2008-06-18 21:15:25

by Ryan Hope

Subject: [BUG] Lockless patches cause hardlock under heavy IO

I applied the following patches from 2.6-26-rc5-mm3 to 2.6.26-rc6 and
they caused a hardlock under heavy IO:

x86-implement-pte_special.patch
mm-introduce-get_user_pages_fast.patch
mm-introduce-get_user_pages_fast-fix.patch
mm-introduce-get_user_pages_fast-checkpatch-fixes.patch
x86-lockless-get_user_pages_fast.patch
x86-lockless-get_user_pages_fast-checkpatch-fixes.patch
x86-lockless-get_user_pages_fast-fix.patch
x86-lockless-get_user_pages_fast-fix-2.patch
x86-lockless-get_user_pages_fast-fix-2-fix-fix.patch
x86-lockless-get_user_pages_fast-fix-warning.patch
dio-use-get_user_pages_fast.patch
splice-use-get_user_pages_fast.patch
x86-support-1gb-hugepages-with-get_user_pages_lockless.patch
#
mm-readahead-scan-lockless.patch
radix-tree-add-gang_lookup_slot-gang_lookup_slot_tag.patch
#mm-speculative-page-references.patch: clameter saw bustage
mm-speculative-page-references.patch
mm-speculative-page-references-fix.patch
mm-speculative-page-references-fix-fix.patch
mm-speculative-page-references-hugh-fix3.patch
mm-lockless-pagecache.patch
mm-spinlock-tree_lock.patch
powerpc-implement-pte_special.patch

I am on an x86_64. I dont know what other info you need...

-Ryan

2008-06-18 21:29:06

by Arjan van de Ven

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 17:15:08 -0400
"Ryan Hope" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I applied the following patches from 2.6-26-rc5-mm3

> I am on an x86_64. I dont know what other info you need...

if it's locking related, enabling LOCKDEP is a first good test to do.

CONFIG_PROVE_LOCKING=y
as well as the various spinlock/mutex lock debug questions

--
If you want to reach me at my work email, use [email protected]
visit http://www.lesswatts.org

2008-06-19 08:12:11

by Peter Zijlstra

On Wed, 2008-06-18 at 17:15 -0400, Ryan Hope wrote:
> I applied the following patches from 2.6-26-rc5-mm3 to 2.6.26-rc6 and
> they caused a hardlock under heavy IO:

What kind of machine, how much memory, how many spindles, what
filesystem and what is heavy load?

Furthermore, try the NMI watchdog with serial/net-console to capture its
output.

> x86-implement-pte_special.patch
> mm-introduce-get_user_pages_fast.patch
> mm-introduce-get_user_pages_fast-fix.patch
> mm-introduce-get_user_pages_fast-checkpatch-fixes.patch
> x86-lockless-get_user_pages_fast.patch
> x86-lockless-get_user_pages_fast-checkpatch-fixes.patch
> x86-lockless-get_user_pages_fast-fix.patch
> x86-lockless-get_user_pages_fast-fix-2.patch
> x86-lockless-get_user_pages_fast-fix-2-fix-fix.patch
> x86-lockless-get_user_pages_fast-fix-warning.patch
> dio-use-get_user_pages_fast.patch
> splice-use-get_user_pages_fast.patch
> x86-support-1gb-hugepages-with-get_user_pages_lockless.patch
> #
> mm-readahead-scan-lockless.patch
> radix-tree-add-gang_lookup_slot-gang_lookup_slot_tag.patch
> #mm-speculative-page-references.patch: clameter saw bustage
> mm-speculative-page-references.patch
> mm-speculative-page-references-fix.patch
> mm-speculative-page-references-fix-fix.patch
> mm-speculative-page-references-hugh-fix3.patch
> mm-lockless-pagecache.patch
> mm-spinlock-tree_lock.patch
> powerpc-implement-pte_special.patch
>
> I am on an x86_64. I dont know what other info you need...

2008-06-19 08:20:17

by Nick Piggin

On Thursday 19 June 2008 18:12, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-06-18 at 17:15 -0400, Ryan Hope wrote:
> > I applied the following patches from 2.6-26-rc5-mm3 to 2.6.26-rc6 and
> > they caused a hardlock under heavy IO:
>
> What kind of machine, how much memory, how many spindles, what
> filesystem and what is heavy load?
>
> Furthermore, try the NMI watchdog with serial/net-console to capture its
> output.

Good suggestions. A trace would be really helpful.

As Arjan suggested, debug options especially CONFIG_DEBUG_VM would be
a good idea to turn on if you haven't already.

BTW. what was the reason for applying those patches? Did you hit the
problem with -mm also, and hope to narrow it down?

> > x86-implement-pte_special.patch
> > mm-introduce-get_user_pages_fast.patch
> > mm-introduce-get_user_pages_fast-fix.patch
> > mm-introduce-get_user_pages_fast-checkpatch-fixes.patch
> > x86-lockless-get_user_pages_fast.patch
> > x86-lockless-get_user_pages_fast-checkpatch-fixes.patch
> > x86-lockless-get_user_pages_fast-fix.patch
> > x86-lockless-get_user_pages_fast-fix-2.patch
> > x86-lockless-get_user_pages_fast-fix-2-fix-fix.patch
> > x86-lockless-get_user_pages_fast-fix-warning.patch
> > dio-use-get_user_pages_fast.patch
> > splice-use-get_user_pages_fast.patch
> > x86-support-1gb-hugepages-with-get_user_pages_lockless.patch
> > #
> > mm-readahead-scan-lockless.patch
> > radix-tree-add-gang_lookup_slot-gang_lookup_slot_tag.patch
> > #mm-speculative-page-references.patch: clameter saw bustage
> > mm-speculative-page-references.patch
> > mm-speculative-page-references-fix.patch
> > mm-speculative-page-references-fix-fix.patch
> > mm-speculative-page-references-hugh-fix3.patch
> > mm-lockless-pagecache.patch
> > mm-spinlock-tree_lock.patch
> > powerpc-implement-pte_special.patch
> >
> > I am on an x86_64. I dont know what other info you need...

Can you isolate it to one of the two groups of patches? I suspect it
might be the latter so you might try that first -- this version of
speculative page references is very nice in theory but it is a little
more complex to implement the slowpaths so it could be an error there.

2008-06-19 14:46:19

by Ryan Hope

Well enabling these debug options is sorta useless because once it
hardlocks I cant see or do anything..

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 5:28 PM, Arjan van de Ven <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 17:15:08 -0400
> "Ryan Hope" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> I applied the following patches from 2.6-26-rc5-mm3
>

>> I am on an x86_64. I dont know what other info you need...
>>

> if it's locking related, enabling LOCKDEP is a first good test to do.
>
> CONFIG_PROVE_LOCKING=y
> as well as the various spinlock/mutex lock debug questions
>

> --
> If you want to reach me at my work email, use [email protected]
> For development, discussion and tips for power savings,
> visit http://www.lesswatts.org

2008-06-19 14:52:50

by Ryan Hope

The reason for applying these patches was because users of my patchset
have been wanting me to include lockless again. It was pretty popular
among the users but we removed it because it would cause hardlocks. I
though I would try it out again now that its in -mm.

I guess I could start reverting patches and see if the issue goes away.

On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 4:19 AM, Nick Piggin <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Thursday 19 June 2008 18:12, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
>> On Wed, 2008-06-18 at 17:15 -0400, Ryan Hope wrote:
>> > I applied the following patches from 2.6-26-rc5-mm3 to 2.6.26-rc6 and
>> > they caused a hardlock under heavy IO:
>>
>> What kind of machine, how much memory, how many spindles, what
>> filesystem and what is heavy load?
>>
>> Furthermore, try the NMI watchdog with serial/net-console to capture its
>> output.
>

> Good suggestions. A trace would be really helpful.
>
> As Arjan suggested, debug options especially CONFIG_DEBUG_VM would be
> a good idea to turn on if you haven't already.
>
> BTW. what was the reason for applying those patches? Did you hit the
> problem with -mm also, and hope to narrow it down?
>

>> > x86-implement-pte_special.patch
>> > mm-introduce-get_user_pages_fast.patch
>> > mm-introduce-get_user_pages_fast-fix.patch
>> > mm-introduce-get_user_pages_fast-checkpatch-fixes.patch
>> > x86-lockless-get_user_pages_fast.patch
>> > x86-lockless-get_user_pages_fast-checkpatch-fixes.patch
>> > x86-lockless-get_user_pages_fast-fix.patch
>> > x86-lockless-get_user_pages_fast-fix-2.patch
>> > x86-lockless-get_user_pages_fast-fix-2-fix-fix.patch
>> > x86-lockless-get_user_pages_fast-fix-warning.patch
>> > dio-use-get_user_pages_fast.patch
>> > splice-use-get_user_pages_fast.patch
>> > x86-support-1gb-hugepages-with-get_user_pages_lockless.patch
>> > #
>> > mm-readahead-scan-lockless.patch
>> > radix-tree-add-gang_lookup_slot-gang_lookup_slot_tag.patch
>> > #mm-speculative-page-references.patch: clameter saw bustage
>> > mm-speculative-page-references.patch
>> > mm-speculative-page-references-fix.patch
>> > mm-speculative-page-references-fix-fix.patch
>> > mm-speculative-page-references-hugh-fix3.patch
>> > mm-lockless-pagecache.patch
>> > mm-spinlock-tree_lock.patch
>> > powerpc-implement-pte_special.patch
>> >
>> > I am on an x86_64. I dont know what other info you need...
>
> Can you isolate it to one of the two groups of patches? I suspect it
> might be the latter so you might try that first -- this version of
> speculative page references is very nice in theory but it is a little
> more complex to implement the slowpaths so it could be an error there.

2008-06-19 20:32:12

by Ryan Hope

This seems to be hardlocking on anyone that has a 64bit processor, the
only one who this has not locked on yet has a 32bit processor. I hope
that helps, its the best I can come up with so far.

-Ryan

On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 4:19 AM, Nick Piggin <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Thursday 19 June 2008 18:12, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
>> On Wed, 2008-06-18 at 17:15 -0400, Ryan Hope wrote:
>> > I applied the following patches from 2.6-26-rc5-mm3 to 2.6.26-rc6 and
>> > they caused a hardlock under heavy IO:
>>
>> What kind of machine, how much memory, how many spindles, what
>> filesystem and what is heavy load?
>>
>> Furthermore, try the NMI watchdog with serial/net-console to capture its
>> output.
>

> Good suggestions. A trace would be really helpful.
>
> As Arjan suggested, debug options especially CONFIG_DEBUG_VM would be
> a good idea to turn on if you haven't already.
>
> BTW. what was the reason for applying those patches? Did you hit the
> problem with -mm also, and hope to narrow it down?
>

