2006-03-29 19:35:25

by JimD

Subject: AMD64 overclock issue with 2.6.16 but not with 2.6.15

Do any one know of any other issues with amd64 and the
2.6.16 series? I have run into a weird issue.

I have an AMD64 3200+ that runs at 2 GHz and runs *very* cool at about
34c. My motherboard makes it pretty easy to overclock so I have
overclocked the 3200+ to 2.2 GHz and it has been running very stable
and still only around 39c.

When I was runing overclocked in 2.6.15 /proc/cpuinfo would show:

jim@keelie$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
cpu family : 15
model : 47
model name : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+
stepping : 2
cpu MHz : 2200.000
cache size : 512 KB
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 1
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr
pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2
syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt lm 3dnowext 3dnow pni
lahf_lm ts fid vid ttp tm stc
bogomips : 4409.17

Now with 2.6.16 it shows:

jim@keelie$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
cpu family : 15
model : 47
model name : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+
stepping : 2
cpu MHz : 2000.000
^^^^^^^^^^
<snip>
bogomips : 4409.17

The bogomips are showing the same though the kernel is not reporting
the correct MHz. If I reboot and check the BIOS, the correct MHz is
reported. I have not run any CPU benchmarks to see if performance is
really going back down to 2000 MHz.

Does anyone have a clue what could be causing this?

Jim

2006-03-29 19:54:12

by Alistair John Strachan

On Wednesday 29 March 2006 20:35, JimD wrote:
> Do any one know of any other issues with amd64 and the
> 2.6.16 series? I have run into a weird issue.
[snip]
> The bogomips are showing the same though the kernel is not reporting
> the correct MHz. If I reboot and check the BIOS, the correct MHz is
> reported. I have not run any CPU benchmarks to see if performance is
> really going back down to 2000 MHz.
>
> Does anyone have a clue what could be causing this?

At a guess, it sounds like you're trying to use cpufreq on an overclocked CPU,
a definitely no-no. Check your config for this option, remove it if desired.

Alistair.

'No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway.'
Third year Computer Science undergraduate.

by JimD

On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 20:54:09 +0100
Alistair John Strachan <[email protected]> wrote:

> At a guess, it sounds like you're trying to use cpufreq on an
> overclocked CPU, a definitely no-no. Check your config for this
> option, remove it if desired.

mnt/sda/usr/src/linux-2.6.15-gentoo-r7
jim@keelie$ grep -i cpufreq .config
# CPUFreq processor drivers
CONFIG_X86_ACPI_CPUFREQ=y
CONFIG_X86_ACPI_CPUFREQ_PROC_INTF=y

/mnt/sda/usr/src/linux-2.6.16-gentoo
jim@keelie$ grep -i cpufreq .config
# CPUFreq processor drivers
CONFIG_X86_ACPI_CPUFREQ=y
CONFIG_X86_ACPI_CPUFREQ_PROC_INTF=y

If I boot into 2.6.15 /proc/cpuinfo show the correct info and the AMD
cool-n-quite thingy is working real well. It put the processor at 1100
MHz or instantly ramps up to 2200 MHz. If I boot into 2.6.16, the AMD
cool-n-quite thingy works, but now the processor goes down to 1000 MHz
or 2000 MHz.

I will recompile 2.6.16 without cpufreq and see if that help.

Jim

2006-03-30 14:32:24

by Philip Lawatsch

Alistair John Strachan wrote:
> On Wednesday 29 March 2006 20:35, JimD wrote:
>> Do any one know of any other issues with amd64 and the
>> 2.6.16 series? I have run into a weird issue.
> [snip]
>> The bogomips are showing the same though the kernel is not reporting
>> the correct MHz. If I reboot and check the BIOS, the correct MHz is
>> reported. I have not run any CPU benchmarks to see if performance is
>> really going back down to 2000 MHz.
>>
>> Does anyone have a clue what could be causing this?
>
> At a guess, it sounds like you're trying to use cpufreq on an overclocked CPU,
> a definitely no-no. Check your config for this option, remove it if desired.

Why is this a nono? I've been using that for quite a while without
problems. It seems that even though I overclocked it the system is
stable at all voltage / frequency steps. (I only modified the reference
clock and not the core voltages)

Also, 2.16 only shows a wrong value, the cpu is clocked at the "correct"
(overclocked) frequency, at least the bogomips value matches what I'm
expecting.

kind regards Philip