2009-07-17 00:18:08

by Robert Emanuele

Subject: SDIO Stack and Device Support

Greetings all,

I'm trying to find out more information about the status of an SDIO
stack and SDIO devices in the kernel. I see under drivers/mmc/ some
SDIO support.

I'm evaluating the potential of getting a Wireless SDIO card to work
with the 2.6 kernel. So far all I see in the kernel is support for an
SDIO UART. There is a patch on sourceforge for an SDIO stack and
drivers from Atheros but that is for 2.6.18. Is there current support
for other SDIO wireless devices in the kernel?

Thanks,

Rob

2009-07-17 09:20:05

by Jonathan Cameron

Subject: Re: SDIO Stack and Device Support

Robert Emanuele wrote:
> Greetings all,
>
> I'm trying to find out more information about the status of an SDIO
> stack and SDIO devices in the kernel. I see under drivers/mmc/ some
> SDIO support.
>
> I'm evaluating the potential of getting a Wireless SDIO card to work
> with the 2.6 kernel. So far all I see in the kernel is support for an
> SDIO UART. There is a patch on sourceforge for an SDIO stack and
> drivers from Atheros but that is for 2.6.18. Is there current support
> for other SDIO wireless devices in the kernel?

There is pretty good support for the Marvell chips (sd8686 etc) in the
mainline
kernel. Take a look under drivers/net/wireless/libertas/

I've also copied in the linux-wireless list.

2009-07-17 23:20:56

by Robert Emanuele

This support for these wireless chips in the mainline kernel is great.
Originally I was looking at wireless SDIO cards from Spectec and
Silex. What manufacturers use the libertas/Marvell chipsets in SDIO
Cards? (or are they only available as modules?)

Thank you,

Rob

On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 2:20 AM, Jonathan
Cameron<[email protected]> wrote:
> Robert Emanuele wrote:
>> Greetings all,
>>
>> I'm trying to find out more information about the status of an SDIO
>> stack and SDIO devices in the kernel. ?I see under drivers/mmc/ some
>> SDIO support.
>>
>> I'm evaluating the potential of getting a Wireless SDIO card to work
>> with the 2.6 kernel. ?So far all I see in the kernel is support for an
>> SDIO UART. ?There is a patch on sourceforge for an SDIO stack and
>> drivers from Atheros but that is for 2.6.18. ?Is there current support
>> for other SDIO wireless devices in the kernel?
>>
> There is pretty good support for the Marvell chips (sd8686 etc) in the
> mainline
> kernel. Take a look under drivers/net/wireless/libertas/
>
> I've also copied in the linux-wireless list.

2009-07-21 13:45:43

by Dan Williams

On Fri, 2009-07-17 at 16:20 -0700, Robert Emanuele wrote:
> This support for these wireless chips in the mainline kernel is great.
> Originally I was looking at wireless SDIO cards from Spectec and
> Silex. What manufacturers use the libertas/Marvell chipsets in SDIO
> Cards? (or are they only available as modules?)

Wi2Wi makes SDIO boards based off the 8686. I don't offhand know of
consumer-type dongles or SDIO cards that you can get that contain the
libertas chips, they are usually repackaged as more embedded-type
modules. But if you look around for 8686 or 8385 you can find them.

Dan