2007-10-29 00:06:30

by Mikael Pettersson

Subject: [REGRESSION] 2.6.24-rc1 fails to boot on a 486

My old 486 fails to boot with the 2.6.24-rc1 kernel.
Grub loads it, 4 lines of text appear but not the kernel's
"Linux version <blah> greet", and the machine reboots.
Double-checked with a serial console: nothing appears
before it reboots.

All 2.6 kernels up to 2.6.23 worked fine on this machine.

Config is at http://user.it.uu.se/~mikpe/linux/tmp/486-config-2.6.24-rc1.
The kernel is unpatched 2.6.24-rc1 compiled with gcc-4.2.2.

/Mikael

2007-10-29 04:36:51

by H. Peter Anvin

Subject: Re: [REGRESSION] 2.6.24-rc1 fails to boot on a 486

Mikael Pettersson wrote:
> My old 486 fails to boot with the 2.6.24-rc1 kernel.
> Grub loads it, 4 lines of text appear but not the kernel's
> "Linux version <blah> greet", and the machine reboots.
> Double-checked with a serial console: nothing appears
> before it reboots.

What four lines of text?

-hpa

2007-10-29 04:38:41

by H. Peter Anvin

Mikael Pettersson wrote:
> My old 486 fails to boot with the 2.6.24-rc1 kernel.
> Grub loads it, 4 lines of text appear but not the kernel's
> "Linux version <blah> greet", and the machine reboots.
> Double-checked with a serial console: nothing appears
> before it reboots.
>
> All 2.6 kernels up to 2.6.23 worked fine on this machine.
>
> Config is at http://user.it.uu.se/~mikpe/linux/tmp/486-config-2.6.24-rc1.
> The kernel is unpatched 2.6.24-rc1 compiled with gcc-4.2.2.

Any chance you could bisect this problem?

-hpa

2007-10-29 06:28:45

by Mikael Pettersson

On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 21:33:02 -0700, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Mikael Pettersson wrote:
> > My old 486 fails to boot with the 2.6.24-rc1 kernel.
> > Grub loads it, 4 lines of text appear but not the kernel's
> > "Linux version <blah> greet", and the machine reboots.
> > Double-checked with a serial console: nothing appears
> > before it reboots.
>
> What four lines of text?

They're impossible to capture because they're only visible
on the VGA screen for like 0.2 seconds before the machine
reboots and the screen is blanked; they don't show up on
the serial console.

They look like paths to the vmlinuz and initrd surrounded
by [ ] brackets, so I guess they come from grub.

/Mikael

2007-10-29 06:31:29

by Mikael Pettersson

On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 21:34:58 -0700, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Mikael Pettersson wrote:
> > My old 486 fails to boot with the 2.6.24-rc1 kernel.
> > Grub loads it, 4 lines of text appear but not the kernel's
> > "Linux version <blah> greet", and the machine reboots.
> > Double-checked with a serial console: nothing appears
> > before it reboots.
> >
> > All 2.6 kernels up to 2.6.23 worked fine on this machine.
> >
> > Config is at http://user.it.uu.se/~mikpe/linux/tmp/486-config-2.6.24-rc1.
> > The kernel is unpatched 2.6.24-rc1 compiled with gcc-4.2.2.
> >

> Any chance you could bisect this problem?

I can try, but it will have to wait until next weekend.

/Mikael

2007-10-29 11:37:52

by Ingo Molnar

* Mikael Pettersson <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 21:33:02 -0700, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> > Mikael Pettersson wrote:
> > > My old 486 fails to boot with the 2.6.24-rc1 kernel.
> > > Grub loads it, 4 lines of text appear but not the kernel's
> > > "Linux version <blah> greet", and the machine reboots.
> > > Double-checked with a serial console: nothing appears
> > > before it reboots.
> >
> > What four lines of text?
>
> They're impossible to capture because they're only visible on the VGA
> screen for like 0.2 seconds before the machine reboots and the screen
> is blanked; they don't show up on the serial console.

the way i debug these is to take a digital camera and make a movie of
the bootup, then check the movie frame for frame.

admittedly it's a pretty sick method.

Ingo

2007-10-29 12:43:00

by Gabriel C

Mikael Pettersson wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 21:33:02 -0700, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
>> Mikael Pettersson wrote:
>>> My old 486 fails to boot with the 2.6.24-rc1 kernel.
>>> Grub loads it, 4 lines of text appear but not the kernel's
>>> "Linux version <blah> greet", and the machine reboots.
>>> Double-checked with a serial console: nothing appears
>>> before it reboots.
>> What four lines of text?
>
> They're impossible to capture because they're only visible
> on the VGA screen for like 0.2 seconds before the machine
> reboots and the screen is blanked; they don't show up on
> the serial console.