>> > x86-implement-pte_special.patch
>> > mm-introduce-get_user_pages_fast.patch
>> > mm-introduce-get_user_pages_fast-fix.patch
>> > mm-introduce-get_user_pages_fast-checkpatch-fixes.patch
>> > x86-lockless-get_user_pages_fast.patch
>> > x86-lockless-get_user_pages_fast-checkpatch-fixes.patch
>> > x86-lockless-get_user_pages_fast-fix.patch
>> > x86-lockless-get_user_pages_fast-fix-2.patch
>> > x86-lockless-get_user_pages_fast-fix-2-fix-fix.patch
>> > x86-lockless-get_user_pages_fast-fix-warning.patch
>> > dio-use-get_user_pages_fast.patch
>> > splice-use-get_user_pages_fast.patch
>> > x86-support-1gb-hugepages-with-get_user_pages_lockless.patch
>> > #
>> > mm-readahead-scan-lockless.patch
>> > radix-tree-add-gang_lookup_slot-gang_lookup_slot_tag.patch
>> > #mm-speculative-page-references.patch: clameter saw bustage
>> > mm-speculative-page-references.patch
>> > mm-speculative-page-references-fix.patch
>> > mm-speculative-page-references-fix-fix.patch
>> > mm-speculative-page-references-hugh-fix3.patch
>> > mm-lockless-pagecache.patch
>> > mm-spinlock-tree_lock.patch
>> > powerpc-implement-pte_special.patch
>> >
>> > I am on an x86_64. I dont know what other info you need...
>
> Can you isolate it to one of the two groups of patches? I suspect it
> might be the latter so you might try that first -- this version of
> speculative page references is very nice in theory but it is a little
> more complex to implement the slowpaths so it could be an error there.

2008-06-20 00:05:34

by Arjan van de Ven

On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 10:45:43 -0400
"Ryan Hope" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Well enabling these debug options is sorta useless because once it
> hardlocks I cant see or do anything..

the nice thing about lockdep is that it spots *potential* deadlocks;
often well before the actual deadlock happens...

--
If you want to reach me at my work email, use [email protected]
visit http://www.lesswatts.org

2008-06-20 14:33:32

by Ryan Hope

Well if there are no more suggestion we are going to have to abandon
testing lockless for now because it is causing hardlocks on everyones
box who uses it. I hope the next round of patches has better luck.

On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 4:19 AM, Nick Piggin <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Thursday 19 June 2008 18:12, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
>> On Wed, 2008-06-18 at 17:15 -0400, Ryan Hope wrote:
>> > I applied the following patches from 2.6-26-rc5-mm3 to 2.6.26-rc6 and
>> > they caused a hardlock under heavy IO:
>>
>> What kind of machine, how much memory, how many spindles, what
>> filesystem and what is heavy load?
>>
>> Furthermore, try the NMI watchdog with serial/net-console to capture its
>> output.
>

> Good suggestions. A trace would be really helpful.
>
> As Arjan suggested, debug options especially CONFIG_DEBUG_VM would be
> a good idea to turn on if you haven't already.
>
> BTW. what was the reason for applying those patches? Did you hit the
> problem with -mm also, and hope to narrow it down?
>

>> > x86-implement-pte_special.patch
>> > mm-introduce-get_user_pages_fast.patch
>> > mm-introduce-get_user_pages_fast-fix.patch
>> > mm-introduce-get_user_pages_fast-checkpatch-fixes.patch
>> > x86-lockless-get_user_pages_fast.patch
>> > x86-lockless-get_user_pages_fast-checkpatch-fixes.patch
>> > x86-lockless-get_user_pages_fast-fix.patch
>> > x86-lockless-get_user_pages_fast-fix-2.patch
>> > x86-lockless-get_user_pages_fast-fix-2-fix-fix.patch
>> > x86-lockless-get_user_pages_fast-fix-warning.patch
>> > dio-use-get_user_pages_fast.patch
>> > splice-use-get_user_pages_fast.patch
>> > x86-support-1gb-hugepages-with-get_user_pages_lockless.patch
>> > #
>> > mm-readahead-scan-lockless.patch
>> > radix-tree-add-gang_lookup_slot-gang_lookup_slot_tag.patch
>> > #mm-speculative-page-references.patch: clameter saw bustage
>> > mm-speculative-page-references.patch
>> > mm-speculative-page-references-fix.patch
>> > mm-speculative-page-references-fix-fix.patch
>> > mm-speculative-page-references-hugh-fix3.patch
>> > mm-lockless-pagecache.patch
>> > mm-spinlock-tree_lock.patch
>> > powerpc-implement-pte_special.patch
>> >
>> > I am on an x86_64. I dont know what other info you need...
>
> Can you isolate it to one of the two groups of patches? I suspect it
> might be the latter so you might try that first -- this version of
> speculative page references is very nice in theory but it is a little
> more complex to implement the slowpaths so it could be an error there.

2008-06-22 14:37:30

by Ryan Hope

Well I couldn't stop playing with this... I am pretty sure the cause
of the hardlocks is in the second half of the patches (the speculative
page ref patches). I reversed all of those patches so that just the
GUP patchs were included and no more hardlocks... then I applied the
concurrent page cache patches from the -rt branch include 1 OLD
speculative page ref patch and this caused hardlocks for peopel again.
However enabling heap randomization fixed the hardlocks for one of the
users and the disabling swap fixed the issue of the other user. I hope
this helps.

