2001-04-05 01:32:34

by Carey B. Stortz

Subject: Signal Handling Performance?

I am doing a research project on Linux kernel performance starting with the
2.0.1 kernel through the 2.4.0 kernel. I ran across something very
interesting when running LMBench and reviewing the results. The performance
of Signal Handling has decreased while every other area has either stayed
the same or had a performance increase. A general decrease started around
kernel 2.1.32, then performance drastically fell at kernel 2.3.20. There is
an Excel graph which shows the trend at:

http://euclid.nmu.edu/~benchmark/Carey/signalhandling.gif

I was wondering if anybody had any ideas why this is happening, and what
happened in kernel 2.3.20 to cause such a decrease in performance?

Thanks for your time
Carey Stortz

2001-04-05 01:44:35

by Christopher Smith

Subject: Re: Signal Handling Performance?

--On Wednesday, April 04, 2001 21:30:51 -0400 "Carey B. Stortz"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> either stayed the same or had a performance increase. A general decrease
> started around kernel 2.1.32, then performance drastically fell at kernel
> 2.3.20. There is an Excel graph which shows the trend at:
>
> http://euclid.nmu.edu/~benchmark/Carey/signalhandling.gif
>
> I was wondering if anybody had any ideas why this is happening, and what
> happened in kernel 2.3.20 to cause such a decrease in performance?

Lies, damn lies, and benchmarks. ;-) Seriously though, I'm not clear on
what you are measuring or how you are measuring it. It looks like this is
measuring signal latency, which is important, but what about thoroughput?

--Chris