2012-06-22 22:26:05

by Chris Jones

Subject: Custom kernel version numbers

Is there a general rule against giving a version number to a custom
kernel if credit is given to the base kernel version?

Chris Jones @ [email protected]

OpenSUSE Linux x86_64 (PC)|Android (Smartphone)|Windows 7 (Laptop)|Windows XP (Gaming)
Kernel developer|Lead Developer of SDL|Lead Developer of Nest Linux|Gamer and Emulator nut|Web Services|Digital Imaging Services
Controllers: Rapier V2 Gaming mouse|Logitech Precision|PS3 controller|XB360 controller|Logitech Attack 3 j/stick
Emulators: Fusion|Gens|ZSNES|Project64|PCSX-R|Stella|WinVICE|WinUAE

2012-06-23 02:55:25

by Greg KH

Subject: Re: Custom kernel version numbers

On Sat, Jun 23, 2012 at 08:25:30AM +1000, Chris Jones wrote:
> Is there a general rule against giving a version number to a custom
> kernel if credit is given to the base kernel version?

You have the code, you can number it however you want.

But, if you want others to have some clue as to what kernel you are
running for whatever reason (support, community help with problems,
etc.) I would recommend using the kernel.org release numbers and adding
onto that like all of the major Linux distros do already.

What were you thinking of numbering your kernel?

greg k-h

2012-06-23 09:24:04

by Chris Jones

Greg KH wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 23, 2012 at 08:25:30AM +1000, Chris Jones wrote:
>> Is there a general rule against giving a version number to a custom
>> kernel if credit is given to the base kernel version?
> You have the code, you can number it however you want.

Would not want to offend anyone. And if I were to do that, I would
always put reference to what base kernel my custom kernel was built upon.

> But, if you want others to have some clue as to what kernel you are
> running for whatever reason (support, community help with problems,
> etc.) I would recommend using the kernel.org release numbers and adding
> onto that like all of the major Linux distros do already.
>
> What were you thinking of numbering your kernel?

I never got that far. Keeping the kernel version and just adding my own
version number to the end might be the way to go.

Cheers

--
Chris Jones @ [email protected]
and [email protected]