2007-02-09 21:55:11

by James Ketrenos

Subject: [ANNOUNCE] d80211 based driver for Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG

Please hold all questions until I am done with this email. Thank you.

We are pleased to announce the availability of a new driver for the
Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection adapter. This new driver
uses the new d80211 subsystem previously only available as part of the
wireless-dev tree.

You can find the new driver, and additional information about it, here:

http://intellinuxwireless.org/iwlwifi.

Within the new driver package are sources which we plan to submit for
kernel inclusion as well as scripts and patches which create a version
of the driver which can be loaded into kernels based on 2.6.18 and newer
(provided you have installed the d80211 subsystem as well) The README
document can walk you through pretty quickly.

Since a lot of our users are not able to move to the latest versions of
the Linux kernel, we have put together a d80211 package allowing the
installation of the d80211 subsystem into an existing kernel image
without the need to migrate to wireless-dev, or upgrade to a newer
kernel at all (assuming you are using 2.6.18 or newer).

You can find that package at:

http://intellinuxwireless.org/d80211

Ok. Now... any questions?

Thanks,
James / Intel Corporation

2007-02-09 22:14:48

by Alon Bar-Lev

On 2/9/07, James Ketrenos <[email protected]> wrote:
> Ok. Now... any questions?

No... Just that it is great news!

Best Regards,
Alon Bar-Lev.

2007-02-09 22:27:00

by NeilBrown

On Friday February 9, [email protected] wrote:

> Ok. Now... any questions?

Yes. Does this require a closed user-space helper like the other
3945ABG driver, or is it completely open (maybe excepting firmware)?

Thanks,
NeilBrown

2007-02-09 22:35:01

by James Ketrenos

Neil Brown wrote:
> On Friday February 9, [email protected] wrote:
>> Ok. Now... any questions?
>
> Yes. Does this require a closed user-space helper like the other
> 3945ABG driver, or is it completely open (maybe excepting firmware)?

The iwlwifi driver for the 3945 does not require the user space daemon,
but does require a new microcode image.

Over the past year we were able to make the necessary changes to the
microcode used with the 3945 such that we were able to remove the
regulatory daemon.

James

2007-02-09 23:10:47

by Stefan Schmidt

Hello.

On Sat, 2007-02-10 at 09:26, Neil Brown wrote:
> On Friday February 9, [email protected] wrote:
> >
> > Ok. Now... any questions?
> >

> Yes. Does this require a closed user-space helper like the other
> 3945ABG driver, or is it completely open (maybe excepting firmware)?

Quote from the mentioned website:

"In addition to using the new d80211 subsystem, this project uses a
new microcode image which removes the need for the user space
regulatory daemon for this adapter"

regards
Stefan Schmidt

Attachments:
(No filename) (520.00 B)
signature.asc (241.00 B)
Digital signature

by Norbert Preining

Hi all!

On Fre, 09 Feb 2007, James Ketrenos wrote:
> We are pleased to announce the availability of a new driver for the
> Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection adapter. This new driver

I am impressed: I had 2.6.20 running with ipw3945 + wpa_supplicant. I
installed the d80211 system and the new driver, rebooted, and you won't
believe it, I had network connection even with WEP encryption.

That was a big surprise for me that it worked out of the box without any
magic.

If you are interested in any dmesg/log output, please let me know.

Ahhh ... one thing: The LED on my Acer Laptop (TM3012) does not show up,
maybe because I have CONFIG_D80211_LEDS off?

Again, thanks a lot for the good work!

Norbert

Dr. Norbert Preining <[email protected]> Universit? di Siena
Debian Developer <[email protected]> Debian TeX Group
HARPENDEN (n.)
The coda to a phone conversion, consisting of about eight exchanges,
by which people try gracefully to get off the line.
--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff

2007-02-10 03:26:23

by Nick Kossifidis

> Over the past year we were able to make the necessary changes to the
> microcode used with the 3945 such that we were able to remove the
> regulatory daemon.