-Ryan

On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 4:19 AM, Nick Piggin <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Thursday 19 June 2008 18:12, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
>> On Wed, 2008-06-18 at 17:15 -0400, Ryan Hope wrote:
>> > I applied the following patches from 2.6-26-rc5-mm3 to 2.6.26-rc6 and
>> > they caused a hardlock under heavy IO:
>>
>> What kind of machine, how much memory, how many spindles, what
>> filesystem and what is heavy load?
>>
>> Furthermore, try the NMI watchdog with serial/net-console to capture its
>> output.
>

> Good suggestions. A trace would be really helpful.
>
> As Arjan suggested, debug options especially CONFIG_DEBUG_VM would be
> a good idea to turn on if you haven't already.
>
> BTW. what was the reason for applying those patches? Did you hit the
> problem with -mm also, and hope to narrow it down?
>

>> > x86-implement-pte_special.patch
>> > mm-introduce-get_user_pages_fast.patch
>> > mm-introduce-get_user_pages_fast-fix.patch
>> > mm-introduce-get_user_pages_fast-checkpatch-fixes.patch
>> > x86-lockless-get_user_pages_fast.patch
>> > x86-lockless-get_user_pages_fast-checkpatch-fixes.patch
>> > x86-lockless-get_user_pages_fast-fix.patch
>> > x86-lockless-get_user_pages_fast-fix-2.patch
>> > x86-lockless-get_user_pages_fast-fix-2-fix-fix.patch
>> > x86-lockless-get_user_pages_fast-fix-warning.patch
>> > dio-use-get_user_pages_fast.patch
>> > splice-use-get_user_pages_fast.patch
>> > x86-support-1gb-hugepages-with-get_user_pages_lockless.patch
>> > #
>> > mm-readahead-scan-lockless.patch
>> > radix-tree-add-gang_lookup_slot-gang_lookup_slot_tag.patch
>> > #mm-speculative-page-references.patch: clameter saw bustage
>> > mm-speculative-page-references.patch
>> > mm-speculative-page-references-fix.patch
>> > mm-speculative-page-references-fix-fix.patch
>> > mm-speculative-page-references-hugh-fix3.patch
>> > mm-lockless-pagecache.patch
>> > mm-spinlock-tree_lock.patch
>> > powerpc-implement-pte_special.patch
>> >
>> > I am on an x86_64. I dont know what other info you need...
>
> Can you isolate it to one of the two groups of patches? I suspect it
> might be the latter so you might try that first -- this version of
> speculative page references is very nice in theory but it is a little
> more complex to implement the slowpaths so it could be an error there.

2008-06-22 15:07:52

by Peter Zijlstra

On Sun, 2008-06-22 at 10:37 -0400, Ryan Hope wrote:
> Well I couldn't stop playing with this... I am pretty sure the cause
> of the hardlocks is in the second half of the patches (the speculative
> page ref patches). I reversed all of those patches so that just the
> GUP patchs were included and no more hardlocks... then I applied the
> concurrent page cache patches from the -rt branch include 1 OLD
> speculative page ref patch and this caused hardlocks for peopel again.
> However enabling heap randomization fixed the hardlocks for one of the
> users and the disabling swap fixed the issue of the other user. I hope
> this helps.

What are people doing to make it hang?

> On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 4:19 AM, Nick Piggin <[email protected]> wrote:
> >>
> >> What kind of machine, how much memory, how many spindles, what
> >> filesystem and what is heavy load?
> >>
> >> Furthermore, try the NMI watchdog with serial/net-console to capture its
> >> output.
> >

> > Good suggestions. A trace would be really helpful.
> >
> > As Arjan suggested, debug options especially CONFIG_DEBUG_VM would be
> > a good idea to turn on if you haven't already.
> >
> > BTW. what was the reason for applying those patches? Did you hit the
> > problem with -mm also, and hope to narrow it down?

> > Can you isolate it to one of the two groups of patches? I suspect it
> > might be the latter so you might try that first -- this version of
> > speculative page references is very nice in theory but it is a little
> > more complex to implement the slowpaths so it could be an error there.

2008-06-22 15:18:23

by Ryan Hope

Well in the current version of the patchset we are using, one user
would start playing some game (disabling "Disable Heap Randomization"
fixed the hardlocks for him... the other user got hardlocks when
copying an ISO from a reiser4 partition to a reiserfs partition
(disabling swap fixed the issue for him).

On Sun, Jun 22, 2008 at 11:07 AM, Peter Zijlstra <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-06-22 at 10:37 -0400, Ryan Hope wrote:
>> Well I couldn't stop playing with this... I am pretty sure the cause
>> of the hardlocks is in the second half of the patches (the speculative
>> page ref patches). I reversed all of those patches so that just the
>> GUP patchs were included and no more hardlocks... then I applied the
>> concurrent page cache patches from the -rt branch include 1 OLD
>> speculative page ref patch and this caused hardlocks for peopel again.
>> However enabling heap randomization fixed the hardlocks for one of the
>> users and the disabling swap fixed the issue of the other user. I hope
>> this helps.
>
> What are people doing to make it hang?

>> > Good suggestions. A trace would be really helpful.
>> >
>> > As Arjan suggested, debug options especially CONFIG_DEBUG_VM would be
>> > a good idea to turn on if you haven't already.
>> >
>> > BTW. what was the reason for applying those patches? Did you hit the
>> > problem with -mm also, and hope to narrow it down?

>> > Can you isolate it to one of the two groups of patches? I suspect it
>> > might be the latter so you might try that first -- this version of
>> > speculative page references is very nice in theory but it is a little
>> > more complex to implement the slowpaths so it could be an error there.

2008-06-23 02:30:06

by Nick Piggin

On Monday 23 June 2008 01:18, Ryan Hope wrote:
> Well in the current version of the patchset we are using, one user
> would start playing some game (disabling "Disable Heap Randomization"
> fixed the hardlocks for him... the other user got hardlocks when
> copying an ISO from a reiser4 partition to a reiserfs partition
> (disabling swap fixed the issue for him).

Hmm, nobody has reported such a hang with -mm yet, so maybe it
is another interaction in the patchset. OTOH, probably nobody
much uses -mm and reiser4, and reiser4 does lots of weird fiddling
with pagecache so it could be broken in -mm even.

2008-06-23 03:51:35

by Ryan Hope

well i get the hardlock on -mm with out using reiser4, i am pretty
sure is swap related

On Sun, Jun 22, 2008 at 10:29 PM, Nick Piggin <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Monday 23 June 2008 01:18, Ryan Hope wrote:
>> Well in the current version of the patchset we are using, one user
>> would start playing some game (disabling "Disable Heap Randomization"
>> fixed the hardlocks for him... the other user got hardlocks when
>> copying an ISO from a reiser4 partition to a reiserfs partition
>> (disabling swap fixed the issue for him).
>
> Hmm, nobody has reported such a hang with -mm yet, so maybe it
> is another interaction in the patchset. OTOH, probably nobody
> much uses -mm and reiser4, and reiser4 does lots of weird fiddling
> with pagecache so it could be broken in -mm even.

2008-06-23 03:56:19

by Nick Piggin

On Monday 23 June 2008 13:51, Ryan Hope wrote:
> well i get the hardlock on -mm with out using reiser4, i am pretty
> sure is swap related

Oh you do, OK good, it would be nice if I were able to reproduce it here.

Any particular thing that triggers it? Preferably without running X or
any proprietary software (eg. if you run a make -j128 kernel compile or
something that forces a lot of swapping, does that lock up?).

What filesystem? Can you also attach your .config

No luck getting a backtrace out of the NMI watchdog?

Thanks,
Nick

2008-06-23 11:55:24

by Nick Piggin

On Monday 23 June 2008 13:51, Ryan Hope wrote:
> well i get the hardlock on -mm with out using reiser4, i am pretty
> sure is swap related

The guys seeing hangs don't use PREEMPT_RCU, do they?

In my swapping tests, I found -mm3 to be stable with classic RCU, but
on a hunch, I tried PREEMPT_RCU and it crashed a couple of times rather
quickly. First crash was in find_get_pages so I suspected lockless
pagecache doing something subtly wrong with the RCU API, but I just got
another crash in __d_lookup:

BUG: unable to handle kernel paging request at ffff81004a139f38
IP: [<ffffffff802bb82c>] __d_lookup+0x8c/0x160
PGD 8063 PUD 7fc3f163 PMD 7df50163 PTE 800000004a139160
Oops: 0000 [1] PREEMPT SMP DEBUG_PAGEALLOC
last sysfs file: /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu7/cache/index2/shared_cpu_map
CPU 0
Modules linked in: brd
Pid: 29563, comm: cc1 Not tainted 2.6.26-rc5-mm3 #467
RIP: 0010:[<ffffffff802bb82c>] [<ffffffff802bb82c>] __d_lookup+0x8c/0x160
RSP: 0018:ffff81004bf7dba8 EFLAGS: 00010282
RAX: 0000000000000007 RBX: ffff81004a139f38 RCX: 0000000000000000
RDX: ffff810028057808 RSI: 0000000000000000 RDI: ffff81004bf7a880
RBP: ffff81004bf7dbf8 R08: 0000000000000001 R09: 0000000000000001
R10: 0000000000000000 R11: 0000000000000001 R12: ffff81004a139ef8
R13: 0000000073885cf7 R14: ffff810070f53ef8 R15: ffff81004bf7dca8
FS: 00002abe0a1decf0(0000) GS:ffffffff80779dc0(0000) knlGS:0000000000000000
CS: 0010 DS: 0000 ES: 0000 CR0: 0000000080050033
CR2: ffff81004a139f38 CR3: 0000000057569000 CR4: 00000000000006e0
DR0: 0000000000000000 DR1: 0000000000000000 DR2: 0000000000000000
DR3: 0000000000000000 DR6: 00000000ffff0ff0 DR7: 0000000000000400
Process cc1 (pid: 29563, threadinfo ffff81004bf7c000, task ffff81004bf7a880)
Stack: 0000000100000001 0000000000000007 ffff810070f53f00 00000007000041ed
ffff810001ce2013 ffff81004bf7dca8 00000000000041ed ffff81004bf7de48
ffff81004bf7dca8 ffff81004bf7dcb8 ffff81004bf7dc48 ffffffff802af2b5
Call Trace:
[<ffffffff802af2b5>] do_lookup+0x35/0x230
[<ffffffff80312d60>] ? ext3_permission+0x10/0x20
[<ffffffff802b0cbb>] __link_path_walk+0x39b/0x10a0
[<ffffffff802b1a26>] path_walk+0x66/0xd0
[<ffffffff802b1cde>] do_path_lookup+0x9e/0x240
[<ffffffff802b21d7>] __path_lookup_intent_open+0x67/0xd0
[<ffffffff802b224c>] path_lookup_open+0xc/0x10
[<ffffffff802b31ba>] do_filp_open+0xaa/0x9f0
[<ffffffff805445f0>] ? _spin_unlock+0x30/0x60
[<ffffffff802a467d>] ? get_unused_fd_flags+0xed/0x140
[<ffffffff802a4746>] do_sys_open+0x76/0x100
[<ffffffff802a47fb>] sys_open+0x1b/0x20
[<ffffffff8020b90b>] system_call_after_swapgs+0x7b/0x80

This path is completely independent of the pagecache, but it does
also use RCU, so I suspect PREEMPT_RCU is freeing things before
the proper grace period. These are showing up as oopses for me
because I have DEBUG_PAGEALLOC set, but if you don't have that set
then you'll get much more subtle corruption.

