2011-04-13 17:54:44

by Marco Stornelli

Subject: Secure file deletion option question

Hi all,

I don't see any fs implements that feature. The flag FS_SECRM_FL seems
never used with the exception of some define in some fs. Is there a
motivation for this? It seems a good option to me.

Marco

2011-04-13 18:31:15

by Ric Wheeler

Subject: Re: Secure file deletion option question

On 04/13/2011 01:49 PM, Marco Stornelli wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I don't see any fs implements that feature. The flag FS_SECRM_FL seems never
> used with the exception of some define in some fs. Is there a motivation for
> this? It seems a good option to me.
>
> Marco

I think that most secure deletion code is done from user space, which can deal
with odd storage types and so on. Just deleting and overwriting the blocks with
zero data is not sufficient for some needs.

Having user space tools deal with the myriad of ways that it could be done keeps
the policy out of the kernel...

Ric