2006-03-20 21:08:33

by Seth Goldberg

Subject: KBUILD_BASENAME hoses nvidia driver / vmware build processes

Hi,

Just an FYI -- I just grabbed 2.6.16 and installed it without a
problem. However, when I went to rebuild the nvidia module and vmware
modules, I discovered that the lack of a definition for
KBUILD_BASENAME in linux/include/linux/spinlock.h cause these
components' builds to fail. I added a stupid workaround and was able
to build and install these components, but I wanted to bring this to
your attention.

Best wishes,
---S

2006-03-20 21:15:21

by Matti Aarnio

On Mon, Mar 20, 2006 at 01:08:30PM -0800, Seth Goldberg wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just an FYI -- I just grabbed 2.6.16 and installed it without a
> problem. However, when I went to rebuild the nvidia module and vmware
> modules, I discovered that the lack of a definition for
> KBUILD_BASENAME in linux/include/linux/spinlock.h cause these
> components' builds to fail. I added a stupid workaround and was able
> to build and install these components, but I wanted to bring this to
> your attention.

Do post the note to Nvidia -- they need small fix in conftest.sh
then things work mostly, but I am not 100% sure that things do
work with 2.6.16 (this issue was with nvsound module, I think.)

> Best wishes,
> ---S

/Matti Aarnio

2006-03-20 22:05:16

by Petr Vandrovec

Seth Goldberg wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just an FYI -- I just grabbed 2.6.16 and installed it without a
> problem. However, when I went to rebuild the nvidia module and vmware
> modules, I discovered that the lack of a definition for
> KBUILD_BASENAME in linux/include/linux/spinlock.h cause these
> components' builds to fail. I added a stupid workaround and was able
> to build and install these components, but I wanted to bring this to
> your attention.

For VMware either grab VMware Server beta (though I believe that it is broken
due to '(unsigned long)' added to PAGE_OFFSET; it will be fixed in next beta),
or grab updated modules from
http://platan.vc.cvut.cz/ftp/pub/vmware/vmware-any-any-update98.tar.gz.
Petr Vandrovec

2006-03-21 05:17:19

by Harald Dunkel

Hi Seth,

You might want to check

for Nvidia's cumulative patch.

Regards

Harri
Seth Goldberg wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just an FYI -- I just grabbed 2.6.16 and installed it without a
> problem. However, when I went to rebuild the nvidia module and vmware
> modules, I discovered that the lack of a definition for
> KBUILD_BASENAME in linux/include/linux/spinlock.h cause these
> components' builds to fail. I added a stupid workaround and was able
> to build and install these components, but I wanted to bring this to
> your attention.
>
> Best wishes,
> ---S

Attachments: