2015-05-20 14:32:00

by Martin Steigerwald

Subject: [REGRESSION] 4.1-rc4: Sound muted after boot

Hello!

On ThinkPad T520 (Intel Sandybridge) with 4.14-rc4 + two BTRFS patches and
one Intel P-State debug patch I have no sound output on internal Intel HD
audio codec.

According to ThinkPad T520 LED with striked-through speaker the loud speaker
is in disabled state. Also KDE?s Phonon says a soundcard is missing. In
alsa-mixer I see nothing as MM for muted. If I press the key next to the LED
I get a notification on the desktop that loud speaker has been enabled /
disabled, but the LED still is on for it being disabled.

I do not hear anything in Amarok or with aplay. alsa-mixer sound volumes are
100 for master and PCM. I also tried with disabling "Auto-Mute Mod", but
still no sound.

When I reboot and in BIOS or GRUB press the key then the LED toggles state.

When I reboot into Linux 4.0.1 sound is working fine and loud speaker
disabled LED is toggled off, so I bet this is a regression 4.1-rc4 compared
to 4.0.1.

The following is from non-working 4.1-rc4 kernel:

merkaba:~> lspci -s 00:1b.0 -nnv
00:1b.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset
Family High Definition Audio Controller [8086:1c20] (rev 04)
Subsystem: Lenovo Device [17aa:21cf]
Memory at f2520000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
Capabilities: [60] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
Capabilities: [70] Express Root Complex Integrated Endpoint, MSI 00
Capabilities: [100] Virtual Channel
Capabilities: [130] Root Complex Link
Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel

merkaba:~> cat /proc/asound/cards
0 [PCH ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel PCH
HDA Intel PCH at 0xf2520000 irq 29
merkaba:~> cat /proc/asound/version
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version k4.1.0-rc4-tp520-btrfstrim-
pstatetrace+.
merkaba:~> cat /proc/asound/devices
2: [ 0] : control
3: [ 0- 0]: digital audio playback
4: [ 0- 0]: digital audio capture
5: [ 0- 3]: digital audio playback
6: [ 0- 7]: digital audio playback
7: [ 0- 8]: digital audio playback
8: [ 0- 0]: hardware dependent
9: [ 0- 1]: hardware dependent
10: [ 0- 3]: hardware dependent
33: : timer
merkaba:~>

merkaba:~> aplay -L
null
pulse
PulseAudio Sound Server
phonon
HDA Intel PCH mit Mixer
default:CARD=PCH
HDA Intel PCH, CX20590 Analog
Default Audio Device
sysdefault:CARD=PCH
HDA Intel PCH, CX20590 Analog
front:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
HDA Intel PCH, CX20590 Analog
Front speakers
surround21:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
HDA Intel PCH, CX20590 Analog
2.1 Surround output to Front and Subwoofer speakers
surround40:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
HDA Intel PCH, CX20590 Analog
surround41:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
HDA Intel PCH, CX20590 Analog
surround50:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
HDA Intel PCH, CX20590 Analog
surround51:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
HDA Intel PCH, CX20590 Analog
surround71:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
HDA Intel PCH, CX20590 Analog
hdmi:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
HDA Intel PCH, HDMI 0
HDMI Audio Output
hdmi:CARD=PCH,DEV=1
HDA Intel PCH, HDMI 1
HDMI Audio Output
hdmi:CARD=PCH,DEV=2
HDA Intel PCH, HDMI 2
HDMI Audio Output
dmix:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
HDA Intel PCH, CX20590 Analog
Direct sample mixing device
dmix:CARD=PCH,DEV=3
HDA Intel PCH, HDMI 0
Direct sample mixing device
dmix:CARD=PCH,DEV=7
HDA Intel PCH, HDMI 1
Direct sample mixing device
dmix:CARD=PCH,DEV=8
HDA Intel PCH, HDMI 2
Direct sample mixing device
dsnoop:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
HDA Intel PCH, CX20590 Analog
Direct sample snooping device
dsnoop:CARD=PCH,DEV=3
HDA Intel PCH, HDMI 0
Direct sample snooping device
dsnoop:CARD=PCH,DEV=7
HDA Intel PCH, HDMI 1
Direct sample snooping device
dsnoop:CARD=PCH,DEV=8
HDA Intel PCH, HDMI 2
Direct sample snooping device
hw:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
HDA Intel PCH, CX20590 Analog
Direct hardware device without any conversions
hw:CARD=PCH,DEV=3
HDA Intel PCH, HDMI 0
Direct hardware device without any conversions
hw:CARD=PCH,DEV=7
HDA Intel PCH, HDMI 1
Direct hardware device without any conversions
hw:CARD=PCH,DEV=8
HDA Intel PCH, HDMI 2
Direct hardware device without any conversions
plughw:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
HDA Intel PCH, CX20590 Analog
Hardware device with all software conversions
plughw:CARD=PCH,DEV=3
HDA Intel PCH, HDMI 0
Hardware device with all software conversions
plughw:CARD=PCH,DEV=7
HDA Intel PCH, HDMI 1
Hardware device with all software conversions
plughw:CARD=PCH,DEV=8
HDA Intel PCH, HDMI 2
Hardware device with all software conversions

