2006-12-04 16:49:10

by Stephane Eranian

Subject: 2.6.19 new perfmon code base + libpfm + pfmon

Hello,

I have released another version of the perfmon new code base packages.

There is no major updates in this version compared to 061127. This is
a convenience release so that people can use plain 2.6.19.

The perfmon2 kernel changes are:
- fix UP exit bug in system-wide mode where the active context
accounting was done incorrectly.
- MIPS update to correct register hardware addresses (Phil Mucci)

I have also released a new libpfm, libpfm-3.2-061204 with the
following changes:
- updated MIPS processor detection code

Also a new version of pfmon, pfmon-3.2-061204 with the following changes:
- fix various perfmon v2.0 compatibility bugs for IA-64
- fortify return values for read() (will Cohen)

Both libpfm and pfmon releases work with kernel-patch 061127 or 061204.

You can grab the new packages at our web site:

http://perfmon2.sf.net

Enjoy,

--
-Stephane

2006-12-05 17:28:10

by William Cohen

Subject: Re: [perfmon] 2.6.19 new perfmon code base + libpfm + pfmon

Stephane Eranian wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have released another version of the perfmon new code base packages.
>
> There is no major updates in this version compared to 061127. This is
> a convenience release so that people can use plain 2.6.19.
>
> The perfmon2 kernel changes are:
> - fix UP exit bug in system-wide mode where the active context
> accounting was done incorrectly.
> - MIPS update to correct register hardware addresses (Phil Mucci)
>
> I have also released a new libpfm, libpfm-3.2-061204 with the
> following changes:
> - updated MIPS processor detection code
>
> Also a new version of pfmon, pfmon-3.2-061204 with the following changes:
> - fix various perfmon v2.0 compatibility bugs for IA-64
> - fortify return values for read() (will Cohen)
>
> Both libpfm and pfmon releases work with kernel-patch 061127 or 061204.
>
> You can grab the new packages at our web site:
>
> http://perfmon2.sf.net
>
> Enjoy,

Some of the ptrace functions (e.g. ptrace_may_attach in perfmon_syscall.c)
being used in the perfmon kernel patches will go away with the utrace patches:
http://people.redhat.com/roland/utrace/

-Will

2006-12-05 22:37:46

by Christoph Hellwig

On Tue, Dec 05, 2006 at 12:24:36PM -0500, William Cohen wrote:
> Some of the ptrace functions (e.g. ptrace_may_attach in perfmon_syscall.c)
> being used in the perfmon kernel patches will go away with the utrace
> patches: http://people.redhat.com/roland/utrace/

At least for ptrace_may_attach that's not true in the lastest version
from Roland - in fact it's the last unconditional function in ptrace.c
in that version. I suggested to him to rename and move it in my review,
though.

2006-12-06 21:42:57

by William Cohen

Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 05, 2006 at 12:24:36PM -0500, William Cohen wrote:
>
>>Some of the ptrace functions (e.g. ptrace_may_attach in perfmon_syscall.c)
>>being used in the perfmon kernel patches will go away with the utrace
>>patches: http://people.redhat.com/roland/utrace/
>

> At least for ptrace_may_attach that's not true in the lastest version
> from Roland - in fact it's the last unconditional function in ptrace.c
> in that version. I suggested to him to rename and move it in my review,
> though.

Sorry. I meant the function ptrace_check_attach(). -Will