2006-03-28 18:53:16

by Ju, Seokmann

Subject: I/O performance measurement tools on Linux

Hi,

Are there any performance measurement tools available that running on
Linux?
I would like to measure disk I/O performance (file system and raw I/O)
on several kernels.
Please lead me to the place.

Thank you,

2006-03-29 03:08:18

by Douglas Gilbert

Subject: Re: I/O performance measurement tools on Linux

Ju, Seokmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Are there any performance measurement tools available that running on
> Linux?
> I would like to measure disk I/O performance (file system and raw I/O)
> on several kernels.
> Please lead me to the place.

The sg3_utils package may help with some raw SCSI
and SATA disk I/O measurements.
sg_dd, sgp_dd and sgm_dd are dd variants that
let you tweak a lot of low level details. The sg_read
utility can be used to measure disk cache throughput,
transport speeds and command overhead.

Recently I have been looking at measuring command overhead.
On the disks that I am testing a zero block READ (i.e.
issue a SCSI READ for zero blocks) is the fastest command.

The most recent released sg3_utils can be found at:
http://www.torque.net/sg [Utilities section]
The latest beta is in the news section of that page.
A description can be found at:
http://www.torque.net/sg/u_index.html

Doug Gilbert

2006-03-29 07:13:10

by Jens Axboe

On Tue, Mar 28 2006, Douglas Gilbert wrote:
> Ju, Seokmann wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Are there any performance measurement tools available that running on
> > Linux?
> > I would like to measure disk I/O performance (file system and raw I/O)
> > on several kernels.
> > Please lead me to the place.
>
> The sg3_utils package may help with some raw SCSI
> and SATA disk I/O measurements.
> sg_dd, sgp_dd and sgm_dd are dd variants that
> let you tweak a lot of low level details. The sg_read
> utility can be used to measure disk cache throughput,
> transport speeds and command overhead.

I wrote a little fio tool that can be used as well, it can use various
types of io engines: libaio, posixaio, regular sync io, direct io, and
SG_IO io. You can write simple job files for it, there are some examples
included in the tar ball.

http://brick.kernel.dk/snaps/

Just grab the latest snapshot, that's usually the least buggy version
:-)

--
Jens Axboe

2006-03-30 06:43:52

by Grant Grundler

On Tue, Mar 28, 2006 at 10:53:14AM -0800, Ju, Seokmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Are there any performance measurement tools available that running on
> Linux?
> I would like to measure disk I/O performance (file system and raw I/O)
> on several kernels.

iozone and bonnie are two well established benchmarks.
Multiple versions of diskbench (aka "db") are also good.
"spew" is a new kid on the block but easy to use.

Hrm...looks like debian dropped iozone from the next release.

> Please lead me to the place.

google is your friend. :)
google can lead to to all of the above if you don't have
debian (ie "apt-get install bonnie++ spew").

Note that having a bench marking tool is just half the battle.
Knowing _what_ the result means is the other half.

hth,
grant