2002-08-10 09:56:30

by Christian Kurz

Subject: modules missing author name and/or description

Hi,

I just played with lsmod and modinfo and noticed that the following
modules which I use either lack one or both of the information I
mentioned in the description. The following modules lack the name of the
author:

lp.o
parport.o
ipt_REJECT.o
ipt_LOG.o
ipt_state.o
ip_conntrack.o
ip_conntrack_ftp.o
iptable_filter.o
ip_tables.o
slhc.o
jbd.o
unix.o (mentioned in a seperate message already)

The following modules lack a description:

lp.o
parport.o
ipt_REJECT.o
ipt_LOG.o
ipt_state.o
ip_conntrack.o
ip_conntrack_ftp.o
iptable_filter.o
iptables.o
agpgart.o
slhc.o
jbd.o
unix.o

I would be nice if these missing informations would be added to the
modules. This result was produced with the 2.4.20-pre1 kernel.

Christian
--
We must learn to live together like brothers,
or we shall die together like fools.

2002-08-10 12:00:27

by Alexander Viro

On Sat, 10 Aug 2002, Christian Kurz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just played with lsmod and modinfo and noticed that the following
> modules which I use either lack one or both of the information I
> mentioned in the description. The following modules lack the name of the
> author:

[snip the list]

Quite a few modules don't _have_ a single author. MODULE_AUTHOR is
optional and very dubious at that - especially since we already have
a common way to put attributions in there; just look at the comments
in the beginning of almost any file in the tree.

2002-08-10 12:16:08

by Anton Altaparmakov

At 13:04 10/08/02, Alexander Viro wrote:
>On Sat, 10 Aug 2002, Christian Kurz wrote:
> > I just played with lsmod and modinfo and noticed that the following
> > modules which I use either lack one or both of the information I
> > mentioned in the description. The following modules lack the name of the
> > author:
>
>[snip the list]
>
>Quite a few modules don't _have_ a single author. MODULE_AUTHOR is
>optional and very dubious at that - especially since we already have
>a common way to put attributions in there; just look at the comments
>in the beginning of almost any file in the tree.

Yes, MODULE_MAINTAINER would be way more useful than MODULE_AUTHOR anyway,
so you know whom to contact about bugs, even when you don't have source
code at hand to lookup MAINTAINERS file... The original author can be long
gone and moved onto other things...

Best regards,

Anton

--
"I've not lost my mind. It's backed up on tape somewhere." - Unknown
--

2002-08-10 12:17:54

by Roman Zippel

Hi,

On Sat, 10 Aug 2002, Alexander Viro wrote:

> Quite a few modules don't _have_ a single author. MODULE_AUTHOR is
> optional and very dubious at that

I agree, because of this I didn't add it to affs. MODULE_MAINTAINER
would be better and more useful.

bye, Roman