2024-03-27 14:59:13

by Eric Valette

Subject: Re: your recently submitted patch to fix BT RIP error shall be applied to 6.6 stable (I have a systematic crash on reboot in 6.6.23)

On 27/03/2024 15:01, Von Dentz, Luiz wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> Then it must have been backported, which is kind of odd given that it was just merged for an -rc release that is still not consider stable, anyway the real culprit might actually be the following:
>
> https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/bluetooth/patch/[email protected]/

Reading the patch, I'm afraid, if I apply the patch bt will then not
work if I reboot which is not what I want (I suspect the firmware is
probably not unloaded when rebooting). Or am I making wrong assumptions?

NB: I may try to be sure...

--eric

> Subject: Re: your recently submitted patch to fix BT RIP error shall be applied to 6.6 stable (I have a systematic crash on reboot in 6.6.23)
>
> On 27/03/2024 14:41, Eric Valette wrote:
>> On 27/03/2024 14:36, Von Dentz, Luiz wrote:
>>> Hi Eric,
>>>
>>> This shouldn't apply to 6.6 kernel, the regression was introduced with:
>>>
>>> commit 711c35949648ba19f54bce27b49ced0ad90b19b9
>>> Author: Luiz Augusto von Dentz <[email protected]>
>>> Date: Tue Jan 9 13:45:40 2024 -0500
>>>
>>> Bluetooth: hci_core: Cancel request on command timeout
>>>
>>> So, you only really need that fix if you were using 6.9-rc1
>>
>> Well I get the same error message and with the fix it works again.
>>
>> Will check the 6.6.22 6.6.23 patch.
>>
>> Could you point me to the problematic patch via adiff that I could
>> easilly check?
>
> Found it. The patch adds the function hci_send_cmd_sync and I have it in
> my 6.6.23 kernel tree.
>
> grep hci_send_cmd_sync net/bluetooth/hci_core.c
> static void hci_send_cmd_sync(struct hci_dev *hdev, struct sk_buff *skb)
> hci_send_cmd_sync(hdev, skb);
>
> more Makefile
> # SPDX-License-Identifier: GPL-2.0
> VERSION = 6
> PATCHLEVEL = 6
> SUBLEVEL = 23
> EXTRAVERSION =
>
> -- eric

2024-03-27 16:37:16

by Eric Valette

On 27/03/2024 15:10, Eric Valette wrote:
> On 27/03/2024 15:01, Von Dentz, Luiz wrote:
>> Hi Eric,
>>
>> Then it must have been backported, which is kind of odd given that it
>> was just merged for an -rc release that is still not consider stable,
>> anyway the real culprit might actually be the following:
>>
>> https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/bluetooth/patch/[email protected]/
>

> Reading the patch, I'm afraid, if I apply the patch bt will then not
> work if I reboot which is not what I want (I suspect  the firmware is
> probably not unloaded when rebooting). Or am I making wrong assumptions?
>
> NB: I may try to be sure...

Only get the first error and bt is still functional. Thanks.

Do not forget to queue the fix for stable.

-- eric