2003-06-15 18:54:24

by fire-eyes

Subject: 2.5.70 / 2.5.71 - Problem at Uncompressing Linux... OK

I am just beginning to experiment with 2.5, my appologies if I have
missed something. If there are other resources that could have answered
this question, I eagerly await suggestions.

With both 2.5.70 and 2.5.71, when the machine boots, it gets to
"Uncompressing Linux... OK", and then it stops there. Disk activity is
clearly still going on. After a short time, I can ping it, or other
network activity. If I try to ssh into it, I am asked my password. After
hitting enter, nothing happens. I can try this repeatedly to no avail.

Am I missing something fundamental here?

Thank you for your time.

Please CC me, as I am not (yet?) subscribed to the list

Attachments:
signature.asc (189.00 B)
This is a digitally signed message part

2003-06-15 19:31:28

by Martin J. Bligh

Subject: Re: 2.5.70 / 2.5.71 - Problem at Uncompressing Linux... OK

--fire-eyes <[email protected]> wrote (on Sunday, June 15, 2003 15:08:11 -0400):

> I am just beginning to experiment with 2.5, my appologies if I have
> missed something. If there are other resources that could have answered
> this question, I eagerly await suggestions.
>
> With both 2.5.70 and 2.5.71, when the machine boots, it gets to
> "Uncompressing Linux... OK", and then it stops there. Disk activity is
> clearly still going on. After a short time, I can ping it, or other
> network activity. If I try to ssh into it, I am asked my password. After
> hitting enter, nothing happens. I can try this repeatedly to no avail.
>
> Am I missing something fundamental here?
>
> Thank you for your time.
>

> Please CC me, as I am not (yet?) subscribed to the list

Make sure CONFIG_INPUT and the VT console stuff are both "Y".
Else, try grabbing this:

ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/mbligh/patches/2.5.71/2.5.71-mjb1/100-early_printk

read the top of the patch to see how to turn it on, and try again ...

M.

2003-06-15 19:28:46

by ismail donmez

On Sunday 15 June 2003 22:08, fire-eyes wrote:
> I am just beginning to experiment with 2.5, my appologies if I have
> missed something. If there are other resources that could have answered
> this question, I eagerly await suggestions.
>
> With both 2.5.70 and 2.5.71, when the machine boots, it gets to
> "Uncompressing Linux... OK", and then it stops there. Disk activity is
> clearly still going on. After a short time, I can ping it, or other
> network activity. If I try to ssh into it, I am asked my password. After
> hitting enter, nothing happens. I can try this repeatedly to no avail.

Forgot to compile in framebuffer support yet you use vga=xxx in lilo.conf/grub
config file ?

Regards,
/ismail