2007-12-16 22:26:16

by Harald Dunkel

Subject: howto get a melodic system beep?

Hi folks,

Is there a way to replace the system beep by something more
melodic?

I remember some 10 years ago there was a patch for the kernel
to call an external "beep daemon" playing an audio file instead
(no kidding). But it never worked very well. Sometimes there
was a huge delay, and some programs were not very nice to the
system beep.

My X-mas wish would be to get an improvement here.

Regards

Harri

2007-12-16 22:38:17

by Jan Engelhardt

Subject: Re: howto get a melodic system beep?

On Dec 16 2007 23:25, Harald Dunkel wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Is there a way to replace the system beep by something more
> melodic?
>
> I remember some 10 years ago there was a patch for the kernel
> to call an external "beep daemon" playing an audio file instead
> (no kidding). But it never worked very well. Sometimes there
> was a huge delay, and some programs were not very nice to the
> system beep.
>
> My X-mas wish would be to get an improvement here.

Would my xmas too?

2007-12-16 23:29:20

by Jan Engelhardt

On Dec 16 2007 23:37, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
>On Dec 16 2007 23:25, Harald Dunkel wrote:
>>
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> Is there a way to replace the system beep by something more
>> melodic?
>>
>> I remember some 10 years ago there was a patch for the kernel
>> to call an external "beep daemon" playing an audio file instead
>> (no kidding). But it never worked very well. Sometimes there
>> was a huge delay, and some programs were not very nice to the
>> system beep.
>>
>> My X-mas wish would be to get an improvement here.

In drivers/input/misc/pcspkr.c, pcspkr_event() in the SND_BELL case,
you could add a reroute so that SND_BELL events are passed to
userspace (think /dev/input/pcspkr). Delays are of course possible,
and it really depends on how the scheduler does its job (read: you
might want to renice your userspace part).

2007-12-19 00:24:59

by Bauke Jan Douma

Harald Dunkel wrote on 16-12-07 23:25:
> Hi folks,
>
> Is there a way to replace the system beep by something more
> melodic?
>
> I remember some 10 years ago there was a patch for the kernel
> to call an external "beep daemon" playing an audio file instead
> (no kidding). But it never worked very well. Sometimes there
> was a huge delay, and some programs were not very nice to the
> system beep.
>
> My X-mas wish would be to get an improvement here.

I think the uinput module can handle this. There's an
example floating around somewhere.

bjd

2008-01-11 23:26:26

by Toon van der Pas

On Sun, Dec 16, 2007 at 11:25:49PM +0100, Harald Dunkel wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Is there a way to replace the system beep by something more
> melodic?
>
> I remember some 10 years ago there was a patch for the kernel
> to call an external "beep daemon" playing an audio file instead
> (no kidding). But it never worked very well. Sometimes there
> was a huge delay, and some programs were not very nice to the
> system beep.

Hi, check out the URL below.
I use this thing on a pc that doesn't have a pc speaker:

http://carcosa.net/jason/software/beep/

Here is a description on how to use this:

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Virtual_PC_Speaker

Regards,
Toon.
--
"I never set out to be weird,
it was always other people who called me weird."