2006-09-08 06:53:31

by Victor Hugo

Subject: [RFC] e-mail clients

As I've learned--most web-clients have a hard time sending text only
e-mail without
wrapping every single line (not very good for patches). Any suggestions
about which client to use on lkml?? Pine?? Mutt??
Thunderbird?? Telnet??

-Victor Hugo

2006-09-08 07:13:37

by Jan Engelhardt

Subject: Re: [RFC] e-mail clients

> As I've learned--most web-clients have a hard time sending text only e-mail
> without
> wrapping every single line (not very good for patches). Any suggestions about
> which client to use on lkml?? Pine?? Mutt??

pine does the job.

> Thunderbird?? Telnet??

Thunderbird is said to not by default, and that you need to set some
option first.

Telnet is something very different.

Jan Engelhardt

by Michal Piotrowski

On 08/09/06, Jan Engelhardt <[email protected]> wrote:
> Telnet is something very different.

You can send patches using telnet

"Telnet - SMTP Commands (sending mail using telnet)"
http://www.yuki-onna.co.uk/email/smtp.html

But there are simpler ways to send patches.

> Jan Engelhardt

Regards,
Michal

--
Michal K. K. Piotrowski
LTG - Linux Testers Group

2006-09-08 08:17:55

by Jan Engelhardt

>> Telnet is something very different.

Even though all four geometric figures in IQ tests have something in comment
(they're triangular for example), they are different to a certain degree that
one falls apart. Any IQ test has some sort of that.
So, which one does not belong in the group?
( ) pine
( ) mutt
( ) Thunderbird
( ) telnet

That was my point.

> You can send patches using telnet

You can also send patches using netcat, you might even be able to use bash
itself! It is not very friendly though, esp. when it comes to attachments or
MIME encoding.

Jan Engelhardt

by Jesper Juhl

On 08/09/06, Victor Hugo <[email protected]> wrote:

> As I've learned--most web-clients have a hard time sending text only
> e-mail without
> wrapping every single line (not very good for patches). Any suggestions
> about which client to use on lkml?? Pine?? Mutt??
> Thunderbird?? Telnet??

I personally use both 'pine' and 'kmail' and they both work perfectly
for sending patches.

--
Jesper Juhl <[email protected]>

by Michal Piotrowski

On 08/09/06, Jan Engelhardt <[email protected]> wrote:
> you might even be able to use bash
> itself! It is not very friendly though, esp. when it comes to attachments or
> MIME encoding.

LOL :)

Bash is a very universal tool - something like EmacsOS.

> Jan Engelhardt

Michal

--
Michal K. K. Piotrowski
LTG - Linux Testers Group
(http://www.stardust.webpages.pl/ltg/)

2006-09-08 08:49:26

by Paolo Ornati

On Thu, 07 Sep 2006 17:02:03 -0700
Victor Hugo <[email protected]> wrote:

> As I've learned--most web-clients have a hard time sending text only
> e-mail without
> wrapping every single line (not very good for patches). Any suggestions
> about which client to use on lkml?? Pine?? Mutt??
> Thunderbird?? Telnet??

Sylpheed / Sylpheed-Claws

I don't remember every version but with Sylpheed-Claws 2.4.0 you can
configure it to wrap (or not):

- typed text
- quoted text
- pasted text

(Configuration -> Prefereces -> Compose -> Wrapping)

Moreover you have the "Insert File" button that inserts a file
"inline" (for wrapping it follows the "pasted text" rule).

Other useful things you can set are:
outgoing encodig (I use ISO-8859-15)
trensfer encoding (I use 8bit)

NOTE: if he can he falls back to US-ASCII / 7bit

--
Paolo Ornati
Linux 2.6.18-rc6 on x86_64

2006-09-08 09:06:45

by Jan Engelhardt

>> you might even be able to use bash
>> itself! It is not very friendly though, esp. when it comes to attachments
>> or
>> MIME encoding.
>
> LOL :)
>
> Bash is a very universal tool - something like EmacsOS.

Except that it is not as bloated as emacs.

cat </dev/tcp/kernel.org/finger
echo -en "EHLO y\nMAIL FROM: [email protected]\nRCPT TO: [email protected]\n..." \
>/dev/tcp/mailer.localdomain/25

Jan Engelhardt

by Rafael J. Wysocki

On Friday, 8 September 2006 10:24, Jesper Juhl wrote:
> On 08/09/06, Victor Hugo <[email protected]> wrote:
> >

> > As I've learned--most web-clients have a hard time sending text only
> > e-mail without
> > wrapping every single line (not very good for patches). Any suggestions
> > about which client to use on lkml?? Pine?? Mutt??
> > Thunderbird?? Telnet??
> >
> I personally use both 'pine' and 'kmail' and they both work perfectly
> for sending patches.

