2010-01-05 06:28:16

by Gene Heskett

Subject: 2.6.33 fails to find cpu firmware

Greetings a;;

2.6.33-rc2 isn't terribly stable here, but the first problem is .6 seconds
into the boot, it hangs for 1 minute waiting on the amd cpu firmware, which I
don't believe it ever finds, it just times out and goes on. This machine
runs fairly well without that even for a cold boot.

I assume this is because the root filesystem with /lib/firmware is not yet
available, and that if this file was supplied in the initrd file, this would
go away.

I've studied the manpage for mkinitrd, but the precise option to do this
preload escapes me.

Suggested syntax please if this is in fact a fix for this.

Thanks.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Your processor has taken a ride to Heaven's Gate on the UFO behind Hale-
Bopp's comet.

2010-01-05 22:47:12

by Bill Davidsen

Subject: Re: 2.6.33 fails to find cpu firmware

Gene Heskett wrote:
> Greetings a;;
>
> 2.6.33-rc2 isn't terribly stable here, but the first problem is .6 seconds
> into the boot, it hangs for 1 minute waiting on the amd cpu firmware, which I
> don't believe it ever finds, it just times out and goes on. This machine
> runs fairly well without that even for a cold boot.
>
> I assume this is because the root filesystem with /lib/firmware is not yet
> available, and that if this file was supplied in the initrd file, this would
> go away.
>
> I've studied the manpage for mkinitrd, but the precise option to do this
> preload escapes me.

But the root should be mounted before firmware, I'm looking at my messages log
and everything including swap seems to be there before the firmware loader is
called. That's on a 2.6.31 kernel, but still...

--
Bill Davidsen <[email protected]>