2006-09-14 10:17:47

by Thomas Richter

Subject: APIC on Asus M2N SLI Deluxe

Hi folks,

recently, I tried to upgrade the bios of the ASUS M2N SLI Deluxe
board from release 0202 to 0307. With the 0307 bios, I get a kernel
panic that the APIC cannot be found. Concerning this, I've two
explanations, could possibly confirm someone here this:

a) the kernel has a workaround against some bios flaw of the ASUS
board that only works for the 0202 and which does not recognize the
0307 bios as problematic, so it fails on the newer bios,

- or -

b) ASUS managed to screw the bios for 0307, even though 0202 was
fine.

It's not a major problem for me right now, the 0202 bios works like
a charm with the 2.6.17.8 kernel. I'm just curious.

So long,
Thomas

2006-09-17 19:21:50

by Gerd v. Egidy

Subject: Re: APIC on Asus M2N SLI Deluxe

Hi Thomas,

> recently, I tried to upgrade the bios of the ASUS M2N SLI Deluxe
> board from release 0202 to 0307. With the 0307 bios, I get a kernel
> panic that the APIC cannot be found. Concerning this, I've two
> explanations, could possibly confirm someone here this:

I can confim this problem.

I think Asus screwed up the bios...

> It's not a major problem for me right now, the 0202 bios works like
> a charm with the 2.6.17.8 kernel. I'm just curious.

I need Wake-On-LAN and that doesn't work with 0202 and is fixed with 0307. I
boot the system with the noapic option.

Kind regards,

Gerd

2006-09-17 20:03:41

by Olivier Nicolas

Beta BIOS 706 runs fine on my system.

>Hi Thomas,
>
>> recently, I tried to upgrade the bios of the ASUS M2N SLI Deluxe
>> board from release 0202 to 0307. With the 0307 bios, I get a kernel
>> panic that the APIC cannot be found. Concerning this, I've two
>> explanations, could possibly confirm someone here this:
>
>I can confim this problem.
>
>I think Asus screwed up the bios...
>
>> It's not a major problem for me right now, the 0202 bios works like
>> a charm with the 2.6.17.8 kernel. I'm just curious.
>
>I need Wake-On-LAN and that doesn't work with 0202 and is fixed with
>0307. I
>boot the system with the noapic option.
>
>Kind regards,
>
>Gerd

2006-09-17 20:03:35

by Prakash Punnoor

Am Sonntag 17 September 2006 21:21 schrieb Gerd v. Egidy:
> Hi Thomas,
>
> > recently, I tried to upgrade the bios of the ASUS M2N SLI Deluxe
> > board from release 0202 to 0307. With the 0307 bios, I get a kernel
> > panic that the APIC cannot be found. Concerning this, I've two
> > explanations, could possibly confirm someone here this:
>
> I can confim this problem.

Does it boot with no_timer_check boot parameter?
--
(?= =?)
//\ Prakash Punnoor /\\

Attachments:
(No filename) (498.00 B)
(No filename) (189.00 B)

by Gerd v. Egidy

On Sunday 17 September 2006 22:03, you wrote:
> Beta BIOS 706 runs fine on my system.

706 Beta? I could only find a 0402 beta on the Asus page. The 0402 has the
same apic bug as 0307.

Kind regards,

Gerd

2006-09-18 16:04:40

by Gerd v. Egidy

> > > recently, I tried to upgrade the bios of the ASUS M2N SLI Deluxe
> > > board from release 0202 to 0307. With the 0307 bios, I get a kernel
> > > panic that the APIC cannot be found. Concerning this, I've two
> > > explanations, could possibly confirm someone here this:
> >
> > I can confim this problem.
>
> Does it boot with no_timer_check boot parameter?

no, same bug.

Booting with apic=debug as suggested in the error message doesn't reveal any
additional details. Maybe I have to compile with some special debug options?

Kind regards,

Gerd

2006-09-18 16:17:55

by Prakash Punnoor

Am Montag 18 September 2006 18:04 schrieb Gerd v. Egidy:

> > > I can confim this problem.
> >
> > Does it boot with no_timer_check boot parameter?
>
> no, same bug.
>
> Booting with apic=debug as suggested in the error message doesn't reveal
> any additional details. Maybe I have to compile with some special debug
> options?

I don't think so. I once had the same problem with my board. On 2.6.16.x I got
same message. 2.6.18-rcx booted further, but hanged. Above parameter helped
though with 2.6.18-rc. As I haven't tested 2.6.17 nor 2.6.16 with obve
parameter, I could only guess. The real fix for me though was to disable the
nvidia quirk. Then my system boots and runs fine with 2.6.18-rc kernel w/o
any additional parameter. You may want to look into:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=115545986619977&w=2

(°= =°)
//\ Prakash Punnoor /\\
V_/ \_V