2012-06-10 02:04:04

by Chris Jones

Subject: gcc compiler modification to cater for new programming language

Is it possible to modify the source code of gcc to enable to compilation
of a completely new programming language, as yet unrecognized? How much
of a big job would I be looking at for such a task?

Chris Jones

OpenSUSE Linux x86_64 (PC)|Android (Smartphone)|Windows x86 (Gaming!)
Kernel developer|Lead Developer of SDL|Lead Developer of Nest Linux|Gamer and Emulator nut|Web Services|Digital Imaging Services
Controllers: Logitech Precision|PS3 controller|XB360 controller|Logitech Attack 3 j/stick
Emulators: Fusion|Gens|ZSNES|Project64|PCSX-R|Stella|WinVICE|WinUAE

2012-06-10 02:18:44

by Cong Wang

On Sun, Jun 10, 2012 at 10:02 AM, Chris Jones <[email protected]> wrote:
> Is it possible to modify the source code of gcc to enable to compilation of
> a completely new programming language, as yet unrecognized? How much of a
> big job would I be looking at for such a task?

Yeah, you need to write a gcc front-end for it.

But this is totally off-topic in LKML, you need to go to gcc mailing list.

2012-06-10 08:31:35

by el_es

(apologies for total cut of quoting, gmane poster has
one insane limitation...)

WHy does it have to be GCC always ???

http://wiki.freepascal.org/linux/kernel/module_development#Building_kernel_modules_.28for_fun.29_thread

Sadly I stopped at having printk working and never moved forward. But there is
potential, I think.

L.

2012-06-12 07:09:02

by Chris Jones

Cong Wang wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 10, 2012 at 10:02 AM, Chris Jones<[email protected]> wrote:
>> Is it possible to modify the source code of gcc to enable to compilation of
>> a completely new programming language, as yet unrecognized? How much of a
>> big job would I be looking at for such a task?
> Yeah, you need to write a gcc front-end for it.

Why would you suggest writing a front-end for it? I think you're wrong
there as a front-end has nothing to do with the functionality of gcc.
Explain to me why you would suggest this? Curious.

I am aware it is off-topic and have also brought it up on the gcc
mailing list, thanks.

Chris Jones

OpenSUSE Linux x86_64 (PC)|Android (Smartphone)|Windows x86 (Gaming!)
Kernel developer|Lead Developer of SDL|Lead Developer of Nest Linux|Gamer and Emulator nut|Web Services|Digital Imaging Services
Controllers: Rapier V2 Gaming mouse|Logitech Precision|PS3 controller|XB360 controller|Logitech Attack 3 j/stick
Emulators: Fusion|Gens|ZSNES|Project64|PCSX-R|Stella|WinVICE|WinUAE

2012-06-13 11:38:59

by Bernd Petrovitsch

On Die, 2012-06-12 at 17:06 +1000, Chris Jones wrote:
> Cong Wang wrote:
[...]
> > Yeah, you need to write a gcc front-end for it.
>
> Why would you suggest writing a front-end for it? I think you're wrong

Because that's the right thing to do?!

> there as a front-end has nothing to do with the functionality of gcc.
> Explain to me why you would suggest this? Curious.

Get a basic course in compiler-contruction and learn, what "frontend"
and "backend" in a compiler are.
But you could also write a parser which parses the new/other programming
language and produces C which in turn can be compiled a an unpatched
gcc.

> I am aware it is off-topic and have also brought it up on the gcc

Then why are you posting it anyways?

Bernd
--
Bernd Petrovitsch Email : [email protected]
LUGA : http://www.luga.at