2006-08-17 14:42:36

by Nico Schottelius

Subject: Memory bank detection available?

Hello!

Is it possible to detect, which memory banks on the mainboard are in use under
Linux/x86?

Thanks for any hints,

Nico

P.S.: Plaese cc, I am not subscribed.

--
``...if there's one thing about Linux users, they're do-ers, not whiners.''
(A quotation of Andy Patrizio I completely agree with)

Attachments:
(No filename) (302.00 B)
signature.asc (827.00 B)
Digital signature

by Bart Hartgers

Subject: Re: Memory bank detection available?

Nico Schottelius wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Is it possible to detect, which memory banks on the mainboard are in use under
> Linux/x86?

dmidecode might do the trick, depending on your BIOS.

Groeten,
Bart

--
Bart Hartgers - TUE Eindhoven - http://plasimo.phys.tue.nl/bart/contact/

2006-08-17 15:03:37

by Nico Schottelius

Bart Hartgers [Thu, Aug 17, 2006 at 04:50:12PM +0200]:
> Nico Schottelius wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > Is it possible to detect, which memory banks on the mainboard are in use under
> > Linux/x86?
> >

> dmidecode might do the trick, depending on your BIOS.

Thanks a lot, dmidecode -t memory did the trick!

Nico

--
``...if there's one thing about Linux users, they're do-ers, not whiners.''
(A quotation of Andy Patrizio I completely agree with)

Attachments:
(No filename) (451.00 B)
signature.asc (827.00 B)
Digital signature

by Andrew Brukhov

> Is it possible to detect, which memory banks on the mainboard are in use under
> Linux/x86?
In teory it is really if your bios have SMBIOS.

--
--------------
Andrew Brukhov

2006-08-21 06:09:13

by Chris Wedgwood

On Thu, Aug 17, 2006 at 04:40:39PM +0200, Nico Schottelius wrote:

> Is it possible to detect, which memory banks on the mainboard are in
> use under Linux/x86?

Usually 0x50..0x53 are the SPDs on the first four memory slots.
Sometimes it's 0x50..0x57 when you have 8-slots but not always.

You can also try dmidecode but dmi infomation tends to be pretty
debious as a whole.