2006-02-19 19:11:18

by George Nychis

Subject: kernel panic with unloadable module support... SMP

Hi,

Whenever I compiled unloadable module support into my 2.6.15-r1 kernel, my kernel panic's when booting up when it tries to load a module for the first time.

I had this problem back with the 2.6.14 kernel, but figured it may have been solved since then so I tried it... and still fails.

Unloadable module support would be very helpful to me.

I am using an intel p4 3.0ghz with SMP support built into the kernel.

Please CC me in your responses.

Thanks!
George

2006-02-19 19:15:54

by Adrian Bunk

On Sun, Feb 19, 2006 at 02:11:17PM -0500, George P Nychis wrote:

> Hi,

Hi George,

> Whenever I compiled unloadable module support into my 2.6.15-r1 kernel, my kernel panic's when booting up when it tries to load a module for the first time.
>
> I had this problem back with the 2.6.14 kernel, but figured it may have been solved since then so I tried it... and still fails.
>
> Unloadable module support would be very helpful to me.
>
> I am using an intel p4 3.0ghz with SMP support built into the kernel.

What is 2.6.15-r1 for a kernel?
Is your problem present in an unmodified 2.6.16-rc4 kernel from
ftp.kernel.org?

If yes, please send the exact error messages.
You might capture the messages with a digital camera and send a link to
the photograph.

> Thanks!
> George

cu
Adrian

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.
Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed

2006-02-19 21:30:15

by George Nychis

Okay, I downloaded the 2.6.16-r4 kernel and left it unmodified and I do not get the panic.

Can you suggest anything for me so that I can find what is causing the panic with the gentoo vanilla sources?

http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/gnychis/dsc00257.jpg

Thanks!
George

> On Sun, Feb 19, 2006 at 02:11:17PM -0500, George P Nychis wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>
> Hi George,
>
>> Whenever I compiled unloadable module support into my 2.6.15-r1 kernel,
>> my kernel panic's when booting up when it tries to load a module for
>> the first time.
>>
>> I had this problem back with the 2.6.14 kernel, but figured it may have
>> been solved since then so I tried it... and still fails.
>>
>> Unloadable module support would be very helpful to me.
>>
>> I am using an intel p4 3.0ghz with SMP support built into the kernel.
>
> What is 2.6.15-r1 for a kernel? Is your problem present in an unmodified
> 2.6.16-rc4 kernel from ftp.kernel.org?
>
> If yes, please send the exact error messages. You might capture the
> messages with a digital camera and send a link to the photograph.
>
>> Thanks! George
>
> cu Adrian
>
> --
>
> "Is there not promise of rain?" Ling Tan asked suddenly out of the
> darkness. There had been need of rain for many days. "Only a promise," Lao
> Er said. Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed

by Ben Ford

2006-02-19 21:56:13

by Arjan van de Ven

On Sun, 2006-02-19 at 16:27 -0500, George P Nychis wrote:
> Okay, I downloaded the 2.6.16-r4 kernel and left it unmodified and I do not get the panic.
>
> Can you suggest anything for me so that I can find what is causing the panic with the gentoo vanilla sources?
>
> http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/gnychis/dsc00257.jpg

most of the time that I see this this oops signature the cause is a
mismatch in regparm-ness of a module and the kernel.... (see
CONFIG_REGPARM)

2006-02-20 21:51:46

by Martin Schlemmer

On Sun, 2006-02-19 at 13:51 -0800, Ben Ford wrote:

> George P Nychis wrote:
> > Okay, I downloaded the 2.6.16-r4 kernel and left it unmodified and I do
> not get the panic.
> >
> > Can you suggest anything for me so that I can find what is causing the
> panic with the gentoo vanilla sources?
>
> Gentoo doesn't understand the concept of "vanilla" packages. Make a
> practice of downloading your kernel directly from kernel.org and
> building it yourself.

Uhm, last time I checked, sys-kernel/vanilla-sources was just that -
vanilla kernel.org sources handled by the package manager.

If you check what is in portage currently, there are no 2.6.15-rc or
even _any_ version that have a -rX, so he either used the
gentoo-sources, or he used 2.6.15.1 which had a bug that was fixed in
2.6.16-rc4 (assuming, as there are no 2.6.16-r4 on kernel.org). No way
to know if he don't specify the correct version, or try the same version
directly from kernel.org (which would probably give the same results if
he really did use vanilla-sources).

