2008-06-02 22:28:04

by Geoff Levand

Subject: Re: [rtc-linux] state of GEN_RTC vs rtc subsystem

Geoff Levand wrote:
> Alessandro Zummo wrote:
>> On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 10:11:23 -0600
>> Kumar Gala <[email protected]> wrote:
>>

>>> Is the functionality provided by drivers/char/gen_rtc.c completely
>>> handled by the rtc subsystem in drivers/rtc?
>>>
>>> I ask for two reasons:
>>> 1. should we make it mutually exclusive in Kconfig
>>> 2. I've enabled both and get (we'll my defconfig did):
>>
>> They shouldn't be enabled at once. I think a patch
>> for Kconfig has been recently submitted to give a warning
>> in such a case.
>>
>> rtc-cmos should be able to handle the vast majority of x86
>> rtcs out there.
>
> gen_rtc was hooked up to the powerpc platform
> ppc_md.set_rtc_time and ppc_md.get_rtc_time via the arch
> specific get_rtc_time() and set_rtc_time() routines.
>
>>From what I can tell, those generic rtc routines the powerpc
> arch provides are not properly hooked into the new rtc subsystem.
> This causes problems for multi-platform builds where some platforms
> must use gen_rtc, and some must the new rtc subsytem.

Just to follow up, I found that David Woodhouse has submitted
a patch which does this:

http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/linuxppc/patch?id=18139

-Geoff

2008-06-07 06:38:35

by Rogério Brito

Hi there.

On Jun 02 2008, Geoff Levand wrote:
> Geoff Levand wrote:
> > From what I can tell, those generic rtc routines the powerpc
> > arch provides are not properly hooked into the new rtc subsystem.
> > This causes problems for multi-platform builds where some platforms
> > must use gen_rtc, and some must the new rtc subsytem.
>
> Just to follow up, I found that David Woodhouse has submitted
> a patch which does this:
>
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/linuxppc/patch?id=18139

This is nice, since I was just going to ask why my config file (put at
http://www.ime.usp.br/~rbrito/debug/config-2.6.26-rc4-4) has

(...)
# CONFIG_PPC_CLOCK is not set
(...)

Even if I force it to yes. When I run a "make oldconfig", it sets back
the PPC_CLOCK to not set. :-(

If anybody can explain what is going on (and how to correct it), I would
kindly appreciate it (and even generate some documentation on the
options, if I understand the issue it well enough).

Regards, Rog?rio Brito.

--
Rog?rio Brito : rbrito@{mackenzie,ime.usp}.br : GPG key 1024D/7C2CAEB8

by David Woodhouse

Subject: Re: [rtc-linux] Re: state of GEN_RTC vs rtc subsystem

On Mon, 2008-06-02 at 15:27 -0700, Geoff Levand wrote:

> Just to follow up, I found that David Woodhouse has submitted
> a patch which does this:
>
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/linuxppc/patch?id=18139

It's merged now:
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=aabe1885