2009-12-19 19:21:27

by Oliver Hartkopp

Subject: Also on x86 - was: 2.6.33-rc1: hrtimers and tickless broken on m68knommu.

Hi,

i'm currently checking in LKML why my Dell 830 Laptop is not booting at all
with 2.6.33-rc1 - and i found your thread:

http://lkml.org/lkml/2009/12/18/494

I also use a setup with tickless & hrtimers enabled - but on a x86.

Same behaviour as on your m68knommu box: Just nothing to see ...

Regards,
Oliver

2009-12-19 21:30:31

by Oliver Hartkopp

Oliver Hartkopp wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i'm currently checking in LKML why my Dell 830 Laptop is not booting at all
> with 2.6.33-rc1 - and i found your thread:
>
> http://lkml.org/lkml/2009/12/18/494
>
> I also use a setup with tickless & hrtimers enabled - but on a x86.
>
> Same behaviour as on your m68knommu box: Just nothing to see ...

I tried to dig a little deeper:

After disabling

- TICKLESS
- HRTIMER
- HPET
- SMP

step by step I did not get any improvement on my Laptop :-(

So it's probably not a timer issue on my box.

The latest net-2.6 of Dave Miller is still running well ...

Regards,
Oliver

2009-12-20 08:22:25

by Oliver Hartkopp

Sorry for always answering myself. But to get this issue closed for the readers.

This problem tracked down by Michael Guntsche was also my problem:

http://lkml.org/lkml/2009/12/19/124

By reverting ("kbuild: fix bzImage build for x86")

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=4a2ff67c88211026afcbdbc190c13f705dae1b59

i was able to boot my first 2.6.33-rc1 ...

I'm running a Debian stable/testing here.

Tnx Michael!

Best regards,
Oliver