2010-08-19 15:06:42

by Piotr Hosowicz

Subject: Which kernel.org WWW is the master server?

Hello,

I wrote a simple python script that tells me that a new kernel version
appeared. The problem is that it is based exactly on this what appears
on the webpage so sometimes it resolves the server IP that the version
has changed, despite the fact that it is not true. Which server is the
master server?

Cheers,

Piotr Hosowicz

--
- Obiecali zbudowac 3 miliony mieszkan! I nie zbudowali!
- Ale to bardzo dobrze, ze nie zbudowali! Nie od tego jest panstwo!

2010-08-26 13:37:20

by Jiri Kosina

Subject: Re: Which kernel.org WWW is the master server?

On Thu, 19 Aug 2010, Piotr Hosowicz wrote:

> I wrote a simple python script that tells me that a new kernel version
> appeared. The problem is that it is based exactly on this what appears on the
> webpage so sometimes it resolves the server IP that the version has changed,
> despite the fact that it is not true. Which server is the master server?

I guess that simply running

finger @kernel.org

will give you exactly the information you are looking for which much less
pain of connecting to www server, parsing html, etc.

--
Jiri Kosina
SUSE Labs, Novell Inc.

2010-08-26 15:10:15

by Arnd Hannemann

Am 26.08.2010 15:37, schrieb Jiri Kosina:
> On Thu, 19 Aug 2010, Piotr Hosowicz wrote:
>

>> I wrote a simple python script that tells me that a new kernel version
>> appeared. The problem is that it is based exactly on this what appears on the
>> webpage so sometimes it resolves the server IP that the version has changed,
>> despite the fact that it is not true. Which server is the master server?
>>
> I guess that simply running
>
> finger @kernel.org
>
> will give you exactly the information you are looking for which much less
> pain of connecting to www server, parsing html, etc.

Not sure if this is still accurate:

> Aug 21, 2003: Please don't use *finger.kernel.org* for any sort of
> automatic monitoring. The number of automatic bots hitting this port
> is causing the finger daemon to shut down more often than not. The
> same information is available from
> http://www.kernel.org/kdist/finger_banner
> <http://kernel.org/kdist/finger_banner>.

Regards,
Arnd

2010-08-26 15:20:21

by Piotr Hosowicz

On 26.08.2010 17:10, Arnd Hannemann wrote:
> Am 26.08.2010 15:37, schrieb Jiri Kosina:
>> On Thu, 19 Aug 2010, Piotr Hosowicz wrote:
>>

>>> I wrote a simple python script that tells me that a new kernel version
>>> appeared. The problem is that it is based exactly on this what appears on the
>>> webpage so sometimes it resolves the server IP that the version has changed,
>>> despite the fact that it is not true. Which server is the master server?
>>>
>> I guess that simply running
>>
>> finger @kernel.org
>>
>> will give you exactly the information you are looking for which much less
>> pain of connecting to www server, parsing html, etc.
>>

> Not sure if this is still accurate:
>
>> Aug 21, 2003: Please don't use *finger.kernel.org* for any sort of
>> automatic monitoring. The number of automatic bots hitting this port
>> is causing the finger daemon to shut down more often than not. The
>> same information is available from
>> http://www.kernel.org/kdist/finger_banner
>> <http://kernel.org/kdist/finger_banner>.

Moreover it is written as the above.

Regards,

Piotr Hosowicz

--
"Bardzo fajna firma, tylko czasami nie p?aci. Do jej g??wnych
zalet nale??: ekspres ci?nieniowy (ale tylko na jednym z pi?-

2010-08-26 15:37:05

by Randy Dunlap

On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 17:20:13 +0200 Piotr Hosowicz wrote:

> On 26.08.2010 17:10, Arnd Hannemann wrote:

> >> I guess that simply running
> >>
> >> finger @kernel.org
> >>
> >> will give you exactly the information you are looking for which much less
> >> pain of connecting to www server, parsing html, etc.
> >>

> > Not sure if this is still accurate:
> >
> >> Aug 21, 2003: Please don't use *finger.kernel.org* for any sort of
> >> automatic monitoring. The number of automatic bots hitting this port
> >> is causing the finger daemon to shut down more often than not. The
> >> same information is available from
> >> http://www.kernel.org/kdist/finger_banner
> >> <http://kernel.org/kdist/finger_banner>.
>
> Moreover it is written as the above.

I have a script that reads finger_banner then adds mmotm & its base kernel tree,
& linux-next & its base kernel tree to the finger_banner. (It was written
before finger_banner included linux-next info.)

Output today is:

The latest linux-next version of the Linux kernel is: next-20100826
The latest snapshot 2.6 version of the Linux kernel is: 2.6.36-rc2-git4
The latest mainline 2.6 version of the Linux kernel is: 2.6.36-rc2
The latest stable 2.6.35 version of the Linux kernel is: 2.6.35.3
The latest stable 2.6.34 version of the Linux kernel is: 2.6.34.5
The latest stable 2.6.33 version of the Linux kernel is: 2.6.33.7
The latest stable 2.6.32 version of the Linux kernel is: 2.6.32.20
The latest stable 2.6.31 version of the Linux kernel is: 2.6.31.14
The latest stable 2.6.27 version of the Linux kernel is: 2.6.27.52
mmotm-2010-0811-1610 ... applies to: 2.6.35
next-20100826 ... applies to: v2.6.36-rc2

http://www.xenotime.net/linux/scripts/kcurrent

---
~Randy