Here is the find_get_pages bug FYI:
BUG: unable to handle kernel paging request at ffff8100c7997de0
IP: [<ffffffff802732ee>] find_get_pages+0xce/0x130
PGD 8063 PUD 7fa6e163 PMD cfa64163 PTE 80000000c7997163
Oops: 0000 [1] PREEMPT SMP DEBUG_PAGEALLOC
last sysfs file: /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu7/cache/index2/shared_cpu_map
CPU 0
Modules linked in: brd
Pid: 446, comm: kswapd0 Not tainted 2.6.26-rc5-mm3 #465
RIP: 0010:[<ffffffff802732ee>] [<ffffffff802732ee>] find_get_pages+0xce/0x130
RSP: 0000:ffff81007e4cbbf0 EFLAGS: 00010246
RAX: ffff8100c7997de0 RBX: ffff81007e4cbc90 RCX: 0000000000000001
RDX: 0000000000000002 RSI: 0000000000000001 RDI: ffffe2000447f080
RBP: ffff81007e4cbc30 R08: ffffe2000447f088 R09: 0000000000000004
R10: 0000000000000040 R11: 0000000000000040 R12: 0000000000000000
R13: ffff81007e4cbc90 R14: ffff8100c7996e18 R15: 0000000000000000
240 97 7184 1FS: 00002b774a14ccf0(0000) GS:ffffffff807e5dc0(0000)
knlGS:0000
000000000000
CS: 0010 DS: 0018 ES: 0018 CR0: 000000008005003b
2204 25364 4164CR2: ffff8100c7997de0 CR3: 0000000000201000 CR4:
00000000000006e
0
DR0: 0000000000000000 DR1: 0000000000000000 DR2: 0000000000000000
88 0 8 DR3: 0000000000000000 DR6: 00000000ffff0ff0 DR7:
000000000000040
0
Process kswapd0 (pid: 446, threadinfo ffff81007e4ca000, task ffff81007e4d2a00)
ffff81007e4cbcb0 0000000e00000000000000437 65 35 0 0
ffff81007e4cbc80
0000000000000080 0000000000000052 0000000000000000 ffffffffffffffff
ffff81007e4cbc50 ffffffff8027dcdf 0000000000000000 ffff8100c7996c28
Call Trace:
[<ffffffff8027dcdf>] pagevec_lookup+0x1f/0x30
[<ffffffff8027ef43>] __invalidate_mapping_pages+0x83/0x1b0
[<ffffffff8027f07b>] invalidate_mapping_pages+0xb/0x10
[<ffffffff802be2a3>] shrink_icache_memory+0x293/0x2a0
[<ffffffff80281632>] ? shrink_slab+0x32/0x220
[<ffffffff8028172d>] shrink_slab+0x12d/0x220
[<ffffffff8028202a>] kswapd+0x53a/0x670
[<ffffffff8027f830>] ? isolate_pages_global+0x0/0x280
[<ffffffff805a1ada>] ? thread_return+0xa6/0x3bc
[<ffffffff802513f0>] ? autoremove_wake_function+0x0/0x40
[<ffffffff80281af0>] ? kswapd+0x0/0x670
[<ffffffff80251059>] kthread+0x49/0x80
[<ffffffff8020c878>] child_rip+0xa/0x12
[<ffffffff8020bf63>] ? restore_args+0x0/0x30
[<ffffffff80251010>] ? kthread+0x0/0x80
[<ffffffff8020c86e>] ? child_rip+0x0/0x12

If you're not using PREEMPT_RCU, then I'm stumped for the moment. You'll
have to send .configs over...

2008-06-23 13:05:54

by Paul E. McKenney

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 09:54:52PM +1000, Nick Piggin wrote:
> On Monday 23 June 2008 13:51, Ryan Hope wrote:
> > well i get the hardlock on -mm with out using reiser4, i am pretty
> > sure is swap related
>
> The guys seeing hangs don't use PREEMPT_RCU, do they?
>
> In my swapping tests, I found -mm3 to be stable with classic RCU, but
> on a hunch, I tried PREEMPT_RCU and it crashed a couple of times rather
> quickly. First crash was in find_get_pages so I suspected lockless
> pagecache doing something subtly wrong with the RCU API, but I just got
> another crash in __d_lookup:

Could you please send me a repeat-by? (At least Alexey is no longer
alone!)

Thanx, Paul

> [...]
> Call Trace:
> [<ffffffff8027dcdf>] pagevec_lookup+0x1f/0x30
> [<ffffffff8027ef43>] __invalidate_mapping_pages+0x83/0x1b0
> [<ffffffff8027f07b>] invalidate_mapping_pages+0xb/0x10
> [<ffffffff802be2a3>] shrink_icache_memory+0x293/0x2a0
> [<ffffffff80281632>] ? shrink_slab+0x32/0x220
> [<ffffffff8028172d>] shrink_slab+0x12d/0x220
> [<ffffffff8028202a>] kswapd+0x53a/0x670
> [<ffffffff8027f830>] ? isolate_pages_global+0x0/0x280
> [<ffffffff805a1ada>] ? thread_return+0xa6/0x3bc
> [<ffffffff802513f0>] ? autoremove_wake_function+0x0/0x40
> [<ffffffff80281af0>] ? kswapd+0x0/0x670
> [<ffffffff80251059>] kthread+0x49/0x80
> [<ffffffff8020c878>] child_rip+0xa/0x12
> [<ffffffff8020bf63>] ? restore_args+0x0/0x30
> [<ffffffff80251010>] ? kthread+0x0/0x80
> [<ffffffff8020c86e>] ? child_rip+0x0/0x12
>
> If you're not using PREEMPT_RCU, then I'm stumped for the moment. You'll

2008-06-24 00:14:25

by Zan Lynx

Nick Piggin wrote:
> On Monday 23 June 2008 01:18, Ryan Hope wrote:
>> Well in the current version of the patchset we are using, one user
>> would start playing some game (disabling "Disable Heap Randomization"
>> fixed the hardlocks for him... the other user got hardlocks when
>> copying an ISO from a reiser4 partition to a reiserfs partition
>> (disabling swap fixed the issue for him).
>
> Hmm, nobody has reported such a hang with -mm yet, so maybe it
> is another interaction in the patchset. OTOH, probably nobody
> much uses -mm and reiser4, and reiser4 does lots of weird fiddling
> with pagecache so it could be broken in -mm even.