Great news !! Congratz ;-)

--
As you read this post global entropy rises. Have Fun ;-)
Nick

2007-02-10 13:40:52

by Christian Hesse

On Friday 09 February 2007 22:12, James Ketrenos wrote:
> We are pleased to announce the availability of a new driver for the
> Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection adapter.

Wow, great news on this rainy saturday! ;-)

The driver works perfectly, I'm writing this mail via wireless link. However
there are two things to note:

The driver generates two network devices. The second one is for promicious
mode? Is there any chance to disable the interface? ifrename renamed the
wrong one to wlan0 and I had to tell my system to use eth1 for the wireless
connection.

Second problem is that I can't unload the module. I get the message "FATAL:
Module iwlwifi is in use." even if both interfaces are down.
Chris

Attachments:
(No filename) (735.00 B)
(No filename) (189.00 B)

by Christian Hesse

On Saturday 10 February 2007 14:23, Hesse, Christian wrote:
> On Friday 09 February 2007 22:12, James Ketrenos wrote:
> > We are pleased to announce the availability of a new driver for the
> > Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection adapter.
>
> Wow, great news on this rainy saturday! ;-)
>
> The driver works perfectly, I'm writing this mail via wireless link.
> However there are two things to note:
>
> The driver generates two network devices. The second one is for promicious
> mode? Is there any chance to disable the interface? ifrename renamed the
> wrong one to wlan0 and I had to tell my system to use eth1 for the wireless
> connection.
>
> Second problem is that I can't unload the module. I get the message "FATAL:
> Module iwlwifi is in use." even if both interfaces are down.

Oh, I forgot one note: "make patch_kernel" is terribly broken. Any chance to
get this fixed soon?
Chris

Attachments:
(No filename) (918.00 B)
(No filename) (189.00 B)

by Theodore Ts'o

On Fri, Feb 09, 2007 at 01:12:42PM -0800, James Ketrenos wrote:
> Please hold all questions until I am done with this email. Thank you.
>
> We are pleased to announce the availability of a new driver for the
> Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection adapter. This new driver
> uses the new d80211 subsystem previously only available as part of the
> wireless-dev tree.

Very cool! Is it likely that d80211 and iwlwifi will be pushed into
mainline in time for 2.6.21?

Regards,

- Ted

2007-02-10 16:44:54

by John W. Linville

On Sat, Feb 10, 2007 at 11:22:54AM -0500, Theodore Tso wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 09, 2007 at 01:12:42PM -0800, James Ketrenos wrote:
> > Please hold all questions until I am done with this email. Thank you.
> >
> > We are pleased to announce the availability of a new driver for the
> > Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection adapter. This new driver
> > uses the new d80211 subsystem previously only available as part of the
> > wireless-dev tree.
>
> Very cool! Is it likely that d80211 and iwlwifi will be pushed into
> mainline in time for 2.6.21?

Hmmm...I think we need to spend a cycle or so in -mm. 2.6.22 seems
more likely for mainline.

John
--
John W. Linville

by Pavel Roskin

Quoting "John W. Linville" <[email protected]>:

> > Very cool! Is it likely that d80211 and iwlwifi will be pushed into
> > mainline in time for 2.6.21?
>
> Hmmm...I think we need to spend a cycle or so in -mm. 2.6.22 seems
> more likely for mainline.

I think we should take this as a goal. Last time I checked, d80211 wasn't in
-mm. Perhaps it should go there. And by the way, the latest changes from
netdev->class_dev to netdev->dev break d80211. Perhaps we should rebase
wireless-dev immediately after 2.6.21-rc1, fix all compile issues and submit
the patch to -mm.

And iwlwifi is surprisingly good for a just announced driver. It worked for me
from the first attempt, and that's the first d80211 driver to do so. In my
opinion, it should go to wireless-dev as soon as possible so it can go to -mm
toghether with other drivers. A couple of wrinkles in the standalone build
system are irrelevant to the kernel interation.

