2011-04-08 14:44:50

by Rob Landley

Subject: OLS 2010 papers finally indexed.

FYI, the individual papers, with their abstracts, are linked from:

http://kernel.org/doc/ols/2010

(Sorry for the delay, I kept hoping Andrew Hutton would get back to me
with final proceedings instead of the "draft" proceedings they posted on
the website, which are missing a half-dozen of the papers it claims to
contain. I've indexed what's there, anyway.)

Rob

2011-04-10 04:57:46

by Cong Wang

Subject: Re: OLS 2010 papers finally indexed.

On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 10:44 PM, Rob Landley <[email protected]> wrote:
> FYI, the individual papers, with their abstracts, are linked from:
>
>  http://kernel.org/doc/ols/2010

Nice work, Rob! Thanks a lot!

2011-04-10 05:59:32

by Rob Landley

On 04/09/2011 11:57 PM, Américo Wang wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 10:44 PM, Rob Landley <[email protected]> wrote:
>> FYI, the individual papers, with their abstracts, are linked from:
>>
>> http://kernel.org/doc/ols/2010
>>

> Nice work, Rob! Thanks a lot!

You're welcome.

I don't suppose anybody knows where the missing papers _are_?

For example, a google search for "Coverage and profiling for realtime
tiny kernels" brought up two legacy organizations that locked the paper
away in a vault and then buried it in a sea trench:

http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1900726.1901172
http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/freeabs_all.jsp?arnumber=5577998

The old "give us money or you'll never see this paper again" tactic.
Why anybody would would want to "publish" their work through a non-funny
variant of the journal of irreproducible results is an open question,
but there you have it. (I love the "downloads 0, citations 0" on the
ACM site. Not-publishing the paper there has been, empirically, 100%
useless, and they provide the stats to prove it.)

Oh well...

Rob

2011-04-10 10:37:32

by Rob Landley

On 04/10/2011 03:26 AM, anish singh wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 11:28 AM, Rob Landley <[email protected]
> <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:
>
> On 04/09/2011 11:57 PM, Américo Wang wrote:
> > On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 10:44 PM, Rob Landley
> <[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:
> >> FYI, the individual papers, with their abstracts, are linked from:
> >>
> >> http://kernel.org/doc/ols/2010
> >>

> > Nice work, Rob! Thanks a lot!
>
> You're welcome.
>
> I don't suppose anybody knows where the missing papers _are_?
>
> For example, a google search for "Coverage and profiling for realtime
> tiny kernels" brought up two legacy organizations that locked the paper
> away in a vault and then buried it in a sea trench:
>
> http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1900726.1901172
> http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/freeabs_all.jsp?arnumber=5577998
>
> Rob just wanted to know if you had contacted the authors of above
> article to publish it in kernel.org <http://kernel.org>?

Not yet, I was still hoping Andrew Hutton would get back to me with the
actual final proceedings. (Presumably they had a final file at some
point go to the printer.)

According to the CFP, OLS papers are freely redistributable:

http://www.linuxsymposium.org/2010/cfp.php

"Authors retain copyright to all submitted papers, but have granted
unlimited redistribution rights to all as a condition of submission."

So mirroring them on kernel.org doesn't require additional permission.
But that's assuming they're sourced from OLS. Sourcing the papers from
somewhere else, I'm not sure it's the same version covered by the same
license, so it's more work for me to confirm that stuff instead of
relying on a blanket license from a single source.

> If you have not then i can contact them (they work in my organisation)
> and would request them to contribute in kernel.org <http://kernel.org>.

Yes please.

Thanks,

Rob

2011-04-10 11:50:51

by Geert Uytterhoeven

On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 12:37, Rob Landley <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 04/10/2011 03:26 AM, anish singh wrote:
>>

>> On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 11:28 AM, Rob Landley <[email protected]
>> <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:
>>
>>     On 04/09/2011 11:57 PM, Américo Wang wrote:
>>     > On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 10:44 PM, Rob Landley
>>     <[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:
>>     >> FYI, the individual papers, with their abstracts, are linked from:
>>     >>
>>     >>  http://kernel.org/doc/ols/2010
>>     >>
>>     >
>>     > Nice work, Rob! Thanks a lot!
>>
>>     You're welcome.
>>
>>     I don't suppose anybody knows where the missing papers _are_?
>>
>>     For example, a google search for "Coverage and profiling for realtime
>>     tiny kernels" brought up two legacy organizations that locked the paper
>>     away in a vault and then buried it in a sea trench:
>>
>>      http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1900726.1901172
>>      http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/freeabs_all.jsp?arnumber=5577998
>>
>> Rob just wanted to know if you had contacted the authors of above
>> article to publish it in kernel.org <http://kernel.org>?
>
> Not yet, I was still hoping Andrew Hutton would get back to me with the
> actual final proceedings.  (Presumably they had a final file at some
> point go to the printer.)

Perhaps it helps putting Andrew in Cc (done)?

> According to the CFP, OLS papers are freely redistributable:
>
>  http://www.linuxsymposium.org/2010/cfp.php
>
>  "Authors retain copyright to all submitted papers, but have granted
>  unlimited redistribution rights to all as a condition of submission."
>
> So mirroring them on kernel.org doesn't require additional permission.
> But that's assuming they're sourced from OLS.  Sourcing the papers from
> somewhere else, I'm not sure it's the same version covered by the same
> license, so it's more work for me to confirm that stuff instead of
> relying on a blanket license from a single source.
>
>> If you have not then i can contact them (they work in my organisation)
>> and would request them to contribute in kernel.org <http://kernel.org>.
>
> Yes please.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 -- [email protected]

                                -- Linus Torvalds