2007-08-05 16:39:51

by Adnan Khaleel

Subject: Page Cache Question

I'm looking for a way to disable the page cache for an
experimental NUMA system running the 2.6.17 kernel. I would prefer to
only disable the page cache for my process and still have it be enabled
by the rest of the system. Is there an easy way of doing this?
Alternatively, I would be fine disabling the Page Cache altogether as well.

Thanks

AK

http://searchmarketing.yahoo.com/

2007-08-05 17:06:54

by Andi Kleen

Subject: Re: Page Cache Question

Adnan Khaleel <[email protected]> writes:

> I'm looking for a way to disable the page cache for an
> experimental NUMA system running the 2.6.17 kernel. I would prefer to
> only disable the page cache for my process and still have it be enabled
> by the rest of the system. Is there an easy way of doing this?
> Alternatively, I would be fine disabling the Page Cache altogether as well.

All user memory is in the page cache. Without it you could only run kernel
modules.

-Andi

2007-08-05 17:47:18

by Tino Keitel

On Sun, Aug 05, 2007 at 09:32:59 -0700, Adnan Khaleel wrote:

> I'm looking for a way to disable the page cache for an
> experimental NUMA system running the 2.6.17 kernel. I would prefer to
> only disable the page cache for my process and still have it be enabled
> by the rest of the system. Is there an easy way of doing this?
> Alternatively, I would be fine disabling the Page Cache altogether as well.

Maybe this helps for you:

http://lwn.net/Articles/224653/

Regards,
Tino

2007-08-14 10:21:28

by Helge Hafting

Adnan Khaleel wrote:
> I'm looking for a way to disable the page cache for an
> experimental NUMA system running the 2.6.17 kernel. I would prefer to
> only disable the page cache for my process and still have it be enabled
> by the rest of the system. Is there an easy way of doing this?
> Alternatively, I would be fine disabling the Page Cache altogether as well.

Assuming what you really mean is that you don't want to cache
file i/o for that process - try opening files with O_DIRECT.

Helge Hafting

2007-08-14 14:38:28

by Eugene Teo

<quote sender="Helge Hafting">
> Adnan Khaleel wrote:
>> I'm looking for a way to disable the page cache for an
>> experimental NUMA system running the 2.6.17 kernel. I would prefer to
>> only disable the page cache for my process and still have it be enabled
>> by the rest of the system. Is there an easy way of doing this?
>> Alternatively, I would be fine disabling the Page Cache altogether as
>> well.
>>
> Assuming what you really mean is that you don't want to cache
> file i/o for that process - try opening files with O_DIRECT.

You will probably find this tool useful:
http://userweb.kernel.org/~akpm/pagecache-management/

"... a little tool which permits the management of the pagecache usage of
arbitrary applications. Effectively it prevents the targetted application
from using any pagecache at all."

Eugene