Ciao,

by Takashi Iwai

Subject: Re: [REGRESSION] 4.1-rc4: Sound muted after boot

At Wed, 20 May 2015 16:31:55 +0200,
Martin Steigerwald wrote:

> Hello!
>
> On ThinkPad T520 (Intel Sandybridge) with 4.14-rc4 + two BTRFS patches and
> one Intel P-State debug patch I have no sound output on internal Intel HD
> audio codec.
>
> According to ThinkPad T520 LED with striked-through speaker the loud speaker
> is in disabled state. Also KDE´s Phonon says a soundcard is missing. In
> alsa-mixer I see nothing as MM for muted. If I press the key next to the LED
> I get a notification on the desktop that loud speaker has been enabled /
> disabled, but the LED still is on for it being disabled.
>
> I do not hear anything in Amarok or with aplay. alsa-mixer sound volumes are
> 100 for master and PCM. I also tried with disabling "Auto-Mute Mod", but
> still no sound.
>
> When I reboot and in BIOS or GRUB press the key then the LED toggles state.
>
> When I reboot into Linux 4.0.1 sound is working fine and loud speaker
> disabled LED is toggled off, so I bet this is a regression 4.1-rc4 compared
> to 4.0.1.

Please run alsa-info.sh at both working and non-working cases (with
old and new kernels), and attach the outputs. Run the script with
--no-upload option.

Also, such a problem is rather the device permissions problem.
Check the device permissions of /dev/snd/* files (also check getfacl
/dev/snd/*, too).

Takashi

2015-05-21 08:54:40

by Martin Steigerwald

Am Donnerstag, 21. Mai 2015, 06:28:24 schrieb Takashi Iwai:
> At Wed, 20 May 2015 16:31:55 +0200,
>
> Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > On ThinkPad T520 (Intel Sandybridge) with 4.14-rc4 + two BTRFS patches
> > and one Intel P-State debug patch I have no sound output on internal
> > Intel HD audio codec.
> >
> > According to ThinkPad T520 LED with striked-through speaker the loud
> > speaker is in disabled state. Also KDE?s Phonon says a soundcard is
> > missing. In alsa-mixer I see nothing as MM for muted. If I press the
> > key next to the LED I get a notification on the desktop that loud
> > speaker has been enabled / disabled, but the LED still is on for it
> > being disabled.
> >
> > I do not hear anything in Amarok or with aplay. alsa-mixer sound volumes
> > are 100 for master and PCM. I also tried with disabling "Auto-Mute
> > Mod", but still no sound.
> >
> > When I reboot and in BIOS or GRUB press the key then the LED toggles
> > state.
> >
> > When I reboot into Linux 4.0.1 sound is working fine and loud speaker
> > disabled LED is toggled off, so I bet this is a regression 4.1-rc4
> > compared to 4.0.1.
>
> Please run alsa-info.sh at both working and non-working cases (with
> old and new kernels), and attach the outputs. Run the script with
> --no-upload option.