Confirmed.

2006-09-08 10:59:01

by Stefan Richter

Victor Hugo wrote:
> As I've learned--most web-clients have a hard time sending text only
> e-mail without wrapping every single line (not very good for patches).
> Any suggestions about which client to use on lkml?? Pine?? Mutt??
> Thunderbird?? Telnet??

TkRat can be quite conveniently toggled back and forth between
non-wrapping and wrapping editor mode.
--
Stefan Richter
-=====-=-==- =--= -=---

2006-09-08 12:54:59

by Hans-Peter Jansen

Am Freitag, 8. September 2006 10:24 schrieb Jesper Juhl:
> On 08/09/06, Victor Hugo <[email protected]> wrote:
> > As I've learned--most web-clients have a hard time sending text
> > only e-mail without
> > wrapping every single line (not very good for patches). Any
> > suggestions about which client to use on lkml?? Pine?? Mutt??
> > Thunderbird?? Telnet??
>
> I personally use both 'pine' and 'kmail' and they both work perfectly
> for sending patches.

With kmail, you have control over line breaks with Option -> Wrap lines,
which is useful for e.g. pasted syslog data, but remember to enable it
before writing the message, since you have to manually add line breaks
for the entered text too.

Inlined patches should be added via Message -> Insert File to preserve
line breaks and white space.

Pete

2006-09-08 13:19:49

by Gene Heskett

On Friday 08 September 2006 08:54, Hans-Peter Jansen wrote:
>Am Freitag, 8. September 2006 10:24 schrieb Jesper Juhl:
>> On 08/09/06, Victor Hugo <[email protected]> wrote:
>> > As I've learned--most web-clients have a hard time sending text
>> > only e-mail without
>> > wrapping every single line (not very good for patches). Any
>> > suggestions about which client to use on lkml?? Pine?? Mutt??
>> > Thunderbird?? Telnet??
>>
>> I personally use both 'pine' and 'kmail' and they both work perfectly
>> for sending patches.
>
>With kmail, you have control over line breaks with Option -> Wrap lines,
>which is useful for e.g. pasted syslog data, but remember to enable it
>before writing the message, since you have to manually add line breaks
>for the entered text too.
>
>Inlined patches should be added via Message -> Insert File to preserve
>line breaks and white space.

But be sure and turn word wrapping off before inserting the file, or
pasting (usually bad I might add). And my version of kmail wraps the
whole document if the wrapping is turned back on, as it is now. Which
makes it rather frustrating.

>Pete
>-
>To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel"
> in the body of a message to [email protected]

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
message by Gene Heskett are:

by Alistair John Strachan

On Friday 08 September 2006 13:54, Hans-Peter Jansen wrote:
> Am Freitag, 8. September 2006 10:24 schrieb Jesper Juhl:
> > On 08/09/06, Victor Hugo <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > As I've learned--most web-clients have a hard time sending text
> > > only e-mail without
> > > wrapping every single line (not very good for patches). Any
> > > suggestions about which client to use on lkml?? Pine?? Mutt??
> > > Thunderbird?? Telnet??
> >
> > I personally use both 'pine' and 'kmail' and they both work perfectly
> > for sending patches.
>
> With kmail, you have control over line breaks with Option -> Wrap lines,
> which is useful for e.g. pasted syslog data, but remember to enable it
> before writing the message, since you have to manually add line breaks
> for the entered text too.
>
> Inlined patches should be added via Message -> Insert File to preserve
> line breaks and white space.

Another great feature of KMail is the ability to use an external editor for
composition, but not be forced to use it for reading emails. If you find the
KMail composer too clumsy, you can always have it fire up vim or emacs.

Settings -> Configure KMail -> Composer -> External Editor

Alistair.

Final year Computer Science undergraduate.

by Brice Goglin

Victor Hugo wrote:
> As I've learned--most web-clients have a hard time sending text only
> e-mail without
> wrapping every single line (not very good for patches). Any
> suggestions about which client to use on lkml?? Pine?? Mutt??
> Thunderbird?? Telnet??

