2007-02-25 17:58:14

by Marco Costalba

Subject: [ANNOUNCE] qgit-1.5.5

qgit is a git repository GUI browser. This is mostly a bug fix release.

Due to a change in git-rev-list output in git version 1.5 and above in
case of commit encoding information old version of qgit are no more
compatible and big issues in revision list view are possible under
some circumstances.

So an upgrade to this release is strongly suggested for all the users
of new version of git (1.5 and above).

Download tarball from http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/qgit or
directly from git public repository
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/qgit/qgit.git

Please refer to http://digilander.libero.it/mcostalba/ for additional
information.

Marco

P.S: There is also a Qt4 version (works under Windows) downloadable
from git://repo.or.cz/qgit4.git it is a little bit experimental
tough.

ChangeLog from 1.5.4

- fix a spurious double popup menu in rare cases

- add support to show user info in Edit->Settings->Commit

- file names cache optimization: reduce load time by 35% and memory by 30%

- fix opening a repo from a read-only filesystem

- filter out StGIT bases in our tag list

- use light orange for remote branches (Pavel Roskin)

- add 'Remote branches' context sub menu

- fix disappearing merge files list when browsing revs

- delay cache loading a little bit and fix a bug

- fix a parsing error in case of combined merges

- support new git text encoding policy in log messages

- fix a subtle bug that could lead to miss an update event

- fix bug in revisions loading sequence numbers

- fix parsing in case of revision headers with extended information

- fix stripping of comments in commit dialog message

2007-02-26 00:23:55

by Martin Langhoff

Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] qgit-1.5.5

On 2/26/07, Marco Costalba <[email protected]> wrote:
> P.S: There is also a Qt4 version (works under Windows) downloadable
> from git://repo.or.cz/qgit4.git it is a little bit experimental
> tough.

Is the QT4 Windows port working against the MinGW port of GIT?

cheers.

martin

2007-02-26 06:19:53

by Marco Costalba

On 2/26/07, Martin Langhoff <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 2/26/07, Marco Costalba <[email protected]> wrote:
> > P.S: There is also a Qt4 version (works under Windows) downloadable
> > from git://repo.or.cz/qgit4.git it is a little bit experimental
> > tough.
>
> Is the QT4 Windows port working against the MinGW port of GIT?

Yes, Qt4Windows does not need cygwin at all and is compiled itself with MinGW.

Marco

2007-02-26 11:19:31

by Johannes Schindelin

Hi,

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007, Marco Costalba wrote:

> On 2/26/07, Martin Langhoff <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On 2/26/07, Marco Costalba <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > P.S: There is also a Qt4 version (works under Windows) downloadable
> > > from git://repo.or.cz/qgit4.git it is a little bit experimental
> > > tough.
> >
> > Is the QT4 Windows port working against the MinGW port of GIT?
> >

> Yes, Qt4Windows does not need cygwin at all and is compiled itself with
> MinGW.

I think what Martin was getting at is if you can use the MinGW port of
_Git_, not if Qt4Windows or qgit needs cygwin.

Ciao,
Dscho

2007-02-26 17:39:20

by Marco Costalba

On 2/26/07, Johannes Schindelin <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 26 Feb 2007, Marco Costalba wrote:

> > > Is the QT4 Windows port working against the MinGW port of GIT?
> > >

> > Yes, Qt4Windows does not need cygwin at all and is compiled itself with
> > MinGW.
>
> I think what Martin was getting at is if you can use the MinGW port of
> _Git_, not if Qt4Windows or qgit needs cygwin.

Actually, I didn't test with MinGW port of Git but I would be
surprised if it doesn't work (famous last words ;-) )

Marco

2007-02-26 17:46:57

by Johannes Schindelin

Hi,

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007, Marco Costalba wrote:

> Actually, I didn't test with MinGW port of Git but I would be surprised
> if it doesn't work (famous last words ;-) )

You don't use cygpath to translate between Windows <-> POSIX filenames?

AFAICT this is the single most important user-visible difference between
Cygwin Git and MinGW Git.

Ciao,
Dscho

2007-02-26 19:29:13

by Marco Costalba

On 2/26/07, Johannes Schindelin <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 26 Feb 2007, Marco Costalba wrote:
>
> > Actually, I didn't test with MinGW port of Git but I would be surprised
> > if it doesn't work (famous last words ;-) )
>
> You don't use cygpath to translate between Windows <-> POSIX filenames?
>
> AFAICT this is the single most important user-visible difference between
> Cygwin Git and MinGW Git.

I call git programs as if they were native windows programs. I run git
programs without requiring cygwin shell or something similar.

I hope I have understood correctly your answer.

Marco

2007-02-26 19:37:26

by Johannes Schindelin

Hi,

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007, Marco Costalba wrote:

> On 2/26/07, Johannes Schindelin <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Mon, 26 Feb 2007, Marco Costalba wrote:
> >
> > > Actually, I didn't test with MinGW port of Git but I would be surprised
> > > if it doesn't work (famous last words ;-) )
> >
> > You don't use cygpath to translate between Windows <-> POSIX filenames?
> >
> > AFAICT this is the single most important user-visible difference
> > between Cygwin Git and MinGW Git.
> >

> I call git programs as if they were native windows programs. I run git
> programs without requiring cygwin shell or something similar.

Actually, what I was getting at is the silly "Drive:\bla" filename syntax
on Windows boxen. But

- you have to cd to the working directory in order to start the git
programs, and
- AFAIK Windows is not stupid enough to forbid "dir/name" syntax.

So, all my objections are invalid.

> I hope I have understood correctly your answer.

Yes ;-)

Ciao,
Dscho