2009-12-21 22:15:32

by David R

Subject: 2.6.33-rc1 - Weird hard hangs when rendering 'some' web-sites in Firefox

I'm still not sure whether what I'm seeing here is latent hardware
problems, but, as a heads up :-

2.6.32, 2.6.32.2 (and previous kernels) - All OK
2.6.33-rc1 - Machine seems fine, until :-

I browse to particular sites (one of which is an internet banking site,
so no heavy flash etc.). My machine will (completely and repeatably)
hang solid. Nothing showing with netconsole, sshd dead, sysrq dead ...
reset button time.

.config, bootup dmesg, and lspci -vvv attached for interest (userspace
is Ubuntu 9.10).

May have time to bisect, but not 'till the holidays.

Cheers
David

Attachments:
dmesg.bz2 (11.90 kB)
config.bz2 (25.21 kB)
lspci.bz2 (4.08 kB)

by Maciej Rutecki

2009/12/21 David <[email protected]>:
> I'm still not sure whether what I'm seeing here is latent hardware
> problems, but, as a heads up :-
>
>    2.6.32, 2.6.32.2 (and previous kernels) - All OK
>    2.6.33-rc1 - Machine seems fine, until :-
>
> I browse to particular sites (one of which is an internet banking site,
> so no heavy flash etc.). My machine will (completely and repeatably)
> hang solid. Nothing showing with netconsole, sshd dead, sysrq dead ...
> reset button time.
>
> .config, bootup dmesg, and lspci -vvv attached for interest (userspace
> is Ubuntu 9.10).
>
> May have time to bisect, but not 'till the holidays.
>
> Cheers
> David

I can confirm this. Probably it's related only to wireless
connections, wired seems be OK. My device is:
08:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG
[Golan] Network Connection (rev 02)

Maciej Rutecki
http://www.maciek.unixy.pl

2010-01-01 14:03:19

by David R

Maciej Rutecki wrote:
> 2009/12/21 David <[email protected]>:
>
>> I'm still not sure whether what I'm seeing here is latent hardware
>> problems, but, as a heads up :-
>>
>> 2.6.32, 2.6.32.2 (and previous kernels) - All OK
>> 2.6.33-rc1 - Machine seems fine, until :-
>>
>> I browse to particular sites (one of which is an internet banking site,
>> so no heavy flash etc.). My machine will (completely and repeatably)
>> hang solid. Nothing showing with netconsole, sshd dead, sysrq dead ...
>> reset button time.
>>

> I can confirm this. Probably it's related only to wireless
> connections, wired seems be OK. My device is:
> 08:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG
> [Golan] Network Connection (rev 02)
>
> Regards

Mine is a wired connection, so it seems unconnected with that. I've
replaced the motherboard here and have had no further problems. There is
now a configuration difference though as I've had to disable radeon kms
(with radeon.modeset=0) for the new on-board graphics.

My guess is that this is radeon related, and I'm going to set-up the old
motherboard in a spare case & see what I can work out.

Cheers
David

2010-01-01 14:19:50

by Maciej Rutecki

2010/1/1 David <[email protected]>:

> Mine is a wired connection, so it seems unconnected with that. I've
> replaced the motherboard here and have had no further problems. There is
> now a configuration difference though as I've had to disable radeon kms
> (with radeon.modeset=0) for the new on-board graphics.
>
> My guess is that this is radeon related, and I'm going to set-up the old
> motherboard in a spare case & see what I can work out.

I'm not sure. I don't use radeon hardware, only Intel:
cat /boot/config-2.6.33-rc2 | grep -i radeon
# CONFIG_DRM_RADEON is not set
# CONFIG_FB_RADEON is not set

cat /boot/config-2.6.33-rc2 | grep -i kms
CONFIG_DRM_KMS_HELPER=m
# CONFIG_DRM_I915_KMS is not set

Maciej Rutecki
http://www.maciek.unixy.pl

2010-01-01 14:51:14

by David R

Maciej Rutecki wrote:
> 2010/1/1 David <[email protected]>:
>

>> Mine is a wired connection, so it seems unconnected with that. I've
>> replaced the motherboard here and have had no further problems. There is
>> now a configuration difference though as I've had to disable radeon kms
>> (with radeon.modeset=0) for the new on-board graphics.
>>
>> My guess is that this is radeon related, and I'm going to set-up the old
>> motherboard in a spare case & see what I can work out.
>>

> I'm not sure. I don't use radeon hardware, only Intel:
> cat /boot/config-2.6.33-rc2 | grep -i radeon
> # CONFIG_DRM_RADEON is not set
> # CONFIG_FB_RADEON is not set
>
> cat /boot/config-2.6.33-rc2 | grep -i kms
> CONFIG_DRM_KMS_HELPER=m
> # CONFIG_DRM_I915_KMS is not set

The mystery deepens :-) Maybe these are separate issues?

David

2010-01-01 16:08:00

by Maciej Rutecki

2010/1/1 David <[email protected]>:

> The mystery deepens :-) Maybe these are separate issues?

Maybe. I observed big activity LED light from wireless card, when system hangs.

Maciej Rutecki
http://www.maciek.unixy.pl

2010-01-01 16:55:16

by Arvid Picciani

On 01/01/2010 02:40 PM, Maciej Rutecki wrote:
> I can confirm this. Probably it's related only to wireless
> connections, wired seems be OK. My device is:
> 08:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG
> [Golan] Network Connection (rev 02)

i sometimes get a dead system by calling dhclient. (i dont use ff)
Atheros AR9285. happens only wth kms (intel 945G) enabled. Barely
reproduceable. Works with wired connection. This device has no rs232
connector, so i'm a bit out of ideas how to debug it.

--
Arvid

2010-01-01 19:59:37

by David R

David wrote:
> Mine is a wired connection, so it seems unconnected with that. I've
> replaced the motherboard here and have had no further problems. There is
> now a configuration difference though as I've had to disable radeon kms
> (with radeon.modeset=0) for the new on-board graphics.
>
> My guess is that this is radeon related, and I'm going to set-up the old
> motherboard in a spare case & see what I can work out.

I've just done some testing with the old motherboard, and I can
regularly hang the system solid while browsing. Applying
radeon.modeset=0 seems to stabilise it completely (at the cost of not
being able to use compiz).

So my issue is indeed radeon (using a discrete X300 (RV370) card).

Cheers
David