Maybe try to set CONFIG_BOOT_PRINTK_DELAY and boot with boot_delay=N ?

> They look like paths to the vmlinuz and initrd surrounded
> by [ ] brackets, so I guess they come from grub.
>
> /Mikael

Regards,

Gabriel

2007-10-29 13:48:30

by Thomas Gleixner

On Mon, 29 Oct 2007, Mikael Pettersson wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 21:33:02 -0700, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> > Mikael Pettersson wrote:
> > > My old 486 fails to boot with the 2.6.24-rc1 kernel.
> > > Grub loads it, 4 lines of text appear but not the kernel's
> > > "Linux version <blah> greet", and the machine reboots.
> > > Double-checked with a serial console: nothing appears
> > > before it reboots.
> >
> > What four lines of text?
>
> They're impossible to capture because they're only visible
> on the VGA screen for like 0.2 seconds before the machine
> reboots and the screen is blanked; they don't show up on
> the serial console.
>
> They look like paths to the vmlinuz and initrd surrounded
> by [ ] brackets, so I guess they come from grub.

Any chance to use serial console ?

Enable CONFIG_EARLY_PRINTK and add

earlyprintk=serial,ttyS0,115200,keep

to the kernel command line.

Can you please provide your .config file ?

I tested on my i386 box and Linus latest git boots fine:
# uname -a
Linux museum386 2.6.24-rc1-2a397e82 #1 PREEMPT Mon Oct 29 13:39:29 CET 2007 i386 unknown
# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
vendor_id : unknown
cpu family : 3
model : 0
model name : 386
stepping : unknown
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : no
fpu_exception : no
cpuid level : -1
wp : no
flags :
bogomips : 6.93
clflush size : 32

Thanks,

tglx

2007-10-29 15:57:39

by H. Peter Anvin

Thomas Gleixner wrote:

>> They look like paths to the vmlinuz and initrd surrounded
>> by [ ] brackets, so I guess they come from grub.
>
> Any chance to use serial console ?
>
> Enable CONFIG_EARLY_PRINTK and add
>
> earlyprintk=serial,ttyS0,115200,keep
>
> to the kernel command line.
>
> Can you please provide your .config file ?

I doubt he's getting far enough that he's actually getting early printk.
I could be wrong, of course.

> I tested on my i386 box and Linus latest git boots fine:
> # uname -a
> Linux museum386 2.6.24-rc1-2a397e82 #1 PREEMPT Mon Oct 29 13:39:29 CET 2007 i386 unknown
> # cat /proc/cpuinfo
> clflush size : 32

Hm. This probably shouldn't be displayed when clflush isn't available...

-hpa

2007-10-29 16:13:27

by Thomas Gleixner

On Mon, 29 Oct 2007, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Thomas Gleixner wrote:
> > >
> > > They look like paths to the vmlinuz and initrd surrounded
> > > by [ ] brackets, so I guess they come from grub.
> >
> > Any chance to use serial console ?
> >
> > Enable CONFIG_EARLY_PRINTK and add
> > earlyprintk=serial,ttyS0,115200,keep
> >
> > to the kernel command line.
> >
> > Can you please provide your .config file ?
> >

> I doubt he's getting far enough that he's actually getting early printk. I
> could be wrong, of course.
>
> > I tested on my i386 box and Linus latest git boots fine:
> > # uname -a
> > Linux museum386 2.6.24-rc1-2a397e82 #1 PREEMPT Mon Oct 29 13:39:29 CET 2007
> > i386 unknown
> > # cat /proc/cpuinfo
> > clflush size : 32
>
> Hm. This probably shouldn't be displayed when clflush isn't available...

Yup, I noticed as well :)

tglx

2007-10-30 14:07:53

by Mikael Pettersson

On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 14:47:49 +0100 (CET), Thomas Gleixner wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Oct 2007, Mikael Pettersson wrote:

> > > What four lines of text?
> >
> > They're impossible to capture because they're only visible
> > on the VGA screen for like 0.2 seconds before the machine
> > reboots and the screen is blanked; they don't show up on
> > the serial console.
> >
> > They look like paths to the vmlinuz and initrd surrounded
> > by [ ] brackets, so I guess they come from grub.
>
> Any chance to use serial console ?
>
> Enable CONFIG_EARLY_PRINTK and add
>
> earlyprintk=serial,ttyS0,115200,keep
>
> to the kernel command line.

As I mentioned in my first message, I did hook up
a serial console except I used the console=ttyS0,115200
boot parameter, but the kernel rebooted before any
output appeared. I can try the earlyprintk= version
above next time I'm near the 486 if you think it will
make any difference.

> Can you please provide your .config file ?

I posted a link to it in my first message: