2008-01-07 20:34:28

by Martin Bligh

Subject: change SCSI owner in bugzilla

> Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2008 10:00:33 -0600
> From: James Bottomley <[email protected]>
> To: Adrian Bunk <[email protected]>
> Cc: Ingo Molnar <[email protected]>, Peter Osterlund <[email protected]>,
> Linus Torvalds <[email protected]>,
> Matthew Wilcox <[email protected]>, [email protected],
> Andrew Morton <[email protected]>,
> Al Viro <[email protected]>
> Subject: Re: [patch] scsi: revert "[SCSI] Get rid of scsi_cmnd->done"
>
> On Sun, 2008-01-06 at 17:45 +0200, Adrian Bunk wrote:
>> Bugzilla for tracking and mailing lists for discussing are not mutually
>> exclusive.
>
> I didn't ever say they were. What I said was we needed the work flow on
> the mailing lists.
>
>> What about asking the Bugzilla admins to set the default owner of new
>> SCSI bugs to [email protected]?
>>
>> This way all SCSI bugs submitted in Bugzilla will automatically be
>> forwarded to the linux-scsi mailing list.
>
> Well, I've only been asking for this for the last two years. If you can
> actually make it happen, I'd be eternally grateful.

OK, changed it.

I don't think this is the right way to do it, as you'll get email for
every change to every bug until it's assigned, but seeing as that's what
you asked for, and we can't seem to get vger to take bounces, I guess
it'll do.

Let me know if (a) it works OK, and (b) you want the driver ones changed
over as well.

M.

2008-01-07 20:45:47

by Rafael J. Wysocki

On Monday, 7 of January 2008, Martin Bligh wrote:

> > Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2008 10:00:33 -0600
> > From: James Bottomley <[email protected]>
> > To: Adrian Bunk <[email protected]>
> > Cc: Ingo Molnar <[email protected]>, Peter Osterlund <[email protected]>,
> > Linus Torvalds <[email protected]>,
> > Matthew Wilcox <[email protected]>, [email protected],
> > Andrew Morton <[email protected]>,
> > Al Viro <[email protected]>
> > Subject: Re: [patch] scsi: revert "[SCSI] Get rid of scsi_cmnd->done"
> >
> > On Sun, 2008-01-06 at 17:45 +0200, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> >> Bugzilla for tracking and mailing lists for discussing are not mutually
> >> exclusive.
> >
> > I didn't ever say they were. What I said was we needed the work flow on
> > the mailing lists.
> >
> >> What about asking the Bugzilla admins to set the default owner of new
> >> SCSI bugs to [email protected]?
> >>
> >> This way all SCSI bugs submitted in Bugzilla will automatically be
> >> forwarded to the linux-scsi mailing list.
> >
> > Well, I've only been asking for this for the last two years. If you can
> > actually make it happen, I'd be eternally grateful.
>
> OK, changed it.
>
> I don't think this is the right way to do it, as you'll get email for
> every change to every bug until it's assigned, but seeing as that's what
> you asked for, and we can't seem to get vger to take bounces, I guess
> it'll do.
>
> Let me know if (a) it works OK, and (b) you want the driver ones changed
> over as well.

BTW, would that be possible to forward messages sent to
[email protected] to
[email protected]?

Rafael

On Monday 07 January 2008, Martin Bligh wrote:

> > Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2008 10:00:33 -0600
> > From: James Bottomley <[email protected]>
> > To: Adrian Bunk <[email protected]>
> > Cc: Ingo Molnar <[email protected]>, Peter Osterlund <[email protected]>,
> > Linus Torvalds <[email protected]>,
> > Matthew Wilcox <[email protected]>, [email protected],
> > Andrew Morton <[email protected]>,
> > Al Viro <[email protected]>
> > Subject: Re: [patch] scsi: revert "[SCSI] Get rid of scsi_cmnd->done"
> >
> > On Sun, 2008-01-06 at 17:45 +0200, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> >> Bugzilla for tracking and mailing lists for discussing are not mutually
> >> exclusive.
> >
> > I didn't ever say they were. What I said was we needed the work flow on
> > the mailing lists.
> >
> >> What about asking the Bugzilla admins to set the default owner of new
> >> SCSI bugs to [email protected]?
> >>
> >> This way all SCSI bugs submitted in Bugzilla will automatically be
> >> forwarded to the linux-scsi mailing list.
> >
> > Well, I've only been asking for this for the last two years. If you can
> > actually make it happen, I'd be eternally grateful.
>
> OK, changed it.

Could you also change IDE to linux-ide mailing list while at it?

