2009-03-24 20:51:17

by Renato S. Yamane

Subject: Thinkpad T61 - Fan running a lot of time

Hi,

Anyone have seen fan turned-on in 90% of the time?

I see that fan power-on when processor is up than 45?C and power-off
when is under 45?C.

Temperature difference between 2 cores is 5?C in idle (Core1=45?C and
Core2=40?C)

Local temperature is ~25?C, kpowersave is in "dynamic mode", my 2 cores
(Intel T7500) is running 94% of the time in idle (checked with "top"),
with clock in 800MHz.

The fan speed is ~2600RPM (always under 3000RPM), and I think that is
not enough to cooling the processor, because is necessary 3min to
decrease 1?C in Core1 and only 40sec to increase 1?C.

I think that is necessary a higher fan speed.

I see this in Debian Lenny (2.6.26-1) and 2.6.28.8 kernel... Maybe in
other versions too.

Regards,
Renato

Subject: Re: Thinkpad T61 - Fan running a lot of time

On Tue, 24 Mar 2009, Renato S. Yamane wrote:
> The fan speed is ~2600RPM (always under 3000RPM), and I think that is
> not enough to cooling the processor, because is necessary 3min to
> decrease 1?C in Core1 and only 40sec to increase 1?C.
>
> I think that is necessary a higher fan speed.

Or a better thermal coupling between the fan assembly and the
processor... this is a weak area on thinkpads.

If your box is still under warranty, I suggest you to use
thinkpad-acpi fan control to keep your fan at level 7 (fastest normal
fan level). If that's not enough, call in for a motherboard
replacement.

Henrique Holschuh

2009-03-25 01:02:31

by Renato S. Yamane

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> Renato S. Yamane wrote:
>> The fan speed is ~2600RPM (always under 3000RPM), and I think that is
>> not enough to cooling the processor, because is necessary 3min to
>> decrease 1?C in Core1 and only 40sec to increase 1?C.
>>
>> I think that is necessary a higher fan speed.
>
> Or a better thermal coupling between the fan assembly and the
> processor... this is a weak area on thinkpads.
>
> If your box is still under warranty, I suggest you to use
> thinkpad-acpi fan control to keep your fan at level 7 (fastest normal
> fan level). If that's not enough, call in for a motherboard
> replacement.

Updated BIOS to 7LETC5WW (2.25) and...

Fan speed is stabilished in ~3000RPM, temperature go to 42?C and fan
speed still power-on.

# cat /proc/acpi/ibm/fan
status: enabled
speed: 3028
level: auto

# echo level 7 > /proc/acpi/ibm/fan
bash: echo: write error: Invalid argument

How can I change fan level?

Regards,
Renato

On Tue, 24 Mar 2009, Renato S. Yamane wrote:
> # echo level 7 > /proc/acpi/ibm/fan
> bash: echo: write error: Invalid argument
>
> How can I change fan level?

Read the driver documentation, at Documentation/laptops/thinkpad-acpi.txt.
Fan control is locked by default, for hardware safety reasons. The docs
tell you why, how to use the fan control interface, and how to unlock it.

Also, I suggest you get used to the hwmon fan control interface on /sys,
procfs is going away sooner or later...

Henrique Holschuh