2007-06-24 21:27:43

by [email protected]

Subject: pivot_root alternative

hi all

i built the kernel with a busybox initramfs which runs from a usb stick. While
i boot i need to mount the real root and i'm using pivot_root.
Pivot_root . old-root return to me an "Invalid argument" error and googling i
found here http://lkml.org/lkml/2005/10/8/17 that pivot_root should be avoided.
I want to ask now what i should do to switch to a real root?

Regards
S.

2007-06-24 21:29:17

by Jan Engelhardt

Subject: Re: pivot_root alternative

On Jun 24 2007 23:27, Salvatore De Paolis wrote:

>i built the kernel with a busybox initramfs which runs from a usb stick. While
>i boot i need to mount the real root and i'm using pivot_root.
>Pivot_root . old-root return to me an "Invalid argument" error and googling i
>found here http://lkml.org/lkml/2005/10/8/17 that pivot_root should be avoided.
>I want to ask now what i should do to switch to a real root?

use run-init from klibc?

Jan

by Arnd Hannemann

Jan Engelhardt schrieb:
> On Jun 24 2007 23:27, Salvatore De Paolis wrote:
>> i built the kernel with a busybox initramfs which runs from a usb stick. While
>> i boot i need to mount the real root and i'm using pivot_root.
>> Pivot_root . old-root return to me an "Invalid argument" error and googling i
>> found here http://lkml.org/lkml/2005/10/8/17 that pivot_root should be avoided.
>> I want to ask now what i should do to switch to a real root?
>
> use run-init from klibc?

However be aware of the limitation of run-init:
It only works for direct childs of root directory
/mnt/newroot won't work
/newroot should work ;-)

Good luck,
Arnd

2007-06-24 22:08:55

by [email protected]

On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 23:39:25 +0200
Arnd Hannemann <[email protected]> wrote:

> use run-init from klibc?

> However be aware of the limitation of run-init:
> It only works for direct childs of root directory
> /mnt/newroot won't work
> /newroot should work ;-)
>
> Good luck,
> Arnd

Thank you both, i'll take a look at run-init:)
Nice to know about the child limitation but i just have to find klibc-utils
inside buildroot or busybox if even exists:)

Regards
S.

2007-06-24 23:29:52

by Kyle Moffett

On Jun 24, 2007, at 17:27:34, Salvatore De Paolis wrote:
> i built the kernel with a busybox initramfs which runs from a usb
> stick. While i boot i need to mount the real root and i'm using
> pivot_root. Pivot_root . old-root return to me an "Invalid
> argument" error and googling i found here http://lkml.org/lkml/
> 2005/10/8/17 that pivot_root should be avoided. I want to ask now
> what i should do to switch to a real root?

One interesting fact about the mount() syscall is this: when
overmounting a directory tree, a process whose current working
directory is within said directory tree will see the old vfsmounts
until it does an absolute chdir(). Shells tend not to be terribly
useful for this because they use absolute paths more than necessary,
but I think you can make it work. For instance, if you run these
commands after mounting the root filesystem:

mount -t proc proc /realroot/proc
cd /
mount --move /realroot /
find /proc/$$/cwd/ -mindepth 1 -maxdepth 1 -print0 \
| xargs -0 rm -rf -- '{}' ';'
cd /

This will set up proc on the new root filesystem, move /realroot to
the root directory, and delete the contents of the old initramfs
using the old current-working-directory link of your shell. The
amusing thing is that you are using the "find" and "rm" commands from
the newly mounted root filesystem to remove the contents of the
completely hidden initramfs. The only reason it's actually possible
is because you have the tenuous thread of the working directory.

Cheers,
Kyle Moffett

2007-06-25 04:00:25

by H. Peter Anvin

Arnd Hannemann wrote:
> Jan Engelhardt schrieb:
>> On Jun 24 2007 23:27, Salvatore De Paolis wrote:
>>> i built the kernel with a busybox initramfs which runs from a usb stick. While
>>> i boot i need to mount the real root and i'm using pivot_root.
>>> Pivot_root . old-root return to me an "Invalid argument" error and googling i
>>> found here http://lkml.org/lkml/2005/10/8/17 that pivot_root should be avoided.
>>> I want to ask now what i should do to switch to a real root?
>> use run-init from klibc?
>
> However be aware of the limitation of run-init:
> It only works for direct childs of root directory
> /mnt/newroot won't work
> /newroot should work ;-)

Hm, that should probably be fixed. It should be able to work on any
directory as long as there isn't another *filesystem* involved...

-hpa

2007-06-25 05:04:22

by [email protected]

So i choice to use switch_root which is already inside the busybox but with a
bit(?) of unluck cause it still wont run.

It hangs on !S_ISREG(st1.st_mode)

Can you explain to me how to interpret it?

Regards
S.

2007-06-25 10:19:16

by Michael Tokarev

Salvatore De Paolis wrote:

>> use run-init from klibc?
>
> Thank you both, i'll take a look at run-init:)

By the way, busybox now includes similar applet,
named switch_root.

/mjt

2007-06-25 10:52:51

by Salvatore De Paolis

On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 14:19:02 +0400
Michael Tokarev <[email protected]> wrote:

> Salvatore De Paolis wrote:
> >
> >> use run-init from klibc?
> >
> > Thank you both, i'll take a look at run-init:)
>
> By the way, busybox now includes similar applet,
> named switch_root.
>
> /mjt

yeah, i saw it yesterday after a while. Anyway the problem got a solution,
everything seems to work just fine.

Regards
S.