2020-11-19 22:48:04

by Eric Biggers

Subject: Re: [Patch v2 0/6] Enable Qualcomm Crypto Engine on sdm845

On Thu, Nov 19, 2020 at 10:52:27AM -0500, Thara Gopinath wrote:
> Qualcomm crypto engine supports hardware accelerated algorithms for
> encryption and authentication. Enable support for aes,des,3des encryption
> algorithms and sha1,sha256, hmac(sha1),hmac(sha256) authentication
> algorithms on sdm845.The patch series has been tested using the kernel
> crypto testing module tcrypto.ko.

Can you please test CONFIG_CRYPTO_MANAGER_EXTRA_TESTS=y too? Implementations of
crypto algorithms shouldn't be enabled unless they are passing all tests.

Also, did you compare the performance of this hardware to ARMv8 CE? I thought
that QCE (at least on other SoCs) isn't very useful because ARMv8 CE is faster.

- Eric

2020-11-24 03:39:06

by Thara Gopinath

On 11/19/20 5:44 PM, Eric Biggers wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 19, 2020 at 10:52:27AM -0500, Thara Gopinath wrote:
>> Qualcomm crypto engine supports hardware accelerated algorithms for
>> encryption and authentication. Enable support for aes,des,3des encryption
>> algorithms and sha1,sha256, hmac(sha1),hmac(sha256) authentication
>> algorithms on sdm845.The patch series has been tested using the kernel
>> crypto testing module tcrypto.ko.
>
> Can you please test CONFIG_CRYPTO_MANAGER_EXTRA_TESTS=y too? Implementations of
> crypto algorithms shouldn't be enabled unless they are passing all tests.

Hi Eric,
Yes. I will get around to this probably next week.

> Also, did you compare the performance of this hardware to ARMv8 CE? I thought
> that QCE (at least on other SoCs) isn't very useful because ARMv8 CE is faster.

That is surprising. No I did not compare performance. But I see the
Qualcomm crypto engine driver enabled and used in the downstream tree
for this platform. I see no reason for it not to be in mainline and to
be maintained as an out of tree solution. I will try to run some
performance benchmarks soon.

--
Warm Regards
Thara