2008-11-26 06:48:18

by Jeffrey V. Merkey

Subject: ndiswrapper 1.54-2.6.27 released

ndiswrapper with the 2.6.27 breakage corrected. The current maintainers
have not put out a release for 2.6.27 or later kernels, so I went ahead
and fixed it for 2.6.27.

ftp://ftp.wolfmountaingroup.org/pub/ndiswrapper/ndiswrapper-1.54-2.6.27.7.tar.gz

Linux wireless drivers still do not work on most of my laptops and USB
wireless devices due to lack of firmware drivers and other problems with
native Linux wireless. Anyone else with busted laptop wireless who need
ndiswrapper might as well be able to get it since the maintainers have not
posted recent releases for recent kernels.

Jeff

2008-11-26 07:14:07

by Justin P. Mattock

Subject: Re: ndiswrapper 1.54-2.6.27 released

On Tue, 2008-11-25 at 23:02 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

> ndiswrapper with the 2.6.27 breakage corrected. The current maintainers
> have not put out a release for 2.6.27 or later kernels, so I went ahead
> and fixed it for 2.6.27.
>
> ftp://ftp.wolfmountaingroup.org/pub/ndiswrapper/ndiswrapper-1.54-2.6.27.7.tar.gz
>
> Linux wireless drivers still do not work on most of my laptops and USB
> wireless devices due to lack of firmware drivers and other problems with
> native Linux wireless. Anyone else with busted laptop wireless who need
> ndiswrapper might as well be able to get it since the maintainers have not
> posted recent releases for recent kernels.
>

> Jeff

Cool; glad to see it working
with the latest kernel.
BTW who is the author
of this patch?(this has baffled me for sometime);
http://www.slackware.com/~alien/slackbuilds/ndiswrapper/build/ndiswrapper_kernel_2.6.27.patch
(not to imped you in anyway);

regards;

--
Justin P. Mattock <[email protected]>

2008-11-26 08:39:18

by Jeffrey V. Merkey

> On Tue, 2008-11-25 at 23:02 -0700, [email protected] wrote:
>>
>> ndiswrapper with the 2.6.27 breakage corrected. The current maintainers
>> have not put out a release for 2.6.27 or later kernels, so I went ahead
>> and fixed it for 2.6.27.
>>
>> ftp://ftp.wolfmountaingroup.org/pub/ndiswrapper/ndiswrapper-1.54-2.6.27.7.tar.gz
>>
>> Linux wireless drivers still do not work on most of my laptops and USB
>> wireless devices due to lack of firmware drivers and other problems with
>> native Linux wireless. Anyone else with busted laptop wireless who need
>> ndiswrapper might as well be able to get it since the maintainers have
>> not
>> posted recent releases for recent kernels.
>>

>> Jeff
>>
>> --
>> in
>> the body of a message to [email protected]
>> Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/
>
> Cool; glad to see it working
> with the latest kernel.
> BTW who is the author
> of this patch?(this has baffled me for sometime);
> http://www.slackware.com/~alien/slackbuilds/ndiswrapper/build/ndiswrapper_kernel_2.6.27.patch
> (not to imped you in anyway);
>
> regards;
>
> --
> Justin P. Mattock <[email protected]>

I have no idea, but the patch you pointed me to is not conditionalized
with #if {kernel version >= 2.6.27} <insert info struct> #else <leave as
in 1.53> #end and will only work on 2.6.27.7. The version I posted is
backwards compatible with 2.6.27 backwards to earlier releases.

Jeff

2008-11-26 08:52:38

by Justin P. Mattock

On Wed, 2008-11-26 at 00:53 -0700, [email protected] wrote:
> > On Tue, 2008-11-25 at 23:02 -0700, [email protected] wrote:
> >>
> >> ndiswrapper with the 2.6.27 breakage corrected. The current maintainers
> >> have not put out a release for 2.6.27 or later kernels, so I went ahead
> >> and fixed it for 2.6.27.
> >>
> >> ftp://ftp.wolfmountaingroup.org/pub/ndiswrapper/ndiswrapper-1.54-2.6.27.7.tar.gz
> >>
> >> Linux wireless drivers still do not work on most of my laptops and USB
> >> wireless devices due to lack of firmware drivers and other problems with
> >> native Linux wireless. Anyone else with busted laptop wireless who need
> >> ndiswrapper might as well be able to get it since the maintainers have
> >> not
> >> posted recent releases for recent kernels.
> >>

> >> Jeff
> >>
> >> --
> >> in
> >> the body of a message to [email protected]
> >> More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
> >> Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/
> >
> > Cool; glad to see it working
> > with the latest kernel.
> > BTW who is the author
> > of this patch?(this has baffled me for sometime);
> > http://www.slackware.com/~alien/slackbuilds/ndiswrapper/build/ndiswrapper_kernel_2.6.27.patch
> > (not to imped you in anyway);
> >
> > regards;
> >
> > --
> > Justin P. Mattock <[email protected]>
> >

> I have no idea, but the patch you pointed me to is not conditionalized
> with #if {kernel version >= 2.6.27} <insert info struct> #else <leave as
> in 1.53> #end and will only work on 2.6.27.7. The version I posted is
> backwards compatible with 2.6.27 backwards to earlier releases.
>

> Jeff

Cool;
from what I remember the patch I had used was the url
I had posted(sure would like to thank them),
Anyways I'll go ahead and try you're version
and post any anomalies if possible :)
(always nice to have a backup for the wireless);

regards;

--
Justin P. Mattock <[email protected]>

2008-11-27 00:05:35

by Robert Hancock

[email protected] wrote:

> ndiswrapper with the 2.6.27 breakage corrected. The current maintainers
> have not put out a release for 2.6.27 or later kernels, so I went ahead
> and fixed it for 2.6.27.
>
> ftp://ftp.wolfmountaingroup.org/pub/ndiswrapper/ndiswrapper-1.54-2.6.27.7.tar.gz
>
> Linux wireless drivers still do not work on most of my laptops and USB
> wireless devices due to lack of firmware drivers and other problems with
> native Linux wireless. Anyone else with busted laptop wireless who need
> ndiswrapper might as well be able to get it since the maintainers have not
> posted recent releases for recent kernels.

What devices are there left these days that are still not working with
native drivers?

2008-11-27 12:40:30

by Mihai Donțu

On Thursday 27 November 2008, Robert Hancock wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > ndiswrapper with the 2.6.27 breakage corrected. The current maintainers
> > have not put out a release for 2.6.27 or later kernels, so I went ahead
> > and fixed it for 2.6.27.
> >
> > ftp://ftp.wolfmountaingroup.org/pub/ndiswrapper/ndiswrapper-1.54-2.6.27.7
> >.tar.gz
> >
> > Linux wireless drivers still do not work on most of my laptops and USB
> > wireless devices due to lack of firmware drivers and other problems with
> > native Linux wireless. Anyone else with busted laptop wireless who need
> > ndiswrapper might as well be able to get it since the maintainers have
> > not posted recent releases for recent kernels.
>
> What devices are there left these days that are still not working with
> native drivers?

Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11a/b/g (rev 01)

The driver works only if I don't subject it to high traffic. If I begin a
large transfer (like a DVD ISO) the card looses the connection with the AP
and behaves erratically in a way that interferes with my wireless mouse (I
have to unplug the mouse receiver and plug it back in several times, which is
very annoying).

--
Mihai Donțu