All attached.

I also have full dmesg outputs available in case it is needed.

> Also, such a problem is rather the device permissions problem.
> Check the device permissions of /dev/snd/* files (also check getfacl
> /dev/snd/*, too).

If its a permissions problem, why does it happen with 4.1-rc4, but not with
4.0.1 oder any earlier kernels?

alsa-info.txt.ursyqnYmTQ-4.1rc4-muted.txt (36.66 kB)
alsa-info.txt.tQczbEsAxk-4.0.1-working.txt (36.84 kB)
setfacl-4.0.1-working.txt (2.16 kB)
setfacl-4.1-rc4-muted.txt (2.16 kB)

by Martin Steigerwald

Am Donnerstag, 21. Mai 2015, 06:28:24 schrieb Takashi Iwai:
> At Wed, 20 May 2015 16:31:55 +0200,
>
> Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > On ThinkPad T520 (Intel Sandybridge) with 4.14-rc4 + two BTRFS patches
> > and one Intel P-State debug patch I have no sound output on internal
> > Intel HD audio codec.
> >
> > According to ThinkPad T520 LED with striked-through speaker the loud
> > speaker is in disabled state. Also KDE´s Phonon says a soundcard is
> > missing. In alsa-mixer I see nothing as MM for muted. If I press the
> > key next to the LED I get a notification on the desktop that loud
> > speaker has been enabled / disabled, but the LED still is on for it
> > being disabled.

One clarification: Phonon still seems to see a sound card… but it reports a
change to the list of soundcards.

And another observation: The speaker disable LED is switched on KDE/Plasma
4.14.2 session startup, I just rebooted to 4.1-rc4 after I gathered debug
output of 4.0.1, and there on boot the speaker disable LED was off during
boot.

So there seems Phonon is confused about some difference in ALSA between these
two kernel versions and probably doesn´t fully find the sound card or mutes
it, but on the other hand I can´t see it in alsa-mixer as muted.

And alsa-mixer still finds the internal sound.

Also this does not happen for external USB JBL Pebbles speakers (excellent
ones!) at home, sound just works with 4.1-rc4 with these.

I am now on 4.1-rc4 again so could try to dig out more what KDE Phonon sees
as a difference. In trainings breaks. Now need to continue with the course I
hold.

Phonon runs without PulseAudio here, cause PulseAudio creates additional
issues with sound. Okay, this is the message I get:

KDE hat festgestellt, dass eines oder mehrere interne Geräte entfernt
wurden.
Soll KDE die Informationen zu diesen Geräten dauerhaft löschen?
Dies ist die Liste der Geräte, die entfernt werden können:
Aufnahme: HDA Intel PCH (CX20590 Analog)
Wiedergabe: HDA Intel PCH (CX20590 Analog)

Which means: KDE has found that one or more internal devices were removed.

So it seems KDE really does not find the sound card anymore, while alsa-mixer
finds it, yet, also aplay does not produce any sound.

But then I still have a "HDA Intel PCH (CX20590 Analog)" in systemsettings
for Phonon. There is one greyed out and another one which is not greyed out,
but does not produce any sound on clicking the test button either.

> > I do not hear anything in Amarok or with aplay. alsa-mixer sound volumes
> > are 100 for master and PCM. I also tried with disabling "Auto-Mute
> > Mod", but still no sound.
> >
> > When I reboot and in BIOS or GRUB press the key then the LED toggles
> > state.
> >
> > When I reboot into Linux 4.0.1 sound is working fine and loud speaker
> > disabled LED is toggled off, so I bet this is a regression 4.1-rc4
> > compared to 4.0.1.
>
> Please run alsa-info.sh at both working and non-working cases (with
> old and new kernels), and attach the outputs. Run the script with
> --no-upload option.

I sent a separate mail with these already.