Pavel Roskin

2007-02-10 18:42:22

by Michael Büsch

On Saturday 10 February 2007 17:22, Theodore Tso wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 09, 2007 at 01:12:42PM -0800, James Ketrenos wrote:
> > Please hold all questions until I am done with this email. Thank you.
> >
> > We are pleased to announce the availability of a new driver for the
> > Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection adapter. This new driver
> > uses the new d80211 subsystem previously only available as part of the
> > wireless-dev tree.
>
> Very cool! Is it likely that d80211 and iwlwifi will be pushed into
> mainline in time for 2.6.21?

Not at all.

--
Greetings Michael.

2007-02-10 23:15:27

by John W. Linville

On Sat, Feb 10, 2007 at 12:53:51PM -0500, Pavel Roskin wrote:
> Quoting "John W. Linville" <[email protected]>:
>
> > > Very cool! Is it likely that d80211 and iwlwifi will be pushed into
> > > mainline in time for 2.6.21?
> >
> > Hmmm...I think we need to spend a cycle or so in -mm. 2.6.22 seems
> > more likely for mainline.
>
> I think we should take this as a goal. Last time I checked, d80211 wasn't in
> -mm. Perhaps it should go there. And by the way, the latest changes from
> netdev->class_dev to netdev->dev break d80211. Perhaps we should rebase
> wireless-dev immediately after 2.6.21-rc1, fix all compile issues and submit
> the patch to -mm.

That is basically the plan. :-)

John
--
John W. Linville

by Johannes Berg

On Sat, 2007-02-10 at 14:23 +0100, Hesse, Christian wrote:

> The driver generates two network devices. The second one is for promicious
> mode? Is there any chance to disable the interface?

The second one is the so-called "master" interface which is used for QoS
stuff. We're working on hiding it until a better solution for QoS
evolves (which has been a plan for a while.)

johannes

Attachments:
signature.asc (190.00 B)
This is a digitally signed message part

2007-02-12 16:32:20

by drago01

Hesse, Christian wrote:
> On Saturday 10 February 2007 14:23, Hesse, Christian wrote:
>
>> On Friday 09 February 2007 22:12, James Ketrenos wrote:
>>
>>> We are pleased to announce the availability of a new driver for the
>>> Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection adapter.
>>>
>> Wow, great news on this rainy saturday! ;-)
>>
>> The driver works perfectly, I'm writing this mail via wireless link.
>> However there are two things to note:
>>
>> The driver generates two network devices. The second one is for promicious
>> mode? Is there any chance to disable the interface? ifrename renamed the
>> wrong one to wlan0 and I had to tell my system to use eth1 for the wireless
>> connection.
>>
>> Second problem is that I can't unload the module. I get the message "FATAL:
>> Module iwlwifi is in use." even if both interfaces are down.
>>

> Oh, I forgot one note: "make patch_kernel" is terribly broken. Any chance to
> get this fixed soon?

confirmed on my box it resulted in deleting all kernel modules.
(had to reinstall the kernel)
(make modules in /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build after make patch_kernel)
this was on fc6 x86_64

2007-02-12 19:17:45

by James Ketrenos

Hesse, Christian wrote:
> On Saturday 10 February 2007 14:23, Hesse, Christian wrote:
>> On Friday 09 February 2007 22:12, James Ketrenos wrote:
>>> We are pleased to announce the availability of a new driver for the
>>> Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection adapter.
> Oh, I forgot one note: "make patch_kernel" is terribly broken. Any chance to
> get this fixed soon?

I've put up a new version of iwlwifi (0.0.6) with significant changes to
the patch_kernel scripts as well as including Pavel's patch to KSRC.

I performed some build testing with 2.6.18 and wireless-dev @ commit
f66e5aaa88c1c0a7ee6c6427d6535ed8afd35427 (Jan 8).

http://intellinuxwireless.org/?n=downloads

Let me know if it is still breaking.

