2005-11-29 01:17:18

by Michael Krufky

Subject: cx88 totally fried in 2.6.15-rcX -was- Re: HD3000 - no NTSC via tuner

Gene Heskett wrote:

>>>I can report some similar troubles. It has worked with vanilla
>>>kernel up to 2.6.13 on x86 up untill two weeks ago, when I moved the
>>>card to an amd64 system.
>>>
>>>I'm currently running gentoo-sources-2.6.13 on amd64. I have not
>>>tried the newly merged tree with this kernel.
>>>
>>>However with gentoo-sources-2.6.14-r2 I tried the newly merged tree,
>>>and do not get NTSC reception. I have not tried the drivers as
>>>released with 2.6.14 yet, so I'll follow up later on that.
>>>
>>>I'm also having some issues with the VIA Unichrome drivers with
>>>2.6.14, so I may not be able to get far enough to really see whats
>>>happening.
>>>

>>I know that this board uses a Thomson DDT 7610 tuner. I have a
>>FusionHDTV3 Gold-T card that uses Thomson DDT 7611 tuner. I've seen a
>>copy of the datasheet -- both tuners are the same.
>>
>>Now, here's my story: My card was working fine for a good long time,
>>but ever since about 2 months ago, the analog tuner no longer works.
>>ONLY the ATSC digital tuner is working. The tuner does NOT include a
>>tda9887, AFAIK, and I have also tested in windows. Regardless of
>>whether I am using Linux or Windows, I can only view an ATSC digital
>>stream, NTSC analog no longer works at all. Both used to work in both
>>OS's.
>>
>>AFAIK, this is a physical hardware problem, and has nothing to do with
>>any bad coding. For the life of me, I cannot figure out what went
>>wrong.
>>
>>-Mike
>>
>>Maybe Herman, or someone else, might be able to tell us what factors
>>can burn out a hybrid tuner's analog capabilities, and leave digital
>>tuning capabilities intact.
>>
>>Maybe the Thomson DDT 761x tuners are faulty?
>>
>>Can anybody enlighten us?
>>
>Well, based on the note about -rc2-git6 having the v4l stuff reverted,
>I just built it. Same song, same verse. The tuner acts as if the
>antenna has been disconnected and held a fraction of an inch away. The
>video is all digital noise (in VSB), and the audio has a fraction of a
>word now and then, buried in white noise. As my dish receiver has
>about a 65,000 u-volt output, I find that sort of signal loss almost
>unbelievable.
>
>It still takes a cold reboot back to 2.6.14.3 or I think any earlier
>kernel (that worked ok) in order to restore the cards normal operation,
>I'm watching cnn on it right now after having done so.
>
>So to me, there is little difference between git3 and git6. Neither
>works, failing in the same manner exactly, and matching the performance
>of 15-rc2 as issued. I didn't build -rc1, so I can't say exactly where
>the hose got cut.
>
>I'd suggest just blowing the v4l directory in the -rc2 kernel away, and
>replacing it with that from 2.6.14.3 just to get back to a working
>sitiuation that you can then start from scratch on. But whatdoIknow? :)Gene Heskett <[email protected]>

EEK! This is not the problem that I'm having at all..... Then again, I
have a different board.

Gene, telling someone to revert all the v4l changes in 2.6.15 doesn't
help us to fix the actual problem at all, nor will it help them use
their hardware.

Gene, I believe that I asked you to install the cvs modules against
2.6.14, and you told me that doing that works. The code in cvs contains
all the patches that we have sent to 2.6.15 and THEN some. Can you
please confirm that installing the cvs modules from v4l-dvb cvs (v4l and
dvb have merged cvs repo's) against 2.6.14 is NOT broken?? This would
rule out any possibility of the v4l changes in 2.6.15 being the cause of
your problems.

It is WELL established that there are memory errors in 2.6.15 (although
I thought they were all fixed -- guess not). I understand that you are
using some MakeIt script to build your kernel -- have you tried the
standard method?

[...a few minutes go by...]

OKAY, I concur -- When I did my testing for 2.6.15-rc2-git6, that was
with my saa7134-based card, using nxt200x ... success!

However, when I tried using my FusionHDTV3 Gold-T (cx88 card using
lgdt3302), neither analog nor digital works in 2.6.15-rc2-git6....
Under 2.6.13 (and 2.6.14, i think), however, digital DOES work. Analog
still doesnt work, but i believe that my hardware is damaged.

SO, looks like we have a regression somewhere in the kernel that breaks
the cx88 driver :-(

I don't even know where to begin.

