2008-02-06 14:06:27

by Pavel Machek

Subject: any cpu hotplug changes in 2.6.24-current-git?

Hi!

Are there any recent changes in cpu hotplug? I have suspend (random)
problems, nosmp seems to fix it, and last messages in the "it hangs"
case are from cpu hotplug...
Pavel

by Rafael J. Wysocki

Subject: Re: any cpu hotplug changes in 2.6.24-current-git?

On Wednesday, 6 of February 2008, Pavel Machek wrote:
> Hi!

Hi,

> Are there any recent changes in cpu hotplug? I have suspend (random)
> problems, nosmp seems to fix it, and last messages in the "it hangs"
> case are from cpu hotplug...

I also have problems like this, investigating.

Please check if that started to trigger after the scheduler changes (you'd
need to go to commit b47711bfbcd4eb77ca61ef0162487b20e023ae55 IIRC).

Thanks,
Rafael

2008-02-06 15:25:59

by Gregory Haskins

Pavel Machek wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Are there any recent changes in cpu hotplug? I have suspend (random)
> problems, nosmp seems to fix it, and last messages in the "it hangs"
> case are from cpu hotplug...
> Pavel

Hi Pavel,
Can you send along your cpuinfo?

-Greg

2008-02-06 22:44:31

by Pavel Machek

Hi!

>> Are there any recent changes in cpu hotplug? I have suspend (random)
>> problems, nosmp seems to fix it, and last messages in the "it hangs"
>> case are from cpu hotplug...

> Can you send along your cpuinfo?

It happened on more than one machine, one cpuinfo is:

processor : 1
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 14
model name : Genuine Intel(R) CPU T2400 @ 1.83GHz
stepping : 8
cpu MHz : 1000.000
cache size : 2048 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 2
core id : 1
cpu cores : 2
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 10
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
mca cmov pat clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx
constant_tsc arch_perfmon bts pni monitor vmx est tm2 xtpr
bogomips : 3657.58
clflush size : 64

Pavel

by Gregory Haskins

Pavel Machek wrote:
> Hi!
>

>>> Are there any recent changes in cpu hotplug? I have suspend (random)
>>> problems, nosmp seems to fix it, and last messages in the "it hangs"
>>> case are from cpu hotplug...
>>>

>> Can you send along your cpuinfo?
>>

> It happened on more than one machine, one cpuinfo is:

Ah, ok. This one is a C2D, correct? The only reason I asked is that
someone was reporting an s2ram problem on P4s on some of that
root-domain logic I submitted a little while ago (and was merged in
.25), whereas C2D seemed fine. That doesn't mean anything here,
really. The problem could still be my code, or it might be unrelated.
I was just wondering if you also had a P4 on the troubled systems.

So is your problem on suspend or resume? (or both?) (I know you
mentioned it was random problems, but I wasn't sure if you could qualify
that further)

Any info you can provide will be appreciated.

-Greg

> processor : 1
> vendor_id : GenuineIntel
> cpu family : 6
> model : 14
> model name : Genuine Intel(R) CPU T2400 @ 1.83GHz
> stepping : 8
> cpu MHz : 1000.000
> cache size : 2048 KB
> physical id : 0
> siblings : 2
> core id : 1
> cpu cores : 2
> fdiv_bug : no
> hlt_bug : no
> f00f_bug : no
> coma_bug : no
> fpu : yes
> fpu_exception : yes
> cpuid level : 10
> wp : yes
> flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
> mca cmov pat clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx
> constant_tsc arch_perfmon bts pni monitor vmx est tm2 xtpr
> bogomips : 3657.58
> clflush size : 64
>
> Pavel

Attachments:
signature.asc (250.00 B)
OpenPGP digital signature

2008-02-07 15:19:28

by Pavel Machek

On Wed 2008-02-06 19:49:19, Gregory Haskins wrote:
> Pavel Machek wrote:
>> Hi!

>>> Can you send along your cpuinfo?
>>>

>> It happened on more than one machine, one cpuinfo is:
>>
> Ah, ok. This one is a C2D, correct? The only reason I asked is that

I don't know what "C2D" means... core2duo? Yes, this is core2duo.

> someone was reporting an s2ram problem on P4s on some of that root-domain
> logic I submitted a little while ago (and was merged in .25), whereas C2D
> seemed fine. That doesn't mean anything here, really. The problem could
> still be my code, or it might be unrelated. I was just wondering if you
> also had a P4 on the troubled systems.
>
> So is your problem on suspend or resume? (or both?) (I know you mentioned
> it was random problems, but I wasn't sure if you could qualify that
> further)

It dies at suspend, always in same place, but not always.

OTOH last few suspends worked for me, not sure what changed...