Thanks,
James

2007-02-13 13:58:49

by Ismail Dönmez

On Friday 09 February 2007 23:12:42 James Ketrenos wrote:
> Please hold all questions until I am done with this email. Thank you.
>
> We are pleased to announce the availability of a new driver for the
> Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection adapter. This new driver
> uses the new d80211 subsystem previously only available as part of the
> wireless-dev tree.
>
> You can find the new driver, and additional information about it, here:
>
> http://intellinuxwireless.org/iwlwifi.

Tried this is on a patched 2.6.20 kernel with ipw3945 device and it always
puts the card in 802.11a mode instead of 802.11bg mode.

Ideas?

Regards,
ismail

2007-02-13 15:10:29

by Jeff Chua

On 2/13/07, Ismail D?nmez <[email protected]> wrote:

> Tried this is on a patched 2.6.20 kernel with ipw3945 device and it always
> puts the card in 802.11a mode instead of 802.11bg mode.
>
> Ideas?

Before running "iwconfig wlan0 channel 8", the card is set to
802.11a mode. iwconfig shows rate at 54Mb/s. But after setting the
channel, it sets to 802.11b mode, and I can't find a way to change
from 11Mb/s to 54MB/s.

"iwlist eth0 rate" only show up to 11Mb/s.

So, my problem is the card is always in 802.11b mode.

Thanks,
Jeff.

2007-02-13 16:57:04

by Ismail Dönmez

On Tuesday 13 February 2007 17:10:24 Jeff Chua wrote:
> On 2/13/07, Ismail D?nmez <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Tried this is on a patched 2.6.20 kernel with ipw3945 device and it
> > always puts the card in 802.11a mode instead of 802.11bg mode.
> >
> > Ideas?
>
> Before running "iwconfig wlan0 channel 8", the card is set to
> 802.11a mode. iwconfig shows rate at 54Mb/s. But after setting the
> channel, it sets to 802.11b mode, and I can't find a way to change
> from 11Mb/s to 54MB/s.
>
> "iwlist eth0 rate" only show up to 11Mb/s.
>
> So, my problem is the card is always in 802.11b mode.

So I guess there is a common problem with a/bg modes?

Regards,
ismail

2007-02-13 18:28:55

by Pavel Machek

Hi!

> Please hold all questions until I am done with this
> email. Thank you.
>
> We are pleased to announce the availability of a new
> driver for the Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network
> Connection adapter. This new driver uses the new d80211
> subsystem previously only available as part of the
> wireless-dev tree.
>
> You can find the new driver, and additional information
> about it, here:
>
> http://intellinuxwireless.org/iwlwifi.
> You can find that package at:
>
> http://intellinuxwireless.org/d80211
>
> Ok. Now... any questions?

Yes... is there merged .git tree somewhere? I downloaded iwl git tree,
but it did not contain d80211 stack. I'm now downloading wireless-dev
git tree...
Pavel

by Johannes Berg

On Tue, 2007-02-13 at 18:13 +0000, Pavel Machek wrote:

> Yes... is there merged .git tree somewhere? I downloaded iwl git tree,
> but it did not contain d80211 stack. I'm now downloading wireless-dev
> git tree...

I would expect Intel to post patches some time soon to get into
wireless-dev.

johannes

Attachments:
signature.asc (190.00 B)
This is a digitally signed message part

2007-02-13 23:38:12

by James Ketrenos

Ismail D?nmez wrote:
> On Tuesday 13 February 2007 17:10:24 Jeff Chua wrote:
>> On 2/13/07, Ismail D?nmez <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> Tried this is on a patched 2.6.20 kernel with ipw3945 device and it
>>> always puts the card in 802.11a mode instead of 802.11bg mode.
>>>
>>> Ideas?
>> Before running "iwconfig wlan0 channel 8", the card is set to
>> 802.11a mode. iwconfig shows rate at 54Mb/s. But after setting the
>> channel, it sets to 802.11b mode, and I can't find a way to change
>> from 11Mb/s to 54MB/s.
>>
>> "iwlist eth0 rate" only show up to 11Mb/s.
>>
>> So, my problem is the card is always in 802.11b mode.
>
> So I guess there is a common problem with a/bg modes?

