2012-05-05 08:54:57

by Sune Mølgaard

Subject: Re: Boot failure since 3.3-rc?

Tilman Schmidt wrote:
> Am 21.04.2012 23:22, schrieb Sune M?lgaard:
>> Need to read up on netconsole as it's a headless machine. Would
>> netconsole work through a switch, or would I need to find a cross-over
>> cable?
>
> Netconsole works fine through a switch.

Thank you. If, as per my last post, the offending commit is instead
about i387, my guess would be that the kernel hangs immediately, way
before init'ing the NIC.

The machine is rather old, but if it has sufficient NVRAM, is there a
way to log failures (perhaps via grub) to there, and then retrieve them
when booting a known good kernel?

Best,

Sune

--
Border relations between Canada and Mexico have never been better.
- G. W. Bush