2006-08-08 14:55:13

by Alan Stern

Subject: Re: [Linux-usb-users] USB x-pad problems

On Sun, 6 Aug 2006, Christian Axelsson wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I'm having trouble connecting my X-box dancepad to my linux setup.
> I've attached the some logs. The intressting part is that it's working
> fine on all windows machines Ive tested on, including a dualboot using
> the same USB-port on the one where Ive captured these logs. Note that
> the xpad.working.dmesg is taken from another linux system where I
> managed to get it to work.
>
> I've tried 2.6.17-gentoo-r4 and a vanilla 2.6.17.6 with the same results.

>From your log, it looks like the computer has trouble communicating with
the external hub. What happens if you plug the X-box dancepad directly
into the computer, bypassing the hub?

Alan Stern

2006-08-09 16:58:38

by Christian Axelsson

Alan Stern wrote:
> From your log, it looks like the computer has trouble communicating with
> the external hub. What happens if you plug the X-box dancepad directly
> into the computer, bypassing the hub?

From what I know this is directly into my computer (directly into the
motherboard atleast :P).

--
Christian

2006-08-09 17:42:54

by Alan Stern

On Wed, 9 Aug 2006, Christian Axelsson wrote:

> Alan Stern wrote:
> > From your log, it looks like the computer has trouble communicating with
> > the external hub. What happens if you plug the X-box dancepad directly
> > into the computer, bypassing the hub?
>
> From what I know this is directly into my computer (directly into the
> motherboard atleast :P).

I guess the hub is built directly into the X-pad.

This may or may not help... If you build a kernel with CONFIG_USB_DEBUG
set, the dmesg log will then contain more detailed information about what
happens when you plug in the X-pad.

Alan Stern

2006-08-11 15:23:29

by Christian Axelsson

Alan Stern wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Aug 2006, Christian Axelsson wrote:
>
>> Alan Stern wrote:
>>> From your log, it looks like the computer has trouble communicating with
>>> the external hub. What happens if you plug the X-box dancepad directly
>>> into the computer, bypassing the hub?
>> From what I know this is directly into my computer (directly into the
>> motherboard atleast :P).
>
> I guess the hub is built directly into the X-pad.
>
> This may or may not help... If you build a kernel with CONFIG_USB_DEBUG
> set, the dmesg log will then contain more detailed information about what
> happens when you plug in the X-pad.

Said and done. The result, snipped from my kern.log (dmesg buffer got
flooded) is attached... I dont really know what to make out of it except
that it seems to verify that it the pad has it's own hub.

--
Christian