2006-08-11 03:54:53

by Marc Perkel

Subject: Dumb Question

OK - so if I want to download the latest kerkel and compile it - what
files do I need to download and how do I apply the patch?

2006-08-11 04:07:43

by Josef Sipek

Subject: Re: Dumb Question

On Thu, Aug 10, 2006 at 08:54:50PM -0700, Marc Perkel wrote:
> OK - so if I want to download the latest kerkel and compile it - what
> files do I need to download and how do I apply the patch?

I'd suggest starting over at kernelnewbies [1]. They have a lot of how to
get started info.

Josef "Jeff" Sipek.

[1] kernelnewbies.org

--
NT is to UNIX what a doughnut is to a particle accelerator.

2006-08-11 05:19:27

by Marc Perkel

Marc Perkel wrote:
> OK - so if I want to download the latest kerkel and compile it - what
> files do I need to download and how do I apply the patch?

I figured it out - however - the files to download to compile the kernel
should be accessible from the front page of the web site.

2006-08-11 06:03:25

by Jan Engelhardt

>> OK - so if I want to download the latest kerkel and compile it - what
>> files do I need to download and how do I apply the patch?
>
> I figured it out - however - the files to download to compile the kernel should
> be accessible from the front page of the web site.

They are - http://kernel.org/ right on the front. (Click either 2.6.17.8 or
"F", depending on what you need).

Jan Engelhardt

by Jan Engelhardt

>>> I figured it out - however - the files to download to compile the
>>> kernel should be accessible from the front page of the web site.
>>
>> They are - http://kernel.org/ right on the front. (Click either 2.6.17.8
>> or "F", depending on what you need).
>>

> But that doesn't let me compile 2.6.18.

Get a compiler? (And the "F" file.)

> And the patch can't be applied to the 2.6.17.8 kernel.

No, but to the 2.6.17 one. If you want 17.7->17.8, you need the incr one.
Well, which is missing from the frontpage, right.

Jan Engelhardt

by Jesper Juhl

On 11/08/06, Marc Perkel <[email protected]> wrote:
[...]
> and how do I apply the patch?

Please read Documentation/applying-patches.txt in the kernel source
dir after extracting the tarball.

--
Jesper Juhl <[email protected]>

by Jiri Slaby

Jan Engelhardt wrote:
>>> They are - http://kernel.org/ right on the front. (Click either 2.6.17.8
>>> or "F", depending on what you need).
>>>
>> But that doesn't let me compile 2.6.18.

Nothing on the world let you compile 2.6.18, it wasn't released yet ;).

> Get a compiler? (And the "F" file.)
>
>> And the patch can't be applied to the 2.6.17.8 kernel.

See
Documentation/applying-patches.txt
in linux source directory (and other userful docs there -- 00-INDEX and HOWTO as
a beginning)

regards.
--
faculty of informatics, masaryk university, brno, cz
e-mail: jirislaby gmail com, gpg pubkey fingerprint:

2006-08-11 14:14:26

by Randy Dunlap

On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 12:04:18 +0200 Jesper Juhl wrote:

> On 11/08/06, Marc Perkel <[email protected]> wrote:
> [...]
> > and how do I apply the patch?
>
> Please read Documentation/applying-patches.txt in the kernel source
> dir after extracting the tarball.

For a non-web interface, you can use 'ketchup'.
See http://www.selenic.com/ketchup/wiki/

---
~Randy
PS: clearly for Mark (not Jesper)