2006-09-06 18:58:28

by Darren Salt

Subject: Touchpad sometimes detected twice

Sometimes, the touchpad on my (new) laptop is detected twice. This can cause
problems with udev: there may or may not be links in /dev/input/by-*, and if
present, the links may be broken.

Config etc. attached.

| + Buy local produce. Try to walk or cycle. TRANSPORT CAUSES GLOBAL WARMING.

There is always something new out of Africa.

Attachments:
config (13.94 kB)
proc.bus.input.devices (887.00 B)
dmesg (16.10 kB)

by Dmitry Torokhov

Subject: Re: Touchpad sometimes detected twice

On Wednesday 06 September 2006 14:56, Darren Salt wrote:
> Sometimes, the touchpad on my (new) laptop is detected twice. This can cause
> problems with udev: there may or may not be links in /dev/input/by-*, and if
> present, the links may be broken.
>
> Config etc. attached.

Hmm, you could try booting with i8042.nomux. Does this laptop have external
PS/2 ports?

--
Dmitry

2006-09-07 22:14:24

by Darren Salt

I demand that Dmitry Torokhov may or may not have written...

> On Wednesday 06 September 2006 14:56, Darren Salt wrote:
>> Sometimes, the touchpad on my (new) laptop is detected twice. This can
>> cause problems with udev: there may or may not be links in
>> /dev/input/by-*, and if present, the links may be broken.

>> Config etc. attached.

> Hmm, you could try booting with i8042.nomux.

Now tried, and added to the boot command line; so far, the problem hasn't
reappeared.

> Does this laptop have external PS/2 ports?

No.

| + At least 4000 million too many people. POPULATION LEVEL IS UNSUSTAINABLE.

Your most useful program will be continually improved until it is useless.

2006-09-07 23:45:17

by Dmitry Torokhov

On Thursday 07 September 2006 16:33, Darren Salt wrote:
> I demand that Dmitry Torokhov may or may not have written...
>
> > On Wednesday 06 September 2006 14:56, Darren Salt wrote:
> >> Sometimes, the touchpad on my (new) laptop is detected twice. This can
> >> cause problems with udev: there may or may not be links in
> >> /dev/input/by-*, and if present, the links may be broken.
>
> >> Config etc. attached.
>
> > Hmm, you could try booting with i8042.nomux.
>
> Now tried, and added to the boot command line; so far, the problem hasn't
> reappeared.
>
> > Does this laptop have external PS/2 ports?
>
> No.

May I have the output of dmidecode utility so we can blacklist MUX mode
for that particular laptop please?

--
Dmitry

2006-09-08 18:25:53

by Darren Salt

I demand that Dmitry Torokhov may or may not have written...

> On Thursday 07 September 2006 16:33, Darren Salt wrote:
>> I demand that Dmitry Torokhov may or may not have written...
>>> Hmm, you could try booting with i8042.nomux.
>> Now tried, and added to the boot command line; so far, the problem hasn't
>> reappeared.

FWIW, it's still not reappearing. I'm assuming that this workaround is
sufficient.

>>> Does this laptop have external PS/2 ports?
>> No.

> May I have the output of dmidecode utility so we can blacklist MUX mode
> for that particular laptop please?

Vendor = "TOSHIBA"
Model = "EQUIUM A110"

More info is attached, but the above should be enough.

| + Buy less and make it last longer. INDUSTRY CAUSES GLOBAL WARMING.

Hell's broken loose.

Attachments:
dmi.txt (2.15 kB)