2008-02-14 14:42:32

by Stephen Rothwell

Subject: linux-next: quilt series

Hi all,

To make my life easier, can I ask that the series file for any quilt trees in the linux-next tree have a comment at the top to identify their base (either a SHA1 or some other ref in Linus' tree). Like this:

# BASE <SHA1 or ref>

Also, if you only want a subset of the series file included, you can mark the patches with

# NEXT_PATCHES_START
.
.
# NEXT_PATCHES_END

Thanks.
Stephen Rothwell [email protected]
http://www.canb.auug.org.au/~sfr/

Attachments:
(No filename) (491.00 B)
(No filename) (189.00 B)

by Jean Delvare

Subject: Re: linux-next: quilt series

Hi Stephen,

On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 01:42:10 +1100, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> To make my life easier, can I ask that the series file for
> any quilt trees in the linux-next tree have a comment at the
> top to identify their base (either a SHA1 or some other ref
> in Linus' tree). Like this:
>
> # BASE <SHA1 or ref>

Done. Right now it says:

# BASE 2.6.25-rc1-git3

Is it OK with you?

--
Jean Delvare

2008-02-14 15:09:01

by Stephen Rothwell

Hi Jean,

On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 16:04:42 +0100 Jean Delvare <[email protected]> wrote:

> Done. Right now it says:
>
> # BASE 2.6.25-rc1-git3
>
> Is it OK with you?

That is great. Thanks.

Stephen Rothwell [email protected]
http://www.canb.auug.org.au/~sfr/

Attachments:
(No filename) (295.00 B)
(No filename) (189.00 B)

by Jiri Kosina

On Thu, 14 Feb 2008, Jean Delvare wrote:

> > To make my life easier, can I ask that the series file for any quilt
> > trees in the linux-next tree have a comment at the top to identify
> > their base (either a SHA1 or some other ref in Linus' tree). Like
> > this:
> > # BASE <SHA1 or ref>
> Done. Right now it says:
> # BASE 2.6.25-rc1-git3
> Is it OK with you?

The daily snapshots are not tagged in Linus' tree, right? So I don't think
this would suffice.

--
Jiri Kosina

2008-02-14 15:15:20

by Stephen Rothwell

Hi Jiri,

On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 16:08:06 +0100 (CET) Jiri Kosina <[email protected]> wrote:

> The daily snapshots are not tagged in Linus' tree, right? So I don't think
> this would suffice.

Its ok, I know how to convert them to SHA1s.

Stephen Rothwell [email protected]
http://www.canb.auug.org.au/~sfr/

Attachments:
(No filename) (339.00 B)
(No filename) (189.00 B)

by Randy Dunlap

On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 01:42:10 +1100 Stephen Rothwell wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> To make my life easier, can I ask that the series file for any quilt trees in the linux-next tree have a comment at the top to identify their base (either a SHA1 or some other ref in Linus' tree). Like this:
>
> # BASE <SHA1 or ref>
>
> Also, if you only want a subset of the series file included, you can mark the patches with
>
> # NEXT_PATCHES_START
> .
> .
> # NEXT_PATCHES_END

Do you allow multiple START/END blocks?

---
~Randy

On Thursday 14 February 2008, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> To make my life easier, can I ask that the series file for any quilt trees in the linux-next tree have a comment at the top to identify their base (either a SHA1 or some other ref in Linus' tree). Like this:
>
> # BASE <SHA1 or ref>

done:

# BASE commit 96b5a46e2a72dc1829370c87053e0cd558d58bc0

Please add

http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/bart/pata-2.6/patches/

to linux-next.

Thanks,
Bart

2008-02-14 20:44:41

by Greg KH

On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 01:42:10AM +1100, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> To make my life easier, can I ask that the series file for any quilt trees in the linux-next tree have a comment at the top to identify their base (either a SHA1 or some other ref in Linus' tree). Like this:
>
> # BASE <SHA1 or ref>

My trees are now marked with this.

> Also, if you only want a subset of the series file included, you can mark the patches with
>
> # NEXT_PATCHES_START
> .
> .
> # NEXT_PATCHES_END

Oh, that's nice.

Can we write these things down somewhere on the web so that I, and
others, remember them in a few months? :)

thanks,

greg k-h

2008-02-14 23:48:37

by Stephen Rothwell

Hi Randy,

On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 08:42:33 -0800 Randy Dunlap <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 01:42:10 +1100 Stephen Rothwell wrote:
>
> > Also, if you only want a subset of the series file included, you can mark the patches with
> >
> > # NEXT_PATCHES_START
> > .
> > .
> > # NEXT_PATCHES_END
>
> Do you allow multiple START/END blocks?

I can and certainly intended to. (I am still writing scripts so anything
is possible - after all it is only software :-))

Stephen Rothwell [email protected]
http://www.canb.auug.org.au/~sfr/

Attachments:
(No filename) (592.00 B)
(No filename) (189.00 B)

by Stephen Rothwell

Hi Bart,

On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 20:20:39 +0100 Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz <[email protected]> wrote:

> Please add
>
> http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/bart/pata-2.6/patches/
>
> to linux-next.

Added, thanks.

Stephen Rothwell [email protected]
http://www.canb.auug.org.au/~sfr/

Attachments:
(No filename) (325.00 B)
(No filename) (189.00 B)

by Stephen Rothwell

On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 12:42:09 -0800 Greg KH <[email protected]> wrote:

> > # BASE <SHA1 or ref>
>
> My trees are now marked with this.

Thanks.

> > # NEXT_PATCHES_START
> > .
> > .
> > # NEXT_PATCHES_END
>
> Oh, that's nice.

Thanks, but not my idea - kudos to Alasdair Kergon.

> Can we write these things down somewhere on the web so that I, and
> others, remember them in a few months? :)

Certainly, I will write something up.

Stephen Rothwell [email protected]
http://www.canb.auug.org.au/~sfr/

Attachments:
(No filename) (539.00 B)
(No filename) (189.00 B)

by Frank Seidel

Greg KH wrote:
> Can we write these things down somewhere on the web so that I, and
> others, remember them in a few months? :)

Although this probably isn't what you were asking for, i anyway started
to put some of the basic things about linux-next together and filled a
naive little webpage with it:

http://linux.f-seidel.de/linux-next/

while the wiki there is probably most interesting as it e.g. already
contains some info about those quilt comments and is amazingly easy to
adapt and enhance.

Thanks,
Frank

2008-02-19 17:59:28

by Greg KH

On Tue, Feb 19, 2008 at 01:40:37AM +0100, Frank Seidel wrote:
> Greg KH wrote:
> > Can we write these things down somewhere on the web so that I, and
> > others, remember them in a few months? :)
>
> Although this probably isn't what you were asking for, i anyway started
> to put some of the basic things about linux-next together and filled a
> naive little webpage with it:
>
> http://linux.f-seidel.de/linux-next/

It's a good start, thanks for posting it.

greg k-h