2008-11-12 17:36:22

by Stephen Clark

Subject: 2.6.27.2 hda-intel weak sound from speakers

Hi,

I am running linux 2.6.27.2 ontop of a Fedora 8 distro. The sound from the
speakers is barely audible with all the mixer settings at max, this includes
the pulseaudio settings. This is on an ASUS laptop with intel-hda. I ran
alsa-info and the results are at:

http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=7c83d3e5d89101f8e9a0a4aa18cd76f499e02fda

There has been some minor improvement in the volume over the past year I have
had the laptop. I am hoping that someone can identify a way to make the sound
loud enough so I don't have to put my ear by the speakers to hear the sound.

Thank,
Steve

2008-11-12 18:49:59

by Takashi Iwai

Subject: Re: 2.6.27.2 hda-intel weak sound from speakers

At Wed, 12 Nov 2008 12:36:09 -0500,
Stephen Clark wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am running linux 2.6.27.2 ontop of a Fedora 8 distro. The sound from the
> speakers is barely audible with all the mixer settings at max, this includes
> the pulseaudio settings. This is on an ASUS laptop with intel-hda.

Try to pass either model=asus-a7j or model=asus-a7m. One of them may
give a bit better result.

Takashi

2008-11-12 20:17:37

by Stephen Clark

Takashi Iwai wrote:
> At Wed, 12 Nov 2008 12:36:09 -0500,
> Stephen Clark wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am running linux 2.6.27.2 ontop of a Fedora 8 distro. The sound from the
>> speakers is barely audible with all the mixer settings at max, this includes
>> the pulseaudio settings. This is on an ASUS laptop with intel-hda.
>
> Try to pass either model=asus-a7j or model=asus-a7m. One of them may
> give a bit better result.
>

> Takashi

Thanks Takashi, I'll give it a try and report the result - OBTW this is an
ASUS S96F - which was a build to order (Verified By Intel - VBI) laptop - which
corresponds to ASUS Z96F
laptop.

Regards,
Steve

--

"They that give up essential liberty to obtain temporary safety,
deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Ben Franklin)

decreases." (Thomas Jefferson)