...One idea... We also know that upstream changes created some compile
warnings in tuner-core... Hans has fixed that in cvs -- maybe Hans'
patch in v4l-dvb cvs could fix it? Gene, try installing v4l-dvb cvs
against 2.6.15-rc2-git6 (or later) and see if that might fix NTSC.
Somehow, I doubt it -- but it is certainly worth a try.

Regards,

Michael Krufky

2005-11-29 02:27:28

by Gene Heskett

On Monday 28 November 2005 20:17, Michael Krufky wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:

>>>I know that this board uses a Thomson DDT 7610 tuner. I have a
>>>FusionHDTV3 Gold-T card that uses Thomson DDT 7611 tuner. I've seen
>>> a copy of the datasheet -- both tuners are the same.
>>>
>>>Now, here's my story: My card was working fine for a good long time,
>>>but ever since about 2 months ago, the analog tuner no longer works.
>>>ONLY the ATSC digital tuner is working. The tuner does NOT include a
>>>tda9887, AFAIK, and I have also tested in windows. Regardless of
>>>whether I am using Linux or Windows, I can only view an ATSC digital
>>>stream, NTSC analog no longer works at all. Both used to work in
>>> both OS's.
>>>
>>>AFAIK, this is a physical hardware problem, and has nothing to do
>>> with any bad coding. For the life of me, I cannot figure out what
>>> went wrong.
>>>
>>>-Mike
>>>
>>>Maybe Herman, or someone else, might be able to tell us what factors
>>>can burn out a hybrid tuner's analog capabilities, and leave digital
>>>tuning capabilities intact.
>>>
>>>Maybe the Thomson DDT 761x tuners are faulty?
>>>
>>>Can anybody enlighten us?
>>
>>Well, based on the note about -rc2-git6 having the v4l stuff reverted,
>>I just built it. Same song, same verse. The tuner acts as if the
>>antenna has been disconnected and held a fraction of an inch away.
>> The video is all digital noise (in VSB), and the audio has a fraction
>> of a word now and then, buried in white noise. As my dish receiver
>> has about a 65,000 u-volt output, I find that sort of signal loss
>> almost unbelievable.
>>
>>It still takes a cold reboot back to 2.6.14.3 or I think any earlier
>>kernel (that worked ok) in order to restore the cards normal
>> operation, I'm watching cnn on it right now after having done so.
>>
>>So to me, there is little difference between git3 and git6. Neither
>>works, failing in the same manner exactly, and matching the
>> performance of 15-rc2 as issued. I didn't build -rc1, so I can't say
>> exactly where the hose got cut.
>>
>>I'd suggest just blowing the v4l directory in the -rc2 kernel away,
>> and replacing it with that from 2.6.14.3 just to get back to a
>> working sitiuation that you can then start from scratch on. But
>> whatdoIknow? :)Gene Heskett <[email protected]>
>
>EEK! This is not the problem that I'm having at all..... Then again,
> I have a different board.
>
>Gene, telling someone to revert all the v4l changes in 2.6.15 doesn't
>help us to fix the actual problem at all, nor will it help them use
>their hardware.
>
>Gene, I believe that I asked you to install the cvs modules against
>2.6.14, and you told me that doing that works.

No, I never did get it to work Michael, and I believe I said so, mainly
because it wouldn't even compile. ISTR I sent a message with the
compiler exit messages at the time.

Now I'd be willing to try it again, but I'd need exactly the proceedure
as it would apply to a working 2.6.14.x kernel. I don't think I did it
right the last time. My script, fwiw, renames one generation back so
that a bad kernel can be reverted easily by renameing the vmlinuz and
/lib/modules/version-number trees. Its kind of a swiss army knife in
that I comment/uncomment stuff in the buildit (thats another script I
use to apply then patches etc), but the makeit script only needs the
version number updated to match the Makefile and from there its a 'time
./makeit' till I'm done editing grub.conf & ready to reboot. I've taken
note that the recent makefiles apparently does its own depmod operation
when doing the modules_install but haven't taken my command out of it
yet so that gets done twice..

> The code in cvs
> contains all the patches that we have sent to 2.6.15 and THEN some.
> Can you please confirm that installing the cvs modules from v4l-dvb
> cvs (v4l and dvb have merged cvs repo's) against 2.6.14 is NOT
> broken?? This would rule out any possibility of the v4l changes in
> 2.6.15 being the cause of your problems.

See above.

