2008-08-09 20:15:19

by Rene Herman

Subject: Framebuffer drivers that break the boot on systemswithout the hardware

Hi Antonino.

At:

http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/8/1/96

Ingo Molnar posted a list of drivers he found to break the boot during
testing of randconfig kernels and among them are a number of FB drivers:

FB_CIRRUS
FB_ASILIANT
FB_VGA16
FB_VESA
FB_RADEON
FB_CYBLA
(and FB_VIRTUAL)

Looking at some of them there wouldn't seem to be too many very sensible
options to avoid this at the individual driver level. Would you perhaps
have an idea how to avoid the issue generically for these?

More of the drivers in that list will be considered fine as is but I
was fixing some of the old legacy ISA ones as ofcourse any driver not
needing special avoidance treatment is one less to have to deal with.

The randconfig testing IS useful in finding bugs, so...

Rene.

2008-08-09 20:33:22

by Rene Herman

On 09-08-08 22:15, Rene Herman wrote:

> At:
>
> http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/8/1/96
>
> Ingo Molnar posted a list of drivers he found to break the boot during
> testing of randconfig kernels [ ... ]

CONFIG_MDA_CONSOLE is weird. Is that one certain? To have that thing do
anything other than <zilch> it seems to need RAM at 0xb0000 which not
really anything other than an MDA/HGA should be puting there.

Then again, you also had VGA16FB among the breakers. Very decidedly
non-legacy HW or something?

Rene.

2008-08-09 21:20:08

by Frans Pop

Rene Herman wrote:
> Ingo Molnar posted a list of drivers he found to break the boot during
> testing of randconfig kernels and among them are a number of FB drivers:
>
> FB_VESA

This one is set to "y" in the kernel configs for the generic Debian
kernels for i386 and x86_64 and is used by default for the graphical
version of the Debian Installer, so I'd be very surprised if it broke
very many systems...
AFAIK it is only actually enabled if the 'vga=' boot parameter is passed.

Ingo's mail also lists FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE which again is set to "y" in
Debian's standard kernel configs for x86 (and probably most other
arches).

> (and FB_VIRTUAL)

This one should be fixed with 2.6.27-rc1. The commit that fixes it is:
commit b604838ac6d233fd6bffc0e758a818133a01ff22
vfb: only enable if explicitly requested when compiled in

Cheers,
FJP

2008-08-10 21:49:09

by Rene Herman

On 09-08-08 23:19, Frans Pop wrote:

> Rene Herman wrote:

>> Ingo Molnar posted a list of drivers he found to break the boot during
>> testing of randconfig kernels and among them are a number of FB drivers:
>>
>> FB_VESA
>
> This one is set to "y" in the kernel configs for the generic Debian
> kernels for i386 and x86_64 and is used by default for the graphical
> version of the Debian Installer, so I'd be very surprised if it broke
> very many systems...
> AFAIK it is only actually enabled if the 'vga=' boot parameter is passed.
>
> Ingo's mail also lists FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE which again is set to "y" in
> Debian's standard kernel configs for x86 (and probably most other
> arches).

Okay. MDA_CONSOLE was also in there impying RAM at 0xb0000 which might
indicate a gun/foot situation here...

>> (and FB_VIRTUAL)
>
> This one should be fixed with 2.6.27-rc1. The commit that fixes it is:
> commit b604838ac6d233fd6bffc0e758a818133a01ff22
> Author: Frans Pop <[email protected]>
> Date: Wed Jul 23 21:31:26 2008 -0700
> vfb: only enable if explicitly requested when compiled in

Ah, thanks.

Rene.