Regardless of what iwconfig reports as the mode or rate, you should be
able to associate to an AP in either spectrum (2.4 or 5.2) using any
valid rate. Once configured and associated, iwconfig should provide
more correct information.

If association is failing, verify that 'iwlist scan' shows the AP and
that you specify everything for the association, eg:

iwconfig wlan0 channel 8 essid MyAP ap 00:13:f0:0d:ca:fe

d80211 will only attempt to associate once -- if it fails, then you need
to currently "de-configure" the device and reconfigure it back to what
you want to associate to. I do that here by chaging the AP BSSID to
something else then changing it back. If you use wpa_supplicant, it
does the re-association attempts for you.

James

2007-02-14 00:00:51

by James Ketrenos

Johannes Berg wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-02-13 at 18:13 +0000, Pavel Machek wrote:
>
>> Yes... is there merged .git tree somewhere? I downloaded iwl git tree,
>> but it did not contain d80211 stack. I'm now downloading wireless-dev
>> git tree...
>
> I would expect Intel to post patches some time soon to get into
> wireless-dev.
>
> johannes

Some of the patches contained in the d80211-1.0.1 'pending/' directory
have already been submitted to netdev in the past. The rest will be
submitted soon (I would have liked them to have been submitted a few
weeks back, but that slipped through my task list)

The d80211 packages I've pushed to date haven't done a very good job of
accounting regarding the pending/ directory. Those were the patches our
team here had been working with internally, and I wanted to get them out
to the users ASAP. I'm working to get better descriptions added to the
headers of those patches, as well as adding a status line indicating
when the patches were submitted to the mailing lists for discussion.

The goal is to only include patches in the d80211 tarballs which have
been submitted for eventual in-tree inclusion.

James

2007-02-14 00:05:59

by James Ketrenos

Norbert Preining wrote:
> Ahhh ... one thing: The LED on my Acer Laptop (TM3012) does not show up,
> maybe because I have CONFIG_D80211_LEDS off?

The LED code in iwlwifi isn't hooked up to the D80211 LED code yet. If
you'd file a bug at http://bughost.org regarding the LEDs being broken
(if you haven't already) I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
James

2007-02-14 00:58:32

by James Ketrenos

Pavel Machek wrote:
>> You can find the new driver, and additional information
>> about it, here:
>>
>> http://intellinuxwireless.org/iwlwifi.
>> You can find that package at:
>>
>> http://intellinuxwireless.org/d80211
>>
>> Ok. Now... any questions?
>
> Yes... is there merged .git tree somewhere? I downloaded iwl git tree,
> but it did not contain d80211 stack. I'm now downloading wireless-dev
> git tree...
> Pavel

There isn't a singular merged iwlwifi + d80211 package tree outside of
wireless-dev, and iwlwifi isn't there yet (I'm cleaning out some dead
and duplicated code before we submit)

I've put up http://intellinuxwireless.org/repos/?p=d80211.git so you can
pull the d80211 package via git (vs. downloading the tarball). Running
'make patch_kernel' will then install the d80211 subsystem containing
patches not yet in wireless-dev into your kernel sources (specified via
KSRC=)

James

2007-02-20 23:23:49

by Pavel Machek

Hi!

> >>You can find the new driver, and additional information
> >>about it, here:
> >>
> >> http://intellinuxwireless.org/iwlwifi.
> >>You can find that package at:
> >>
> >> http://intellinuxwireless.org/d80211
> >>
> >>Ok. Now... any questions?
> >
> >Yes... is there merged .git tree somewhere? I downloaded iwl git tree,
> >but it did not contain d80211 stack. I'm now downloading wireless-dev
> >git tree...
>
> There isn't a singular merged iwlwifi + d80211 package tree outside of
> wireless-dev, and iwlwifi isn't there yet (I'm cleaning out some dead
> and duplicated code before we submit)

Ok, I was looking for merged tree. JBenc told me it should be
available "soon", so I guess I'll wait.
Pavel

by Stephen Hemminger

Subject: iwlwifi warnings

BUilding with sparse shows lots of warnings.

