2012-06-05 06:16:08

by Chris Jones

Subject: Powerpc continued support?

I am just thinking about Powerpc support in the kernel. Are there any
plans to remove its support? And if so, how much space would be saved by
its removal or at least disablement of Powerpc specific modules?

Is it worth looking into this for a custom kernel?

Regards

Chris Jones

--
OpenSUSE Linux x86_64 (PC) | Android (Smartphone) | Windows x86
(Gaming!)
| Digital Imaging Services
Controllers: Logitech Precision | PS3 controller | XB360 controller | Logitech
Attack 3 j/stick
Emulators: Fusion | Gens | ZSNES | Project64 | PCSX-R | Stella | WinVICE | WinUAE

2012-06-05 12:29:27

by Josh Boyer

Subject: Re: Powerpc continued support?

On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 2:15 AM, Chris Jones <[email protected]> wrote:
> I am just thinking about Powerpc support in the kernel. Are there any plans
> to remove its support? And if so, how much space would be saved by its
> removal or at least disablement of Powerpc specific modules?

No plans to remove it at all. It's one of the more active architecture
ports Linux has. Why on earth would it be removed?

> Is it worth looking into this for a custom kernel?

Sure... whatever floats your boat I guess.

josh

2012-06-05 13:40:05

by Chris Jones

Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 2:15 AM, Chris Jones<[email protected]> wrote:
>> I am just thinking about Powerpc support in the kernel. Are there any plans
>> to remove its support? And if so, how much space would be saved by its
>> removal or at least disablement of Powerpc specific modules?
> No plans to remove it at all. It's one of the more active architecture
> ports Linux has. Why on earth would it be removed?
Sure, fair enough. I had no idea it was still so popular. But I can
understand that if there's continued use, then there would be obvious
reasons for continued support of the arch.

>> Is it worth looking into this for a custom kernel?
> Sure... whatever floats your boat I guess.

Something I might look into for custom kernel I suppose.

Regards

Chris Jones

2012-06-05 13:57:04

by Richard Weinberger

On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 3:39 PM, Chris Jones <[email protected]> wrote:
> Sure, fair enough. I had no idea it was still so popular. But I can
> understand that if there's continued use, then there would be obvious
> reasons for continued support of the arch.

PPC is heavily used in embedded devices.

//richard

2012-06-05 14:21:43

by Al Viro

On Tue, Jun 05, 2012 at 11:39:07PM +1000, Chris Jones wrote:
> >>Is it worth looking into this for a custom kernel?
> >Sure... whatever floats your boat I guess.
>
> Something I might look into for custom kernel I suppose.

You do realize that ppc-only modules are not going to be built on
e.g. x86, don't you? Not to mention the arch/powerpc stuff...