>It is WELL established that there are memory errors in 2.6.15
> (although I thought they were all fixed -- guess not). I understand
> that you are using some MakeIt script to build your kernel -- have you
> tried the standard method?

My script does it essentially the same as one would do it by hand. The
exception being that I understand the Makefile now has an install target
for the kernel, but my script does the copying rather than calling that,
and *I* do the grub.conf editing.

>[...a few minutes go by...]
>
>OKAY, I concur -- When I did my testing for 2.6.15-rc2-git6, that was
>with my saa7134-based card, using nxt200x ... success!
>
>However, when I tried using my FusionHDTV3 Gold-T (cx88 card using
>lgdt3302), neither analog nor digital works in 2.6.15-rc2-git6....
>Under 2.6.13 (and 2.6.14, i think), however, digital DOES work. Analog
>still doesnt work, but i believe that my hardware is damaged.

He should do a full shutdown and cold boot to a kernel he knows works,
and I expect the analog will work again. Warm reboots DO NOT DO IT!

>SO, looks like we have a regression somewhere in the kernel that breaks
>the cx88 driver :-(
>
>I don't even know where to begin.
>

>...One idea... We also know that upstream changes created some compile
>warnings in tuner-core... Hans has fixed that in cvs -- maybe Hans'
>patch in v4l-dvb cvs could fix it? Gene, try installing v4l-dvb cvs
>against 2.6.15-rc2-git6 (or later) and see if that might fix NTSC.
>Somehow, I doubt it -- but it is certainly worth a try.

Like I said, complete instructions please so that we are on the same
page. I still have the rc2-git6 tree that didn't work, so as my script
does a make clean, it should be easy enough to do with the right
instructions. Like what dir in the kernel tree am I supposed to be in
when I issue the cvs checkout command etc.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

by Michael Krufky

Gene Heskett wrote:

> [...]
>and I expect the analog will work again. Warm reboots DO NOT DO IT!
>
>>SO, looks like we have a regression somewhere in the kernel that breaks
>>the cx88 driver :-(
>>
>>I don't even know where to begin.
>>
>>...One idea... We also know that upstream changes created some compile
>>warnings in tuner-core... Hans has fixed that in cvs -- maybe Hans'
>>patch in v4l-dvb cvs could fix it? Gene, try installing v4l-dvb cvs
>>against 2.6.15-rc2-git6 (or later) and see if that might fix NTSC.
>>Somehow, I doubt it -- but it is certainly worth a try.
>>

>Like I said, complete instructions please so that we are on the same
>page. I still have the rc2-git6 tree that didn't work, so as my script
>does a make clean, it should be easy enough to do with the right
>instructions. Like what dir in the kernel tree am I supposed to be in
>when I issue the cvs checkout command etc.

Gene-

Let's go a slightly different route... First off, I must say:

I think that I over-reacted in my previous email. To test, I have
installed v4l-dvb cvs over kernels 2.6.13, 2.6.14, and 2.6.15-rc2-git6,
and all three worked fine with my FusionHDTV3 Gold-T in ATSC mode. It
was the vanilla 2.6.15-rc2-git6 that didnt work for me. With the cvs
modules installed, however, it is working well.

Right now, I am in the process of recompiling my vanilla 2.6.15-rc2-git6
kernel, to confirm that this actually is a new regression. If it is in
fact a regression in 2.6.15, then it is likely to be a v4l regression.
Luckily, Mauro and I have prepared some patchsets to fix some 2.6.15
bugs and compile warnings. It seems that this might be one of the bugs
that is now fixed in cvs.

Anyhow, would you like to give cvs a whirl under your 2.6.15-rc2-git6
kernel?

There is a wiki-howto, located at:
http://linuxtv.org/v4lwiki/index.php/How_to_build_from_CVS

... but I will include instructions in this email for your convenience.

Here's how:

1) Please start with vanilla 2.6.15-rc2-git6 ... Have the kernel already
installed and running.

2) Check-out the newly merged v4l-dvb cvs repository:

cvs -d :pserver:[email protected]:/cvs/video4linux login
cvs -d :pserver:[email protected]:/cvs/video4linux co v4l-dvb

3) Change into the v4l-dvb directory:

cd v4l-dvb

4) (optional) If you are recompiling the cvs modules against a different
kernel, clean the tree and kernel version info:

make distclean

5) Compile the modules:

make

6) Install them: (as root)

make install

7) Reboot the machine

Hopefully, this will fix your problem. Please let me know.