I have been running and testing -mm with reiser4 for a couple years now.
I haven't been able to run -mm recently because I've been hitting the
copy_user bug Linus fixed for AMD64 but Andrew hasn't updated yet (no
complaints, Andrew) and I'm too lazy to manually patch.

2008-06-24 00:14:40

by Nick Piggin

On Monday 23 June 2008 23:05, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 09:54:52PM +1000, Nick Piggin wrote:
> > On Monday 23 June 2008 13:51, Ryan Hope wrote:
> > > well i get the hardlock on -mm with out using reiser4, i am pretty
> > > sure is swap related
> >
> > The guys seeing hangs don't use PREEMPT_RCU, do they?
> >
> > In my swapping tests, I found -mm3 to be stable with classic RCU, but
> > on a hunch, I tried PREEMPT_RCU and it crashed a couple of times rather
> > quickly. First crash was in find_get_pages so I suspected lockless
> > pagecache doing something subtly wrong with the RCU API, but I just got
> > another crash in __d_lookup:
>
> Could you please send me a repeat-by? (At least Alexey is no longer
> alone!)

OK, I had DEBUG_PAGEALLOC in the .config, which I think is probably
important to reproduce it (but the fact that I'm reproducing oopses
with << PAGE_SIZE objects like dentries and radix tree nodes indicates
that there is even more free-before-grace activity going undetected --
if you construct a test case using full pages, it might become even
easier to detect with DEBUG_PAGEALLOC).

2 socket, 8 core x86 system.

I mounted two tmpfs filesystems, one contains a single large file
which is formatted as 1K block size ext3 and mounted loopback, the
other is used directly. Linux kernel source is unpacked on each mount
and concurrent make -j128 on each. This pushes it pretty hard into
swap. Classic RCU survived another 5 hours of this last night.

But that's a fairly convoluted test for an RCU problem. I expect it
should be easier to trigger with something more targetted...

2008-06-24 15:12:19

by Ryan Hope

Well i tried to run pure -mm this weekend, it locked as soon as I got
into gnome so I applied a couple of the bug fixes from lkml and -mm
seems to be running stable now. I cant seem to get it to hard lock
now, at least not doing the simple stuff that was causing it to hard
lock on my other patchset, either the lockless patches expose some bug
that in -rc6 or lockless requires some other patches further up in the
-mm series file.

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 8:13 PM, Nick Piggin <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Monday 23 June 2008 23:05, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
>> >
>> > The guys seeing hangs don't use PREEMPT_RCU, do they?
>> >
>> > In my swapping tests, I found -mm3 to be stable with classic RCU, but
>> > on a hunch, I tried PREEMPT_RCU and it crashed a couple of times rather
>> > quickly. First crash was in find_get_pages so I suspected lockless
>> > pagecache doing something subtly wrong with the RCU API, but I just got
>> > another crash in __d_lookup:
>>
>> Could you please send me a repeat-by? (At least Alexey is no longer
>> alone!)
>
> OK, I had DEBUG_PAGEALLOC in the .config, which I think is probably
> important to reproduce it (but the fact that I'm reproducing oopses
> with << PAGE_SIZE objects like dentries and radix tree nodes indicates
> that there is even more free-before-grace activity going undetected --
> if you construct a test case using full pages, it might become even
> easier to detect with DEBUG_PAGEALLOC).
>
> 2 socket, 8 core x86 system.
>
> I mounted two tmpfs filesystems, one contains a single large file
> which is formatted as 1K block size ext3 and mounted loopback, the
> other is used directly. Linux kernel source is unpacked on each mount
> and concurrent make -j128 on each. This pushes it pretty hard into
> swap. Classic RCU survived another 5 hours of this last night.
>
> But that's a fairly convoluted test for an RCU problem. I expect it
> should be easier to trigger with something more targetted...

2008-06-24 15:33:18

by Paul E. McKenney

On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 11:12:03AM -0400, Ryan Hope wrote:
> Well i tried to run pure -mm this weekend, it locked as soon as I got
> into gnome so I applied a couple of the bug fixes from lkml and -mm
> seems to be running stable now. I cant seem to get it to hard lock
> now, at least not doing the simple stuff that was causing it to hard
> lock on my other patchset, either the lockless patches expose some bug
> that in -rc6 or lockless requires some other patches further up in the
> -mm series file.

Cool!!! Any guess as to which of the bug fixes did the trick?
Failing that, a list of the bug fixes that you applied?

Thanx, Paul

> On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 8:13 PM, Nick Piggin <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> Could you please send me a repeat-by? (At least Alexey is no longer
> >> alone!)
> >
> > OK, I had DEBUG_PAGEALLOC in the .config, which I think is probably
> > important to reproduce it (but the fact that I'm reproducing oopses
> > with << PAGE_SIZE objects like dentries and radix tree nodes indicates
> > that there is even more free-before-grace activity going undetected --
> > if you construct a test case using full pages, it might become even
> > easier to detect with DEBUG_PAGEALLOC).
> >
> > 2 socket, 8 core x86 system.
> >
> > I mounted two tmpfs filesystems, one contains a single large file
> > which is formatted as 1K block size ext3 and mounted loopback, the
> > other is used directly. Linux kernel source is unpacked on each mount
> > and concurrent make -j128 on each. This pushes it pretty hard into
> > swap. Classic RCU survived another 5 hours of this last night.
> >
> > But that's a fairly convoluted test for an RCU problem. I expect it
> > should be easier to trigger with something more targetted...

