2007-08-24 17:39:51

by Michal Piotrowski

Subject: Re: [4/4] 2.6.23-rc3: known regressions v3

Hi all,

Here is a list of some known regressions in 2.6.23-rc3.

Feel free to add new regressions/remove fixed etc.
http://kernelnewbies.org/known_regressions

List of Aces

Name Regressions fixed since 21-Jun-2007
Adrian Bunk 9
Andi Kleen 5
Linus Torvalds 5
Andrew Morton 4
Al Viro 3
Alan Stern 3
Cornelia Huck 3
Jens Axboe 3
Tejun Heo 3

USB

Subject : 2.6.23-rc1: USB hard disk broken

Virtualization

Subject : CONFIG_VMI broken

Alpha

Subject : -Werror compilation problem - make[1]: *** [arch/alpha/kernel/sys_titan.o] Error 1

Regards,
Michal

--
LOG
http://www.stardust.webpages.pl/log/

2007-08-24 17:57:48

by Greg KH

On Fri, Aug 24, 2007 at 07:38:40PM +0200, Michal Piotrowski wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Here is a list of some known regressions in 2.6.23-rc3.

First off, thanks so much for tracking these, it can't be an easy job,
but one that is really needed. Keep up the great work.

> USB
>
> Subject : 2.6.23-rc1: USB hard disk broken

Last I heard was that Tino was going to try to do further testing, but
as he hasn't responded in a few weeks, I'd mark this one down to,
"unknown and unreproducable". Unless someone else knows more?

thanks,

greg k-h

2007-08-24 18:01:30

by Tino Keitel

On Fri, Aug 24, 2007 at 10:56:08 -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 24, 2007 at 07:38:40PM +0200, Michal Piotrowski wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Here is a list of some known regressions in 2.6.23-rc3.
>
> First off, thanks so much for tracking these, it can't be an easy job,
> but one that is really needed. Keep up the great work.
>
> > USB
> >
> > Subject : 2.6.23-rc1: USB hard disk broken
>
> Last I heard was that Tino was going to try to do further testing, but
> as he hasn't responded in a few weeks, I'd mark this one down to,
> "unknown and unreproducable". Unless someone else knows more?

I was at least able to reproduce it with 2.6.23-rc2. And I tried it
hard with 2.6.22 but it didn't happen.

Regards,
Tino

2007-08-24 18:10:12

by Greg KH

On Fri, Aug 24, 2007 at 08:01:20PM +0200, Tino Keitel wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 24, 2007 at 10:56:08 -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 24, 2007 at 07:38:40PM +0200, Michal Piotrowski wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > Here is a list of some known regressions in 2.6.23-rc3.
> >
> > First off, thanks so much for tracking these, it can't be an easy job,
> > but one that is really needed. Keep up the great work.
> >
> > > USB
> > >
> > > Subject : 2.6.23-rc1: USB hard disk broken
> >
> > Last I heard was that Tino was going to try to do further testing, but
> > as he hasn't responded in a few weeks, I'd mark this one down to,
> > "unknown and unreproducable". Unless someone else knows more?
>
> I was at least able to reproduce it with 2.6.23-rc2. And I tried it
> hard with 2.6.22 but it didn't happen.

Ick, I didn't realize this.

Oliver and Alan, any follow-up on this that I need to look into?

thanks,

greg k-h

2007-08-24 18:25:20

by David Brownell

> > > Last I heard was that Tino was going to try to do further testing, but
> > > as he hasn't responded in a few weeks, I'd mark this one down to,
> > > "unknown and unreproducable". Unless someone else knows more?
> >
> > I was at least able to reproduce it with 2.6.23-rc2. And I tried it
> > hard with 2.6.22 but it didn't happen.
>
> Ick, I didn't realize this.
>
> Oliver and Alan, any follow-up on this that I need to look into?

Try with the latest kernel from GIT; maybe that cpufreq thing
(since reverted) was a factor.

2007-08-24 19:31:18

by Parag Warudkar

On 8/24/07, Michal Piotrowski <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Here is a list of some known regressions in 2.6.23-rc3.
>

> Virtualization
>
> Subject : CONFIG_VMI broken

Zach seemed to think that this is already fixed - I am not in a
position to test it immediately so if we know what fixed this - can be
closed. I'll report back once I get a chance to test latest git.

Thanks
Parag

2007-08-24 19:35:52

by Zachary Amsden

Parag Warudkar wrote:
> On 8/24/07, Michal Piotrowski <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>> Virtualization
>>
>> Subject : CONFIG_VMI broken
>>

> Zach seemed to think that this is already fixed - I am not in a
> position to test it immediately so if we know what fixed this - can be
> closed. I'll report back once I get a chance to test latest git.

Parag, thanks. I reproduced this bug with your kernel config on
2.6.23-rc3 and verified it does not happen on latest git. I inspected
memory after the crash and determined the problem was patching of
instructions went awry. Chris in the meantime fixed a bug with patching
instructions, and the change from 100% apocalyptic failure to 100%
unequivocal success has convinced me that was the same bug.

Zach

2007-08-26 04:02:34

by Satyam Sharma

On Fri, 24 Aug 2007, Michal Piotrowski wrote:

> Alpha
>
> Subject : -Werror compilation problem - make[1]: *** [arch/alpha/kernel/sys_titan.o] Error 1

This was fixed by commit f6901e639800e745457b1dcd99c52647981438d7.