-Michael Krufky

2005-11-29 03:42:34

by Michael Krufky

Michael Krufky wrote:

> Gene Heskett wrote:
>
>> Like I said, complete instructions please so that we are on the same
>> page. I still have the rc2-git6 tree that didn't work, so as my script
>> does a make clean, it should be easy enough to do with the right
>> instructions. Like what dir in the kernel tree am I supposed to be in
>> when I issue the cvs checkout command etc.

Oops.... I forgot to answer this question....

It doesnt matter in what directory you are issuing the commands below...
Although you certainly should NOT issue these within your kernel source,
and you should be inside the newly-downloaded v4l-dvb tree after you
"cd" into it. I recommend either doing this in your ~home directory, or
in /usr/src

> Here's how:
>
> 1) Please start with vanilla 2.6.15-rc2-git6 ... Have the kernel
> already installed and running.
>
> 2) Check-out the newly merged v4l-dvb cvs repository:
>
> cvs -d :pserver:[email protected]:/cvs/video4linux login
> cvs -d :pserver:[email protected]:/cvs/video4linux co v4l-dvb
>
> 3) Change into the v4l-dvb directory:
>
> cd v4l-dvb
>
> 4) (optional) If you are recompiling the cvs modules against a
> different kernel, clean the tree and kernel version info:
>
> make distclean
>
> 5) Compile the modules:
>
> make
>
> 6) Install them: (as root)
>
> make install
>
> 7) Reboot the machine
>
> Hopefully, this will fix your problem. Please let me know.

Cheers,

Michael

2005-11-29 04:23:30

by Gene Heskett

On Monday 28 November 2005 22:37, Michael Krufky wrote:
> [...]
> regression. If it is in fact a regression in 2.6.15, then it is
> likely to be a v4l regression. Luckily, Mauro and I have prepared some
> patchsets to fix some 2.6.15 bugs and compile warnings. It seems that
> this might be one of the bugs that is now fixed in cvs.
>
>Anyhow, would you like to give cvs a whirl under your 2.6.15-rc2-git6
>kernel?
>
>There is a wiki-howto, located at:
>http://linuxtv.org/v4lwiki/index.php/How_to_build_from_CVS
>
>... but I will include instructions in this email for your convenience.
>
>Here's how:
>
>1) Please start with vanilla 2.6.15-rc2-git6 ... Have the kernel
> already installed and running.
>
>2) Check-out the newly merged v4l-dvb cvs repository:
>
> cvs -d :pserver:[email protected]:/cvs/video4linux login
> cvs -d :pserver:[email protected]:/cvs/video4linux co

Got it to that point, but I need to reboot AFTER I disable the modprobe
statement in my r.clocal file. That loads about 25 modules it seems &
I don't want the old code to touch it before I've rebuilt the cvs.

Ok, rebooted to 2.6.15-rc2-git6

>4) (optional) If you are recompiling the cvs modules against a
> different kernel, clean the tree and kernel version info:
>
> make distclean

Skipped

>5) Compile the modules:
>
> make

Working now. Done. The only odd thing was a couple of lines as it
started stateing 'no version now' but several lines later it had found
the kernel version ok.

>6) Install them: (as root)
>
> make install

is this supposed to be make modules_install? I did the plain one.
That seemed to work, a repeat shows this:

[root@coyote v4l-dvb]# make install
make -C /usr/src/v4l-dvb/v4l install
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/v4l-dvb/v4l'

Eliminating old V4L modules (errors on this step is not a problem)..
make[1]: [v4l-rminstall] Error 1 (ignored)

Installing new V4L modules at corresponding Kernel dir...
install -d /lib/modules/2.6.15-rc2-git6/kernel/drivers/media/common
install -m 644 -c ir-common.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.15-rc2-git6/kernel/drivers/media/common
install -d /lib/modules/2.6.15-rc2-git6/kernel/drivers/media/video
install -m 644 -c btcx-risc.ko bttv.ko tda9887.ko tuner.ko tvaudio.ko
tveeprom.ko saa6588.ko tvmixer.ko v4l1-compat.ko v4l2-common.ko
wm8775.ko cs53l32a.ko video-buf.ko video-buf-dvb.ko ir-kbd-gpio.ko
ir-kbd-i2c.ko msp3400.ko tvp5150.ko saa711x.ko saa7134-alsa.ko
saa7134-oss.ko saa7115.ko cx25840.ko saa7127.ko compat_ioctl32.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.15-rc2-git6/kernel/drivers/media/video
install -d /lib/modules/2.6.15-rc2-git6/kernel/drivers/media/video/cx88
install -m 644 -c cx8800.ko cx8802.ko cx88-alsa.ko cx88-blackbird.ko
cx88xx.ko cx88-dvb.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.15-rc2-git6/kernel/drivers/media/video/cx88
install: cannot stat `cx88-alsa.ko': No such file or directory
make[1]: [v4l-install] Error 1 (ignored)
install -d
/lib/modules/2.6.15-rc2-git6/kernel/drivers/media/video/saa7134
install -m 644 -c saa6752hs.ko saa7134.ko saa7134-empress.ko
saa7134-dvb.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.15-rc2-git6/kernel/drivers/media/video/saa7134
install -d
/lib/modules/2.6.15-rc2-git6/kernel/drivers/media/video/em28xx
install -m 644 -c em28xx.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.15-rc2-git6/kernel/drivers/media/video/em28xx
/sbin/depmod -a