> Out of 10+ boxes that I've run on Gentoo, only one has worked using
> the Gentoo kernel.

Maybe, but did you file a bug ? No reason for random ranting if you had
issues with their patched kernel. I can name many other distribution
kernels, and some kernel.org ones that had issues, but then it usually
was my own fault if it stayed an issue.

--
Martin Schlemmer

Attachments:
signature.asc (191.00 B)
This is a digitally signed message part

2006-02-20 21:54:35

by Martin Schlemmer

On Sun, 2006-02-19 at 20:15 +0100, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 19, 2006 at 02:11:17PM -0500, George P Nychis wrote:
>
> > Hi,
>
> Hi George,
>
> > Whenever I compiled unloadable module support into my 2.6.15-r1 kernel, my kernel panic's when booting up when it tries to load a module for the first time.
> >
> > I had this problem back with the 2.6.14 kernel, but figured it may have been solved since then so I tried it... and still fails.
> >
> > Unloadable module support would be very helpful to me.
> >
> > I am using an intel p4 3.0ghz with SMP support built into the kernel.
>
> What is 2.6.15-r1 for a kernel?
> Is your problem present in an unmodified 2.6.16-rc4 kernel from
> ftp.kernel.org?

If it was gentoo's vanilla-sources (which is just that - vanilla
kernel.org sources), then no 2.6.x version ever packaged by Gentoo, so
either he had gentoo-sources, which is something totally different (and
not vanilla sources as he specified), or there is a naming issue ...

Martin Schlemmer

Attachments:
signature.asc (191.00 B)
This is a digitally signed message part

2006-02-20 22:03:45

by George Nychis

actually, what I am stating is correct, and yes there is 2.6.15-r_ in portage for vanilla-sources:

monster hedpe # emerge -pv vanilla-sources

Calculating dependencies ...done!
[ebuild R ] sys-kernel/vanilla-sources-2.6.15.1 -build -doc -symlink 0 kB

Total size of downloads: 0 kB

That is using ~x86 keyword.

- George

> On Sun, 2006-02-19 at 20:15 +0100, Adrian Bunk wrote:
>> On Sun, Feb 19, 2006 at 02:11:17PM -0500, George P Nychis wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>
>> Hi George,
>>
>>> Whenever I compiled unloadable module support into my 2.6.15-r1
>>> kernel, my kernel panic's when booting up when it tries to load a
>>> module for the first time.
>>>
>>> I had this problem back with the 2.6.14 kernel, but figured it may
>>> have been solved since then so I tried it... and still fails.
>>>
>>> Unloadable module support would be very helpful to me.
>>>
>>> I am using an intel p4 3.0ghz with SMP support built into the kernel.
>>
>> What is 2.6.15-r1 for a kernel? Is your problem present in an unmodified
>> 2.6.16-rc4 kernel from ftp.kernel.org?
>>

> If it was gentoo's vanilla-sources (which is just that - vanilla
> kernel.org sources), then no 2.6.x version ever packaged by Gentoo, so
> either he had gentoo-sources, which is something totally different (and
> not vanilla sources as he specified), or there is a naming issue ...
>

> Regards,
>
> -- Martin Schlemmer

by Martin Schlemmer

On Mon, 2006-02-20 at 17:00 -0500, George P Nychis wrote:
> actually, what I am stating is correct, and yes there is 2.6.15-r_ in portage for vanilla-sources:
>
> monster hedpe # emerge -pv vanilla-sources
>
> These are the packages that I would merge, in order:
>
> Calculating dependencies ...done!
> [ebuild R ] sys-kernel/vanilla-sources-2.6.15.1 -build -doc -symlink 0 kB
>
> Total size of downloads: 0 kB
>
> That is using ~x86 keyword.

Yup, but its .1 not -r1 ... the official 'stable patch release' or
whatever its officially called done by Greg KH and somebody else. Point
was that it is vanilla sources, and no real reason for them to tell you
to use vanilla sources, except maybe try a newer version to see if its
fixed already.

Hope that helps.

Regards,