2001-10-02 09:56:09

by DevilKin

Subject: Athlon optimized kernels?

Hello All,

I presume that this has been asked here numerous times before, but I'm on a
rather limited internet connection (besides mail, that is) and well...

I've been hearing a lot here lately about optimized kernels for Athlons. Is
this a kernel patch of some sort? And where can I find it - as I have a
thunderbird system, I would love to try those out and help finding bugs in it!

Thanks

DevilKin

2001-10-02 13:37:49

by Alan

Subject: Re: Athlon optimized kernels?

> I've been hearing a lot here lately about optimized kernels for Athlons. Is
> this a kernel patch of some sort? And where can I find it - as I have a
> thunderbird system, I would love to try those out and help finding bugs in it!

The 2.4 kernels can be built with athlon optimised prefetch and memory
copying. Pretty much all of the athlon related stuff is in Linus tree now
(actually it may even all be there).

Alan

2001-10-02 13:46:59

by Robert Love

On Tue, 2001-10-02 at 05:56, DevilKin wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I presume that this has been asked here numerous times before, but I'm on a
> rather limited internet connection (besides mail, that is) and well...
>
> I've been hearing a lot here lately about optimized kernels for Athlons. Is
> this a kernel patch of some sort? And where can I find it - as I have a
> thunderbird system, I would love to try those out and help finding bugs in
> it!

No, Athlon optimized means you enabled CONFIG_MK7. See `make xconfig'
-> Processor Type and Features -> CPU Type

This enables Athlon-specific features where appropriate, and instructs
gcc to compile for an Athlon CPU.

--
Robert M. Love
rml at ufl.edu