Eliminating old DVB modules (errors on this step is not a problem)..
make[1]: [dvb-rminstall] Error 1 (ignored)

Installing new DVB modules at corresponding Kernel dir...
install -d /lib/modules/2.6.15-rc2-git6/kernel/drivers/media/common
install -m 644 -c saa7146.ko saa7146_vv.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.15-rc2-git6/kernel/drivers/media/common
install -d
/lib/modules/2.6.15-rc2-git6/kernel/drivers/media/dvb/frontends
install -m 644 -c cx22702.ko dvb-pll.ko lgdt330x.ko or51132.ko
tda1004x.ko mt352.ko sp887x.ko nxt6000.ko cx24110.ko or51211.ko
nxt200x.ko cx24123.ko mt312.ko stv0299.ko nxt2002.ko bcm3510.ko
dib3000mb.ko dib3000mc.ko ves1820.ko cx22700.ko tda8083.ko ves1x93.ko
stv0297.ko sp8870.ko l64781.ko s5h1420.ko tda10021.ko at76c651.ko
tda80xx.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.15-rc2-git6/kernel/drivers/media/dvb/frontends
install -d /lib/modules/2.6.15-rc2-git6/kernel/drivers/media/dvb/bt8xx
install -m 644 -c bt878.ko dvb-bt8xx.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.15-rc2-git6/kernel/drivers/media/dvb/bt8xx
install -d
/lib/modules/2.6.15-rc2-git6/kernel/drivers/media/dvb/dvb-core
install -m 644 -c dvb-core.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.15-rc2-git6/kernel/drivers/media/dvb/dvb-core
install -d /lib/modules/2.6.15-rc2-git6/kernel/drivers/media/dvb/b2c2
install -m 644 -c b2c2-flexcop.ko b2c2-flexcop-pci.ko
b2c2-flexcop-usb.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.15-rc2-git6/kernel/drivers/media/dvb/b2c2
install -d
/lib/modules/2.6.15-rc2-git6/kernel/drivers/media/dvb/cinergyT2
install -m 644 -c cinergyT2.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.15-rc2-git6/kernel/drivers/media/dvb/cinergyT2
install -d /lib/modules/2.6.15-rc2-git6/kernel/drivers/media/dvb/dvb-usb
install -m 644 -c dvb-usb.ko dvb-usb-vp7045.ko dvb-usb-vp702x.ko
dvb-usb-dtt200u.ko dvb-usb-a800.ko dvb-usb-dibusb-mb.ko
dvb-usb-dibusb-mc.ko dvb-usb-nova-t-usb2.ko dvb-usb-umt-010.ko
dvb-usb-digitv.ko dvb-usb-cxusb.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.15-rc2-git6/kernel/drivers/media/dvb/dvb-usb
install -d /lib/modules/2.6.15-rc2-git6/kernel/drivers/media/dvb/pluto2
install -m 644 -c pluto2.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.15-rc2-git6/kernel/drivers/media/dvb/pluto2
install -d /lib/modules/2.6.15-rc2-git6/kernel/drivers/media/dvb/ttpci
install -m 644 -c budget-core.ko budget.ko ttpci-eeprom.ko budget-av.ko
budget-ci.ko budget-patch.ko dvb-ttpci.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.15-rc2-git6/kernel/drivers/media/dvb/ttpci
install -d
/lib/modules/2.6.15-rc2-git6/kernel/drivers/media/dvb/ttusb-budget
install -m 644 -c dvb-ttusb-budget.o
/lib/modules/2.6.15-rc2-git6/kernel/drivers/media/dvb/ttusb-budget
install -d
/lib/modules/2.6.15-rc2-git6/kernel/drivers/media/dvb/ttusb-dec
install -m 644 -c ttusb_dec.ko ttusbdecfe.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.15-rc2-git6/kernel/drivers/media/dvb/ttusb-dec
/sbin/depmod -a
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/v4l-dvb/v4l'
------------------
Now the acid test, reboot... Humm, rebooted, but the line in rc.local,
that I ran from a vt after logging in as root, did not find the
cx88-dvb module, so nothing is loaded. Odd, maybe a typu the first
time, the second time after starting x seems to have worked.

So lets see if it works. Nope, same symptoms as before, huge amount of
digital noise on-screen, and the audio is thoroughly buried in the
noise. Just like the antenna is unplugged, but there is 60,000-65,000
u-v at the tuners input.

>7) Reboot the machine
>
>Hopefully, this will fix your problem. Please let me know.

And now you know. And I'm gonna cold reboot to 2.6.14.3, which will
restore it, or has several times before.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

by Gene Heskett

On Monday 28 November 2005 22:43, Michael Krufky wrote:
>Michael Krufky wrote:
>> Gene Heskett wrote:
>>> Like I said, complete instructions please so that we are on the same
>>> page. I still have the rc2-git6 tree that didn't work, so as my
>>> script does a make clean, it should be easy enough to do with the
>>> right instructions. Like what dir in the kernel tree am I supposed
>>> to be in when I issue the cvs checkout command etc.
>
>Oops.... I forgot to answer this question....
>
>It doesnt matter in what directory you are issuing the commands
> below... Although you certainly should NOT issue these within your
> kernel source, and you should be inside the newly-downloaded v4l-dvb
> tree after you "cd" into it. I recommend either doing this in your
> ~home directory, or in /usr/src

I built it in /usr/src, seemed to be ok ANAICT. It just didn't work.
Bear in mind I have no ATSC signals out here in the West Virginia hills
yet, all ntsc. So I can't as yet test the ATSC side.

[...]

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

by Michael Krufky

Gene Heskett wrote:

>On Monday 28 November 2005 22:43, Michael Krufky wrote:
>

>>Michael Krufky wrote:

>>Oops.... I forgot to answer this question....
>>
>>It doesnt matter in what directory you are issuing the commands
>>below... Although you certainly should NOT issue these within your
>>kernel source, and you should be inside the newly-downloaded v4l-dvb
>>tree after you "cd" into it. I recommend either doing this in your
>>~home directory, or in /usr/src
>>

>I built it in /usr/src, seemed to be ok ANAICT. It just didn't work.
>Bear in mind I have no ATSC signals out here in the West Virginia hills
>yet, all ntsc. So I can't as yet test the ATSC side.

Very interesting... This whole time I thought that your testing was
using a VSB stream.

So, you're only talking about problems with analog NTSC?

It seems that I might be having a similar (but NOT the same) problem
with my FusionHDTV3 Gold-T, but it has nothing to do with the kernel
version. Let me remind you that this card uses Thomson DDT 7611, and
your card uses Thomson DDT 7610. It simply doesnt work anymore,
regardless of whether I am in Linux or Windows, no matter which kernel
version. Only digital ATSC (using QAM256) is working for me.

I will have to test NTSC using my FusionHDTV5 Gold, installed in my
other box. It doesnt have 2.6.15 installed right now. I will wait for
2.6.15-rc3 to propogate to the kernel.org mirrors before I install it,
so this may take some time. The other card, however, has a TUA6034
tuner, inside an LG TDVS-H062F ... not the same tuner as you this time,
but still a cx88 board.

Anyway, after 2.6.15-rc3 propogates and I get it installed, I'll let you
know how my testing goes. Would you do the same?

Cheers,

Mike

2005-11-29 07:12:22

by Michael Krufky

Michael Krufky wrote:

> Anyway, after 2.6.15-rc3 propogates and I get it installed, I'll let
> you know how my testing goes. Would you do the same?

My FusionHDTV5 Gold card works fine under 2.6.15-rc3 ... Hopefully yours
does too.

