2003-06-04 14:38:14

by Margit Schubert-While

Subject: I2C/Sensors 2.5.70

Is anybody looking at getting $Subject working ?
At the moment i2c-sensor.c never gets compiled which is bad as
it contains i2c_detect needed by all the sensors.
And (assuming sensors works) where does the sensor info(fan, temp etc.)
get put?

Margit

2003-06-04 14:54:27

by Martin Schlemmer

Subject: Re: I2C/Sensors 2.5.70

On Wed, 2003-06-04 at 16:51, Margit Schubert-While wrote:
> Is anybody looking at getting $Subject working ?
> At the moment i2c-sensor.c never gets compiled which is bad as
> it contains i2c_detect needed by all the sensors.

Will have to check with Greg here.

> And (assuming sensors works) where does the sensor info(fan, temp etc.)
> get put?

In /sys/bus/i2c/....

Martin Schlemmer

2003-06-04 18:21:35

by Margit Schubert-While

> Martin Schlemmer wrote :
> Will have to check with Greg here.
OK - Has anybody tested/got running I2C/Sensors > 2.5.6x ?

Who's maintaining the 2.5 sensors part ?
Need some info on naming conventions/display units for a port
of lm85 driver (chips lm85(b,c), adm1027, adt7463).
Doc is a wee bit out of date :-)

Margit

2003-06-04 18:42:02

by Jan Dittmer

Look in -mm, Documentation/i2c/sysfs-interface.
Mainline seems to have lost this...
Greg KH is the Maintainer, though I wrote the via686a driver.

Jan

Margit Schubert-While wrote:
> > Martin Schlemmer wrote :
> > Will have to check with Greg here.
> OK - Has anybody tested/got running I2C/Sensors > 2.5.6x ?
>
> Who's maintaining the 2.5 sensors part ?
> Need some info on naming conventions/display units for a port
> of lm85 driver (chips lm85(b,c), adm1027, adt7463).
> Doc is a wee bit out of date :-)
>
> Margit
>
> -

by Greg KH

On Wed, Jun 04, 2003 at 04:51:30PM +0200, Margit Schubert-While wrote:
> Is anybody looking at getting $Subject working ?

Works for me :)

> At the moment i2c-sensor.c never gets compiled which is bad as
> it contains i2c_detect needed by all the sensors.

What is your .config? Are you sure you have selected a i2c chip driver?

> And (assuming sensors works) where does the sensor info(fan, temp etc.)
> get put?

In sysfs. Look at Documentation/i2c/sysfs-interface for more
information on the different files and values.

thanks,

greg k-h

2003-06-04 18:51:47

by Greg KH

On Wed, Jun 04, 2003 at 08:54:01PM +0200, Jan Dittmer wrote:
> Look in -mm, Documentation/i2c/sysfs-interface.
> Mainline seems to have lost this...

Looks like it's there to me. Are you sure it's gone?

thanks,

greg k-h

2003-06-04 19:06:43

by Jan Dittmer

Greg KH wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 04, 2003 at 08:54:01PM +0200, Jan Dittmer wrote:
>
>>Look in -mm, Documentation/i2c/sysfs-interface.
>>Mainline seems to have lost this...
>

> Looks like it's there to me. Are you sure it's gone?

Indeed it is. Must have been a bit fast... :)

Jan

2003-06-04 19:25:02

by Margit Schubert-While

> What is your .config? Are you sure you have selected a i2c chip driver?

Look at this line in the Makefile :
obj-$(CONFIG_I2C_SENSOR) += i2c-sensor.o

There is no sign of CONFIG_I2C_SENSOR anywhere.

Margit

2003-06-04 20:01:01

by Jordan Breeding

Check at the bottom of this page:
http://linus.bkbits.net:8080/linux-2.5/anno/drivers/i2c/chips/[email protected]?nav=index.html|src/|src/drivers|src/drivers/i2c|src/drivers/i2c/chips

2.5.x should be setting it for you if you have in fact
selected an i2c chip.

Jordan

--- Margit Schubert-While <[email protected]>
wrote:
> > What is your .config? Are you sure you have
> selected a i2c chip driver?
>
> Look at this line in the Makefile :
> obj-$(CONFIG_I2C_SENSOR) += i2c-sensor.o
>
> There is no sign of CONFIG_I2C_SENSOR anywhere.
>
> Margit
>
> -
> "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
> More majordomo info at

by Margit Schubert-While

> Check at the bottom of this page:
Indeed (kicks self).
So, to test a new external driver, I have to select an existing one.
Seems a bit restrictive.
I think it should be selectable in I2C (builtin/module) and cross-checked
in sensors.

Margit