$ make C=1
Checking kernel compatibility in:
/lib/modules/2.6.20.1/source
* Kernel supports required features for 'tip' version.
Building compatibility version in 'compatible/' directory:
Copying compatible/ from origin/...done
make -C /lib/modules/2.6.20.1/build M=/home/shemminger/src/iwlwifi-0.0.8
modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/shemminger/kernel/linux-2.6.20.1'
CHECK /home/shemminger/src/iwlwifi-0.0.8/compatible/base.c
/home/shemminger/src/iwlwifi-0.0.8/compatible/base.c:11115:12: warning:
function 'ipw_rate_scale_clear_window' with external linkage has definition
/home/shemminger/src/iwlwifi-0.0.8/compatible/base.c:11352:12: warning:
function 'ipw_collect_tx_data' with external linkage has definition
/home/shemminger/src/iwlwifi-0.0.8/compatible/base.c:11480:12: warning:
function 'ipw_convert_to_rate_index' with external linkage has definition
/home/shemminger/src/iwlwifi-0.0.8/compatible/base.c:11665:12: warning:
function 'ipw_convert_to_phy_index' with external linkage has definition
/home/shemminger/src/iwlwifi-0.0.8/compatible/base.c:11677:30: warning:
function 'ipw_get_lowest_rate' with external linkage has definition
/home/shemminger/src/iwlwifi-0.0.8/compatible/base.c:11692:12: warning:
function 'ipw_get_adjacent_rate' with external linkage has definition
/home/shemminger/src/iwlwifi-0.0.8/compatible/base.c:1522:11: warning:
Using plain integer as NULL pointer
/home/shemminger/src/iwlwifi-0.0.8/compatible/base.c:10004:16: warning:
Using plain integer as NULL pointer
CC [M] /home/shemminger/src/iwlwifi-0.0.8/compatible/base.o
/home/shemminger/src/iwlwifi-0.0.8/compatible/base.c: In function
$-1??ipw_rx_handle??:
/home/shemminger/src/iwlwifi-0.0.8/compatible/base.c:8175: warning:
unused variable $-1??sleep??
/home/shemminger/src/iwlwifi-0.0.8/compatible/base.c:8195: warning:
unused variable $-1??beacon??
/home/shemminger/src/iwlwifi-0.0.8/compatible/base.c:8227: warning:
unused variable $-1??notif??
/home/shemminger/src/iwlwifi-0.0.8/compatible/base.c:8259: warning:
unused variable $-1??notif??
/home/shemminger/src/iwlwifi-0.0.8/compatible/base.c: At top level:
/home/shemminger/src/iwlwifi-0.0.8/compatible/base.c:3889: warning:
$-1??ipw_set_rxon_conf?? defined but not used
/home/shemminger/src/iwlwifi-0.0.8/compatible/base.c:2523: warning:
$-1??ipw_rate_ieee2index?? defined but not used
/home/shemminger/src/iwlwifi-0.0.8/compatible/base.c:2577: warning:
$-1??ipw_check_rx_config_cmd?? defined but not used
/home/shemminger/src/iwlwifi-0.0.8/compatible/base.c:3628: warning:
$-1??ipw_setup_rxon_timing?? defined but not used
/home/shemminger/src/iwlwifi-0.0.8/compatible/base.c:6931: warning:
$-1??ipw_send_qos_params_command?? defined but not used
/home/shemminger/src/iwlwifi-0.0.8/compatible/base.c:7964: warning:
$-1??get_tx_fail_reason?? defined but not used
/home/shemminger/src/iwlwifi-0.0.8/compatible/base.c:8637: warning:
$-1??ipw_get_rate_by_rssi?? defined but not used
/home/shemminger/src/iwlwifi-0.0.8/compatible/base.c:10371: warning:
$-1??d_hw_scan?? defined but not used
LD [M] /home/shemminger/src/iwlwifi-0.0.8/compatible/iwlwifi.o