Mutt does the job very well.

Thunderbird requires that you switch to preformat style before
copy-pasting the patch (or use the external editor extension).

Brice

2006-09-08 16:04:18

by Vadim Lobanov

On Friday 08 September 2006 06:18, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Friday 08 September 2006 08:54, Hans-Peter Jansen wrote:
> >Am Freitag, 8. September 2006 10:24 schrieb Jesper Juhl:
> >> I personally use both 'pine' and 'kmail' and they both work perfectly
> >> for sending patches.
> >
> >With kmail, you have control over line breaks with Option -> Wrap lines,
> >which is useful for e.g. pasted syslog data, but remember to enable it
> >before writing the message, since you have to manually add line breaks
> >for the entered text too.
> >
> >Inlined patches should be added via Message -> Insert File to preserve
> >line breaks and white space.
>
> But be sure and turn word wrapping off before inserting the file, or
> pasting (usually bad I might add). And my version of kmail wraps the
> whole document if the wrapping is turned back on, as it is now. Which
> makes it rather frustrating.

Strange. I leave my KMail to word-wrap always, in which case Message -> Insert
File automatically turns off any and all text munging when it is inserting
the chosen file. No need to toggle any switches here, either before or after
inserting.

FWIW, KMail 1.9.1 shipped with openSUSE 10.1

-- Vadim Lobanov

2006-09-08 16:06:54

by Ondrej Zary

On Friday 08 September 2006 15:18, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Friday 08 September 2006 08:54, Hans-Peter Jansen wrote:
> >>
> >> I personally use both 'pine' and 'kmail' and they both work perfectly
> >> for sending patches.
> >
> >With kmail, you have control over line breaks with Option -> Wrap lines,
> >which is useful for e.g. pasted syslog data, but remember to enable it
> >before writing the message, since you have to manually add line breaks
> >for the entered text too.
> >
> >Inlined patches should be added via Message -> Insert File to preserve
> >line breaks and white space.
>
> But be sure and turn word wrapping off before inserting the file, or
> pasting (usually bad I might add). And my version of kmail wraps the
> whole document if the wrapping is turned back on, as it is now. Which
> makes it rather frustrating.

To workaround this, I first type the message with wordwrapping on, then close
the message window and let it save the message to Drafts. Then repoen the
message from Drafts, turn off wordwrap and insert the patch using
Message->Insert File. It's not great but still better than Thunderbird.

--
Ondrej Zary

2006-09-08 19:03:53

by Oleg Verych

Subject: LKML FAQ, newsgroups and newbies (was Re: [RFC] e-mail clients)

Jesper Juhl wrote:
> On 08/09/06, Victor Hugo <[email protected]> wrote:
>> about which client to use on lkml?? Pine?? Mutt??
>> Thunderbird?? Telnet??
>>
> I personally use both 'pine' and 'kmail' and they both work perfectly
> for sending patches.

Why NNTP was abandoned and development switched to pure SMTP+maillist ?

Pros and cons are. Classic NNTP consider "courtesy copies" (Cc) to be impolite,
pure SMTP eases scripting of handling patches. But, adding CCs to NNTP postings
is possible, while reading big volumes is very convenient. Any backend SMTP
MUA/MTA may be used for patch-handling job. Discussion about (any web-based)
bugzilla vs e-mail, applies to NNTP: there are many readers (with e-mail
support as well), easy managing, ASCII.

IMHO it's very good start for anyone. Thus i've found a way to step into
development even i'm not cs, guru, hacker, just unix-like os (stupid) user,
even have had read all that treating discussions about lkml volumes.

I use Mozilla-newsreader-gmane.org + SMTP MTA | mutt MUA, but couldn't yet
develop patch handling, i didn't write a good one yet.

So things like:
* press articles' questions "It's so many messages in LKML, how one can read
them all ???",
* SMTP@spam (key is _@_ ;),
* e-mail handling headache,
is prize for not using NNTP as a primary. I really want to see reasonable
explanations on question above. FAQ has "COLA = comp.os.linux.announce
(newsgroup)", nothing more about NNTP as it used to be used.

-*- OT -*-

On every LKML post there's a message about FAQ URL, that page has
"NOTE: this page is no longer maintained..." (Dot coms boomed) Many
linux-related sites also outdated. Advogato is going down (well most of linux
developers moved from it years ago), we are getting older, having families,
children, something becomes more/less important. So that's next ? (hopefully
not an accelerated kernel-XML-Parser 4 Desktop Linux (R) ;)

Maybe linux-kernel need new blood ? Victor Hugo, being not from
linux-visionaries, you're welcome.