/me crosses fingers

-Mike

2005-11-29 15:11:59

by Gene Heskett

On Monday 28 November 2005 23:56, Michael Krufky wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>>>
>>>Oops.... I forgot to answer this question....
>>>
>>>It doesnt matter in what directory you are issuing the commands
>>>below... Although you certainly should NOT issue these within your
>>>kernel source, and you should be inside the newly-downloaded v4l-dvb
>>>tree after you "cd" into it. I recommend either doing this in your
>>>~home directory, or in /usr/src
>>
>>I built it in /usr/src, seemed to be ok ANAICT. It just didn't work.
>>Bear in mind I have no ATSC signals out here in the West Virginia
>> hills yet, all ntsc. So I can't as yet test the ATSC side.
>
>Very interesting... This whole time I thought that your testing was
>using a VSB stream.
>
>So, you're only talking about problems with analog NTSC?

Correct.

And there is one difference between the modprobe cx88-dvb that works,
and the ones that don't. The ones that do report:
kernel: DVB: registering new adapter (cx88[0]).
kernel: DVB: registering frontend 0 (Oren OR51132 VSB/QAM Frontend)...

echoed on the cli, those that don't work are silent.

The complete section from the messages file is:
Nov 28 23:25:55 coyote kernel: Linux video capture interface: v1.00
Nov 28 23:25:55 coyote kernel: cx2388x v4l2 driver version 0.0.5 loaded
Nov 28 23:25:55 coyote kernel: ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LNK2] enabled
at IRQ 5
Nov 28 23:25:55 coyote kernel: ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:01:07.0[A] ->
Link [LNK2] -> GSI 5 (level, low) -> IRQ 5
Nov 28 23:25:55 coyote kernel: CORE cx88[0]: subsystem: 7063:3000,
board: pcHDTV HD3000 HDTV [card=22,autodetected]
Nov 28 23:25:55 coyote kernel: TV tuner 52 at 0x1fe, Radio tuner -1 at
0x1fe
Nov 28 23:25:55 coyote kernel: i2c-algo-bit.o: cx88[0] passed test.
Nov 28 23:25:55 coyote kernel: tuner 2-0061: chip found @ 0xc2 (cx88[0])
Nov 28 23:25:55 coyote kernel: tuner 2-0061: type set to 52 (Thomson DDT
7610 (ATSC/NTSC))
Nov 28 23:25:55 coyote kernel: cx88[0]/0: found at 0000:01:07.0, rev: 5,
irq: 5, latency: 32, mmio: 0xea000000
Nov 28 23:25:55 coyote kernel: cx88[0]/0: registered device video0
[v4l2]
Nov 28 23:25:55 coyote kernel: cx88[0]/0: registered device vbi0
Nov 28 23:25:55 coyote kernel: cx88[0]/0: registered device radio0
Nov 28 23:25:55 coyote kernel: cx2388x dvb driver version 0.0.5 loaded
Nov 28 23:25:55 coyote kernel: ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:01:07.2[A] ->
Link [LNK2] -> GSI 5 (level, low) -> IRQ 5
Nov 28 23:25:55 coyote kernel: cx88[0]/2: found at 0000:01:07.2, rev: 5,
irq: 5, latency: 32, mmio: 0xeb000000
Nov 28 23:25:55 coyote kernel: cx88[0]/2: cx2388x based dvb card

Now, from a 2.6.15-rc2-git6 + cvs boot that doesn't work:
Nov 28 23:15:24 coyote kernel: Linux video capture interface: v1.00
Nov 28 23:15:24 coyote kernel: cx2388x v4l2 driver version 0.0.5 loaded
Nov 28 23:15:24 coyote kernel: ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LNK2] enabled
at IRQ 5
Nov 28 23:15:24 coyote kernel: ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:01:07.0[A] ->
Link [LNK2] -> GSI 5 (level, low) -> IRQ 5
Nov 28 23:15:24 coyote kernel: CORE cx88[0]: subsystem: 7063:3000,
board: pcHDTV HD3000 HDTV [card=22,autodetected]
Nov 28 23:15:24 coyote kernel: TV tuner 52 at 0x1fe, Radio tuner -1 at
0x1fe
Nov 28 23:15:24 coyote kernel: i2c-algo-bit.o: cx88[0] passed test.
Nov 28 23:15:24 coyote kernel: tuner 2-0061: chip found @ 0xc2 (cx88[0])
Nov 28 23:15:24 coyote kernel: tuner 2-0061: type set to 52 (Thomson DDT
7610 (ATSC/NTSC))
Nov 28 23:15:24 coyote kernel: cx88[0]/0: found at 0000:01:07.0, rev: 5,
irq: 5, latency: 32, mmio: 0xea000000
Nov 28 23:15:24 coyote kernel: cx88[0]/0: registered device video0
[v4l2]
Nov 28 23:15:24 coyote kernel: cx88[0]/0: registered device vbi0
Nov 28 23:15:24 coyote kernel: cx88[0]/0: registered device radio0
Nov 28 23:15:25 coyote kernel: cx2388x dvb driver version 0.0.5 loaded
Nov 28 23:15:25 coyote kernel: ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:01:07.2[A] ->
Link [LNK2] -> GSI 5 (level, low) -> IRQ 5
Nov 28 23:15:25 coyote kernel: cx88[0]/2: found at 0000:01:07.2, rev: 5,
irq: 5, latency: 32, mmio: 0xeb000000
Nov 28 23:15:25 coyote kernel: cx88[0]/2: cx2388x based dvb card
Nov 28 23:15:25 coyote kernel: DVB: registering new adapter (cx88[0]).
Nov 28 23:15:25 coyote kernel: DVB: registering frontend 0 (Oren OR51132
VSB/QAM Frontend)...