Building modules, stage 2.
MODPOST 1 modules
WARNING: "ieee80211_rx_irqsafe"
[/home/shemminger/src/iwlwifi-0.0.8/compatible/iwlwifi.ko] undefined!
WARNING: "ieee80211_register_hwmode"
[/home/shemminger/src/iwlwifi-0.0.8/compatible/iwlwifi.ko] undefined!
WARNING: "ieee80211_unregister_hw"
[/home/shemminger/src/iwlwifi-0.0.8/compatible/iwlwifi.ko] undefined!
WARNING: "ieee80211_scan_completed"
[/home/shemminger/src/iwlwifi-0.0.8/compatible/iwlwifi.ko] undefined!
WARNING: "ieee80211_get_hdrlen"
[/home/shemminger/src/iwlwifi-0.0.8/compatible/iwlwifi.ko] undefined!
WARNING: "ieee80211_tx_status"
[/home/shemminger/src/iwlwifi-0.0.8/compatible/iwlwifi.ko] undefined!
WARNING: "sta_info_get"
[/home/shemminger/src/iwlwifi-0.0.8/compatible/iwlwifi.ko] undefined!
WARNING: "ieee80211_rate_control_register"
[/home/shemminger/src/iwlwifi-0.0.8/compatible/iwlwifi.ko] undefined!
WARNING: "ieee80211_netif_oper"
[/home/shemminger/src/iwlwifi-0.0.8/compatible/iwlwifi.ko] undefined!
WARNING: "ieee80211_tx_status_irqsafe"
[/home/shemminger/src/iwlwifi-0.0.8/compatible/iwlwifi.ko] undefined!
WARNING: "ieee80211_get_hdrlen_from_skb"
[/home/shemminger/src/iwlwifi-0.0.8/compatible/iwlwifi.ko] undefined!
WARNING: "ieee80211_rate_control_unregister"
[/home/shemminger/src/iwlwifi-0.0.8/compatible/iwlwifi.ko] undefined!
WARNING: "ieee80211_register_hw"
[/home/shemminger/src/iwlwifi-0.0.8/compatible/iwlwifi.ko] undefined!
WARNING: "ieee80211_alloc_hw"
[/home/shemminger/src/iwlwifi-0.0.8/compatible/iwlwifi.ko] undefined!
WARNING: "ieee80211_free_hw"
[/home/shemminger/src/iwlwifi-0.0.8/compatible/iwlwifi.ko] undefined!
WARNING: "sta_info_put"
[/home/shemminger/src/iwlwifi-0.0.8/compatible/iwlwifi.ko] undefined!
CC /home/shemminger/src/iwlwifi-0.0.8/compatible/iwlwifi.mod.o8$
[...]
LD [M] /home/shemminger/src/iwlwifi-0.0.8/compatible/iwlwifi.ko
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/shemminger/kernel/linux-2.6.20.1'

LD [M] /home/shemminger/src/iwlwifi-0.0.8/compatible/iwlwifi.ko
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/shemminger/kernel/linux-2.6.20.1'

2007-02-21 07:37:48

by Randy Dunlap

Subject: Re: iwlwifi warnings

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 22:23:21 -0800 Stephen Hemminger wrote:

> BUilding with sparse shows lots of warnings.
>

> $ make C=1
> Checking kernel compatibility in:
> /lib/modules/2.6.20.1/source
> * Kernel supports required features for 'tip' version.
> Building compatibility version in 'compatible/' directory:
> Copying compatible/ from origin/...done
> make -C /lib/modules/2.6.20.1/build M=/home/shemminger/src/iwlwifi-0.0.8
> modules

[snip]

Good point(s). Please try to use Documentation/SubmitChecklist,
as indicated in Andrew's -mm announcements (and copied in my sig below).

---
~Randy

by Pavel Machek

Hi!

> BUilding with sparse shows lots of warnings.

You seem to be the lucky one, able to actually compile the
beast. Could you run diff against vanilla and post it somewhere?

"Normal" installation procedure has too many steps in my eyes, and
combined git tree is not available, so I was waiting for merge at
least into -wirelessdev tree.
Pavel