--
-o--=O`C /. .\ (i want ..., but with ENOPATCH) (+)
#oo'L O o |

2006-09-08 22:54:26

by Pavel Machek

On Fri 08-09-06 10:17:04, Jan Engelhardt wrote:

> >> Telnet is something very different.
>
> Even though all four geometric figures in IQ tests have something in comment
> (they're triangular for example), they are different to a certain degree that
> one falls apart. Any IQ test has some sort of that.
> So, which one does not belong in the group?
> ( ) pine
> ( ) mutt
> ( ) Thunderbird
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
thunderbird -- the only one that requires X :-).

> ( ) telnet
>
> That was my point.

Pavel
--
IQ 5 -- can detect light

2006-09-12 03:32:56

by Randy Dunlap

> As I've learned--most web-clients have a hard time sending text only
> e-mail without
> wrapping every single line (not very good for patches). Any
suggestions
> about which client to use on lkml?? Pine?? Mutt??
> Thunderbird?? Telnet??

pine (but make sure that it doesn't truncate trailing whitespace)
or mutt or sylpheed are all good. tbird can be coerced into
working but it's not much fun (well, using attachments is easy,
but not good for people when reviewing/commenting on patches).

---
~Randy

2006-09-12 07:09:28

by Jan Engelhardt

>pine (but make sure that it doesn't truncate trailing whitespace)

Truncating whitespace at EOL is a good thing. Otherwise, quilt says

Warning: trailing whitespace in lines 237,364 of
net/ipv4/netfilter/regexp/regexp.c
Warning: trailing whitespace in line 57 of
net/ipv4/netfilter/regexp/regsub.c
Warning: trailing whitespace in lines 307,308,309 of
net/ipv4/netfilter/ipt_layer7.c

for example. Long lines are usually not broken up if pasted verbatim as this example line will show for sure abc.

pine wraps text only when typing (at least that's how I configured
mine), so it is all safe.

Jan Engelhardt

by Stefan Richter

Jan Engelhardt wrote:
>> pine (but make sure that it doesn't truncate trailing whitespace)
>
> Truncating whitespace at EOL is a good thing.
[...]

Trailing whitespace should be removed before generating the patch, not
while sending the patch.
--
Stefan Richter
-=====-=-==- =--= -==--

2006-09-12 15:40:30

by Lee Revell

On Mon, 2006-09-11 at 20:32 -0700, Randy Dunlap wrote:

> > As I've learned--most web-clients have a hard time sending text only
> > e-mail without
> > wrapping every single line (not very good for patches). Any
> suggestions
> > about which client to use on lkml?? Pine?? Mutt??
> > Thunderbird?? Telnet??
>
> pine (but make sure that it doesn't truncate trailing whitespace)
> or mutt or sylpheed are all good. tbird can be coerced into
> working but it's not much fun (well, using attachments is easy,
> but not good for people when reviewing/commenting on patches).

It's easy to post correct patches with Evolution...

Lee

2006-09-12 17:37:22

by Segher Boessenkool

>> Truncating whitespace at EOL is a good thing.
> [...]
>
> Trailing whitespace should be removed before generating the patch, not
> while sending the patch.

And not even then, when the patch is removing trailing
whitespace :-)

Segher

2006-09-12 23:15:29

by Randy Dunlap

On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 09:08:37 +0200 (MEST) Jan Engelhardt wrote:

> >pine (but make sure that it doesn't truncate trailing whitespace)
>
> Truncating whitespace at EOL is a good thing. Otherwise, quilt says
>
> Warning: trailing whitespace in lines 237,364 of
> net/ipv4/netfilter/regexp/regexp.c
> Warning: trailing whitespace in line 57 of
> net/ipv4/netfilter/regexp/regsub.c
> Warning: trailing whitespace in lines 307,308,309 of
> net/ipv4/netfilter/ipt_layer7.c

Of course. But there were/are versions of pine that truncate
whitespace "for you," even if such truncation is not desired,
independent of quilt et al. So one wouldn't want to use that
"feature" for kernel patches.

> for example. Long lines are usually not broken up if pasted verbatim as this example line will show for sure abc.
>
> pine wraps text only when typing (at least that's how I configured
> mine), so it is all safe.

---
~Randy