2009-04-03 20:51:19

by Justin P. Mattock

Subject: black screen with 2.6.29 on new imac

I need to find out if somebody else is having
the same issues as me(with the new imac):
latest kernel(2.6.29) loads up without any freezes.
upon startx I receive the lovely nvidia logo,
then nothing. (black screen)

xserver(version)
pulled from git yesterday.

As a simple test running ubuntu intrepid
(alpha version) loads fine with the xf86-nv
as well as the binary. but runs kernel 2.6.27-rc*
(leading me to believe that this has something to
do with 2.6.29; but could be wrong)

any ideas?

--
Justin P. Mattock

2009-04-06 22:16:41

by Brian Maly

Subject: Re: black screen with 2.6.29 on new imac

The 2.6.27 kernel had problems remapping EFI runtime on apple. That was
fixed in 2.6.29-rc8. The 2.6.27 kernel will not boot on this hardware,
it was not an X related issue.

You might try nvidiafb instead of efifb driver and see if that makes a
difference. Im not sure if the X problem is related to the kernel. I
have not tackled the X issues yet.
Hope it helps.

Brian