Thanks,
Bart

2008-01-08 10:08:29

by Ingo Molnar

* Rafael J. Wysocki <[email protected]> wrote:

> > OK, changed it.
> >
> > I don't think this is the right way to do it, as you'll get email
> > for every change to every bug until it's assigned, but seeing as
> > that's what you asked for, and we can't seem to get vger to take
> > bounces, I guess it'll do.
> >
> > Let me know if (a) it works OK, and (b) you want the driver ones
> > changed over as well.
>
> BTW, would that be possible to forward messages sent to
> [email protected] to
> [email protected]?

stupid question: why isnt this done via what most maintainers do, to set
up your bugzilla account to generate notifications of the special
[email protected] bugzilla user?

Ingo

2008-01-08 15:56:58

by Martin Bligh

Ingo Molnar wrote:
> * Rafael J. Wysocki <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>> OK, changed it.
>>>
>>> I don't think this is the right way to do it, as you'll get email
>>> for every change to every bug until it's assigned, but seeing as
>>> that's what you asked for, and we can't seem to get vger to take
>>> bounces, I guess it'll do.
>>>
>>> Let me know if (a) it works OK, and (b) you want the driver ones
>>> changed over as well.
>> BTW, would that be possible to forward messages sent to
>> [email protected] to
>> [email protected]?
>
> stupid question: why isnt this done via what most maintainers do, to set
> up your bugzilla account to generate notifications of the special
> [email protected] bugzilla user?

That would be better. Creating "users" for mailing lists may be
problematic - if it is, let me know.

M.

2008-01-08 16:06:43

by Ingo Molnar

* Martin Bligh <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> BTW, would that be possible to forward messages sent to
>>> [email protected] to
>>> [email protected]?
>>
>> stupid question: why isnt this done via what most maintainers do, to
>> set up your bugzilla account to generate notifications of the special
>> [email protected] bugzilla user?
>
> That would be better. Creating "users" for mailing lists may be
> problematic - if it is, let me know.

for those who have not set that up yet, it's in:

Edit / Prefs / Email Preferences / Users to watch

add [email protected] to that list and you'll
be notified about new bugs and changes to existing bugs.

Ingo

2008-01-08 17:47:10

by Rafael J. Wysocki

On Tuesday, 8 of January 2008, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> >> stupid question: why isnt this done via what most maintainers do, to
> >> set up your bugzilla account to generate notifications of the special
> >> [email protected] bugzilla user?
> >
> > That would be better. Creating "users" for mailing lists may be
> > problematic - if it is, let me know.
>
> for those who have not set that up yet, it's in:
>
> Edit / Prefs / Email Preferences / Users to watch
>
> add [email protected] to that list and you'll
> be notified about new bugs and changes to existing bugs.

Still, I'd like the list to be notified, not only me (eg. I might be offline or
or unable to respond at the moment, or someone else may know how to fix the
problem).

Thanks,
Rafael

2008-01-08 17:49:31

by Rafael J. Wysocki

On Tuesday, 8 of January 2008, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

> > > That would be better. Creating "users" for mailing lists may be
> > > problematic - if it is, let me know.
> >
> > for those who have not set that up yet, it's in:
> >
> > Edit / Prefs / Email Preferences / Users to watch
> >
> > add [email protected] to that list and you'll
> > be notified about new bugs and changes to existing bugs.
>
> Still, I'd like the list to be notified, not only me (eg. I might be offline or
> or unable to respond at the moment, or someone else may know how to fix the
> problem).

Ah, you mean I should create a bugzilla user for the list and add
[email protected] to this user's watchlist. That
will make sense. :-)

Rafael

2008-01-08 22:12:22

by Ingo Molnar

* Rafael J. Wysocki <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Edit / Prefs / Email Preferences / Users to watch
> > >
> > > add [email protected] to that list and you'll
> > > be notified about new bugs and changes to existing bugs.
> >
> > Still, I'd like the list to be notified, not only me (eg. I might be
> > offline or or unable to respond at the moment, or someone else may
> > know how to fix the problem).
>
> Ah, you mean I should create a bugzilla user for the list and add
> [email protected] to this user's watchlist.
> That will make sense. :-)

yep, and this way the special users have consistent layout as well. I
suspect the SCSI thing should be done this way as well. Martin, do you
agree with that, or is there some other issue?

Ingo

2008-01-09 18:33:26

by Martin Bligh

Ingo Molnar wrote:

>>> Still, I'd like the list to be notified, not only me (eg. I might be
>>> offline or or unable to respond at the moment, or someone else may
>>> know how to fix the problem).
>> Ah, you mean I should create a bugzilla user for the list and add
>> [email protected] to this user's watchlist.
>> That will make sense. :-)
>
> yep, and this way the special users have consistent layout as well. I
> suspect the SCSI thing should be done this way as well. Martin, do you
> agree with that, or is there some other issue?

I can try to do that, yes. Would be more consistent. Only concern is
Bugzilla's tendency to email passwords to the user, etc.