2007-05-22 12:51:18

by Chris Malton

Subject: NCPFS can't handle extended characters.

I found a bug in NCPFS that I haven't the time to fix right now.

Here's the problem: if a file contains an extended (Charcodes 128-255)
character, especially ` (or a even worse, an word converted ' (curled
apostrophe) NCPFS goes butter side down on the directory listing.

It doesn't hand the machine, but it does cause some serious issues on
our network, is there a way to make NCPFS understand extended characters
in file names?

I would appreciate this being patched.

I'll get round to it post-exams if nobody else does.

Chris

Attachments:
smime.p7s (2.10 kB)
S/MIME Cryptographic Signature

2007-05-22 12:53:40

by Chris Malton

Subject: Re: NCPFS can't handle extended characters.

Oops, see inline comments!

Chris Malton wrote:
> I found a bug in NCPFS that I haven't the time to fix right now.
>
> Here's the problem: if a file contains an extended (Charcodes 128-255)
> character, especially ` (or a even worse, an word converted ' (curled
> apostrophe) NCPFS goes butter side down on the directory listing.
>
> It doesn't hand the machine, but it does cause some serious issues on
> our network, is there a way to make NCPFS understand extended characters
> in file names?

I mean hang, and our network has lots of extended file system characters
on it.

> I would appreciate this being patched.
>
> I'll get round to it post-exams if nobody else does.
>
> Chris

Chris

Attachments:
smime.p7s (2.10 kB)
S/MIME Cryptographic Signature

2007-05-22 19:52:45

by Alan

On Tue, 22 May 2007 13:51:01 +0100
Chris Malton <[email protected]> wrote:

> I found a bug in NCPFS that I haven't the time to fix right now.
>
> Here's the problem: if a file contains an extended (Charcodes 128-255)
> character, especially ` (or a even worse, an word converted ' (curled
> apostrophe) NCPFS goes butter side down on the directory listing.

For any real hope to answer things like that it would be useful to have
precise descriptions of what fails, any messages logged when it occurs
etc.

Alan

2007-05-22 20:29:14

by Chris Malton

Alan Cox wrote:
> For any real hope to answer things like that it would be useful to have
> precise descriptions of what fails, any messages logged when it occurs
> etc.

OK,

What fails: A dir on the folder containing the offending file results in
part listings or no listing at all.

There are no messages logged anywhere, dir completes successfully
without complaining. I'm going to recompile with the latest kernel and
debug in a few weeks time (add the debug option to the NCPFS kernel module).

On this occasion the offending files had a character produced by MS Word
in them. I can't find out which charcode at present (think it was
charcode 180).

Chris