Which *looks* the same to me, but it doesn't work. Those last 2 lines
that are normally echoed to the cli, are not with the newer code
although they are in the messages log.

>It seems that I might be having a similar (but NOT the same) problem
>with my FusionHDTV3 Gold-T, but it has nothing to do with the kernel
>version. Let me remind you that this card uses Thomson DDT 7611, and
>your card uses Thomson DDT 7610. It simply doesnt work anymore,
>regardless of whether I am in Linux or Windows, no matter which kernel
>version. Only digital ATSC (using QAM256) is working for me.
>
>I will have to test NTSC using my FusionHDTV5 Gold, installed in my
>other box. It doesnt have 2.6.15 installed right now. I will wait for
>2.6.15-rc3 to propogate to the kernel.org mirrors before I install it,
>so this may take some time. The other card, however, has a TUA6034
>tuner, inside an LG TDVS-H062F ... not the same tuner as you this time,
>but still a cx88 board.
>
>Anyway, after 2.6.15-rc3 propogates and I get it installed, I'll let
> you know how my testing goes. Would you do the same?

Yes of course. I need to do some housekeeping in my grub.conf though,
I'm currently up to 24 entries. :) So stuff before 2.6.14 is about to
go away.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

by Michael Krufky

Gene Heskett wrote:

>>I should also add this is with 2.6.14.2 and todays v4l-dvb CVS.
>>

>And I should add that 2.6.14, any version without the cvs update, works
>perfectly in ntsc here. I have to atsc signals available.

Gene,

Would you mind trying to install the cvs modules on top of 2.6.14, using
the instructions that I gave you last night? This will confirm once and
for all whether your problems are due to a v4l regression, or an
upstream regression in 2.6.15.

Michael Krufky

2005-11-29 16:06:31

by Gene Heskett

On Tuesday 29 November 2005 10:52, Michael Krufky wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>>>I should also add this is with 2.6.14.2 and todays v4l-dvb CVS.
>>
>>And I should add that 2.6.14, any version without the cvs update,
>> works perfectly in ntsc here. I have to atsc signals available.
>
>Gene,
>
>Would you mind trying to install the cvs modules on top of 2.6.14,
> using the instructions that I gave you last night? This will confirm
> once and for all whether your problems are due to a v4l regression, or
> an upstream regression in 2.6.15.
>
>Thanks,

Yes, I can do that. I can also confirm that its still borked in -rc3.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

by Gene Heskett

On Tuesday 29 November 2005 11:06, Gene Heskett wrote:

>>>And I should add that 2.6.14, any version without the cvs update,
>>> works perfectly in ntsc here. I have to atsc signals available.
>>
>>Gene,
>>
>>Would you mind trying to install the cvs modules on top of 2.6.14,
>> using the instructions that I gave you last night? This will confirm
>> once and for all whether your problems are due to a v4l regression,
>> or an upstream regression in 2.6.15.
>>
>>Thanks,
>
>Yes, I can do that. I can also confirm that its still borked in -rc3.

Turns out I'd borked the linkages in /lib/modules/2.6.14 with a
previous attempt, so I'm rebuilding 2.6.14 first in order to restore the
linakges. The cvs build is slow, is the -j=1 in the Makefile? Or do I
need to spec that on the cli? I've forgotten. Anyway, its done, so a
reboot is coming up.

And its broken in the same manner for 2.6.14 + cvs. I tried to do a
screen snapshot but the tvtime window was blank in the snapshot.
Didn't we used to have a snapshotter that grabbed only the window with
ficus way back when?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)