2008-06-24 15:57:23

by Ryan Hope

I can give you a list of patches that should correspond to the thread
name (for the most part):

fix-double-unlock_page-in-2626-rc5-mm3-kernel-bug-at-mm-filemapc-575.patch

fix_munlock-page-table-walk.patch

migration_entry_wait-fix.patch

PATCH collect lru meminfo statistics from correct offset

Mlocked field of /proc/meminfo display silly number.
because trivial mistake exist in meminfo_read_proc().

You can also look in our git repo to see the code that changed with
these patches if you cant track them down in LKML:
http://zen-sources.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=kernel-mm.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/lkml

On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 11:32 AM, Paul E. McKenney
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 11:12:03AM -0400, Ryan Hope wrote:
>> Well i tried to run pure -mm this weekend, it locked as soon as I got
>> into gnome so I applied a couple of the bug fixes from lkml and -mm
>> seems to be running stable now. I cant seem to get it to hard lock
>> now, at least not doing the simple stuff that was causing it to hard
>> lock on my other patchset, either the lockless patches expose some bug
>> that in -rc6 or lockless requires some other patches further up in the
>> -mm series file.
>
> Cool!!! Any guess as to which of the bug fixes did the trick?
> Failing that, a list of the bug fixes that you applied?
>
> Thanx, Paul

>> > OK, I had DEBUG_PAGEALLOC in the .config, which I think is probably
>> > important to reproduce it (but the fact that I'm reproducing oopses
>> > with << PAGE_SIZE objects like dentries and radix tree nodes indicates
>> > that there is even more free-before-grace activity going undetected --
>> > if you construct a test case using full pages, it might become even
>> > easier to detect with DEBUG_PAGEALLOC).
>> >
>> > 2 socket, 8 core x86 system.
>> >
>> > I mounted two tmpfs filesystems, one contains a single large file
>> > which is formatted as 1K block size ext3 and mounted loopback, the
>> > other is used directly. Linux kernel source is unpacked on each mount
>> > and concurrent make -j128 on each. This pushes it pretty hard into
>> > swap. Classic RCU survived another 5 hours of this last night.
>> >
>> > But that's a fairly convoluted test for an RCU problem. I expect it
>> > should be easier to trigger with something more targetted...

2008-06-24 16:15:39

by Paul E. McKenney

On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 11:57:05AM -0400, Ryan Hope wrote:
> I can give you a list of patches that should correspond to the thread
> name (for the most part):
>
> fix-double-unlock_page-in-2626-rc5-mm3-kernel-bug-at-mm-filemapc-575.patch
>
> fix_munlock-page-table-walk.patch
>
> migration_entry_wait-fix.patch
>
> PATCH collect lru meminfo statistics from correct offset
>
> Mlocked field of /proc/meminfo display silly number.
> because trivial mistake exist in meminfo_read_proc().
>
> You can also look in our git repo to see the code that changed with
> these patches if you cant track them down in LKML:
> http://zen-sources.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=kernel-mm.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/lkml

Thank you! And is this using Classic RCU or Preemptable RCU?

Thanx, Paul

> On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 11:32 AM, Paul E. McKenney
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 11:12:03AM -0400, Ryan Hope wrote:
> >> Well i tried to run pure -mm this weekend, it locked as soon as I got
> >> into gnome so I applied a couple of the bug fixes from lkml and -mm
> >> seems to be running stable now. I cant seem to get it to hard lock
> >> now, at least not doing the simple stuff that was causing it to hard
> >> lock on my other patchset, either the lockless patches expose some bug
> >> that in -rc6 or lockless requires some other patches further up in the
> >> -mm series file.
> >
> > Cool!!! Any guess as to which of the bug fixes did the trick?
> > Failing that, a list of the bug fixes that you applied?
> >
> > Thanx, Paul

2008-06-24 16:23:55

by Ryan Hope

I have been using CONFIG_PREEMPT_RCU=Y

On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 12:12 PM, Paul E. McKenney
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 11:57:05AM -0400, Ryan Hope wrote:
>> I can give you a list of patches that should correspond to the thread
>> name (for the most part):
>>
>> fix-double-unlock_page-in-2626-rc5-mm3-kernel-bug-at-mm-filemapc-575.patch
>>
>> fix_munlock-page-table-walk.patch
>>
>> migration_entry_wait-fix.patch
>>
>> PATCH collect lru meminfo statistics from correct offset
>>
>> Mlocked field of /proc/meminfo display silly number.
>> because trivial mistake exist in meminfo_read_proc().
>>
>> You can also look in our git repo to see the code that changed with
>> these patches if you cant track them down in LKML:
>> http://zen-sources.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=kernel-mm.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/lkml
>
> Thank you! And is this using Classic RCU or Preemptable RCU?
>
> Thanx, Paul
>
>> On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 11:32 AM, Paul E. McKenney
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>> >
>> > Cool!!! Any guess as to which of the bug fixes did the trick?
>> > Failing that, a list of the bug fixes that you applied?
>> >
>> > Thanx, Paul

2008-06-24 18:01:55

by Ryan Hope

I just a report of someone getting a hardlock while building boost, he
was using classic RCU and no swap.