> Also, such a problem is rather the device permissions problem.
> Check the device permissions of /dev/snd/* files (also check getfacl
> /dev/snd/*, too).

by Takashi Iwai

At Thu, 21 May 2015 10:53:46 +0200,
Martin Steigerwald wrote:

> Am Donnerstag, 21. Mai 2015, 06:28:24 schrieb Takashi Iwai:
> > At Wed, 20 May 2015 16:31:55 +0200,
> >
> > Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > > Hello!
> > >
> > > On ThinkPad T520 (Intel Sandybridge) with 4.14-rc4 + two BTRFS patches
> > > and one Intel P-State debug patch I have no sound output on internal
> > > Intel HD audio codec.
> > >
> > > According to ThinkPad T520 LED with striked-through speaker the loud
> > > speaker is in disabled state. Also KDE´s Phonon says a soundcard is
> > > missing. In alsa-mixer I see nothing as MM for muted. If I press the
> > > key next to the LED I get a notification on the desktop that loud
> > > speaker has been enabled / disabled, but the LED still is on for it
> > > being disabled.
> > >
> > > I do not hear anything in Amarok or with aplay. alsa-mixer sound volumes
> > > are 100 for master and PCM. I also tried with disabling "Auto-Mute
> > > Mod", but still no sound.
> > >
> > > When I reboot and in BIOS or GRUB press the key then the LED toggles
> > > state.
> > >
> > > When I reboot into Linux 4.0.1 sound is working fine and loud speaker
> > > disabled LED is toggled off, so I bet this is a regression 4.1-rc4
> > > compared to 4.0.1.
> >
> > Please run alsa-info.sh at both working and non-working cases (with
> > old and new kernels), and attach the outputs. Run the script with
> > --no-upload option.
>
> All attached.
>
> I also have full dmesg outputs available in case it is needed.
>
> > Also, such a problem is rather the device permissions problem.
> > Check the device permissions of /dev/snd/* files (also check getfacl
> > /dev/snd/*, too).
>
> If its a permissions problem, why does it happen with 4.1-rc4, but not with
> 4.0.1 oder any earlier kernels?

I wanted to mean it's rather "often" a permission problem. Not
necessarily your case, but still worth to check.

The mute LED behavior change is because of the new control added
recently. You seem to have changed the value to "On" while the
default should be "Follow Master". This explains the difference of
behavior from 4.0. It's no regression but manual misconfiguration by
user. In this mode, LED has no connection with the sound output at
all.

Other than that, no different is seen in the hardware level. The
codec registers show all same values. That is, from the driver POV,
the sound should work. (Though, you set "Disabled" to "Auto-Mute
Mode" control which looks rather weird.)

So, revert "Mute-LED Mode" control to "Follow Master". It can be done
via alsamixer, amixer or whatever. Then check whether the sound
works again. Check also from the headphone, too.

Takashi

2015-05-21 09:19:08

by Takashi Iwai

At Thu, 21 May 2015 11:08:36 +0200,
Martin Steigerwald wrote:

> Am Donnerstag, 21. Mai 2015, 06:28:24 schrieb Takashi Iwai:
> > At Wed, 20 May 2015 16:31:55 +0200,
> >
> > Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > > Hello!
> > >
> > > On ThinkPad T520 (Intel Sandybridge) with 4.14-rc4 + two BTRFS patches
> > > and one Intel P-State debug patch I have no sound output on internal
> > > Intel HD audio codec.
> > >
> > > According to ThinkPad T520 LED with striked-through speaker the loud
> > > speaker is in disabled state. Also KDE´s Phonon says a soundcard is
> > > missing. In alsa-mixer I see nothing as MM for muted. If I press the
> > > key next to the LED I get a notification on the desktop that loud
> > > speaker has been enabled / disabled, but the LED still is on for it
> > > being disabled.
>
> One clarification: Phonon still seems to see a sound card… but it reports a
> change to the list of soundcards.
>
> And another observation: The speaker disable LED is switched on KDE/Plasma
> 4.14.2 session startup, I just rebooted to 4.1-rc4 after I gathered debug
> output of 4.0.1, and there on boot the speaker disable LED was off during
> boot.
>
> So there seems Phonon is confused about some difference in ALSA between these
> two kernel versions and probably doesn´t fully find the sound card or mutes
> it, but on the other hand I can´t see it in alsa-mixer as muted.
>
> And alsa-mixer still finds the internal sound.
>
> Also this does not happen for external USB JBL Pebbles speakers (excellent
> ones!) at home, sound just works with 4.1-rc4 with these.
>
> I am now on 4.1-rc4 again so could try to dig out more what KDE Phonon sees
> as a difference. In trainings breaks. Now need to continue with the course I
> hold.
>
> Phonon runs without PulseAudio here, cause PulseAudio creates additional
> issues with sound. Okay, this is the message I get:
>
> KDE hat festgestellt, dass eines oder mehrere interne Geräte entfernt
> wurden.
> Soll KDE die Informationen zu diesen Geräten dauerhaft löschen?
> Dies ist die Liste der Geräte, die entfernt werden können:
> Aufnahme: HDA Intel PCH (CX20590 Analog)
> Wiedergabe: HDA Intel PCH (CX20590 Analog)
>
> Which means: KDE has found that one or more internal devices were removed.
>
> So it seems KDE really does not find the sound card anymore, while alsa-mixer
> finds it, yet, also aplay does not produce any sound.
>
> But then I still have a "HDA Intel PCH (CX20590 Analog)" in systemsettings
> for Phonon. There is one greyed out and another one which is not greyed out,
> but does not produce any sound on clicking the test button either.

All of these sound like a problem with Phonon. There is no change in
the interface and device names of your board between 4.0 and 4.1 in
the kernel level. You can compare alsa-info.sh outputs.

Takashi

2015-05-21 09:52:14

by Martin Steigerwald

Am Donnerstag, 21. Mai 2015, 11:16:24 schrieb Takashi Iwai:
> At Thu, 21 May 2015 10:53:46 +0200,
>
> Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > Am Donnerstag, 21. Mai 2015, 06:28:24 schrieb Takashi Iwai:

> > > Please run alsa-info.sh at both working and non-working cases (with
> > > old and new kernels), and attach the outputs. Run the script with
> > > --no-upload option.
> >
> > All attached.
> >
> > I also have full dmesg outputs available in case it is needed.
> >
> > > Also, such a problem is rather the device permissions problem.
> > > Check the device permissions of /dev/snd/* files (also check getfacl
> > > /dev/snd/*, too).
> >
> > If its a permissions problem, why does it happen with 4.1-rc4, but not
> > with 4.0.1 oder any earlier kernels?
>
> I wanted to mean it's rather "often" a permission problem. Not
> necessarily your case, but still worth to check.
>
> The mute LED behavior change is because of the new control added
> recently. You seem to have changed the value to "On" while the
> default should be "Follow Master". This explains the difference of
> behavior from 4.0. It's no regression but manual misconfiguration by
> user. In this mode, LED has no connection with the sound output at
> all.

I didn?t change ALSA configuration on upgrade from 4.0 to 4.1. Can it be it
picked "On" as default? Cause I certainly didn?t touch this. Unless it could
have been changed on earlier kernels as well. Well then it could be, cause
there have been times I tried to set stuff in ALSA for various reasons, but
quite some time ago.

I only changed "Auto-Mute Mod" to "disabled" as I tried to debug the muting
issue, but other than that I didn?t change

> Other than that, no different is seen in the hardware level. The
> codec registers show all same values. That is, from the driver POV,
> the sound should work. (Though, you set "Disabled" to "Auto-Mute
> Mode" control which looks rather weird.)
>
> So, revert "Mute-LED Mode" control to "Follow Master". It can be done
> via alsamixer, amixer or whatever. Then check whether the sound
> works again. Check also from the headphone, too.

That works. Thank you. Headphone I will check later.

Ciao,

by Takashi Iwai

At Thu, 21 May 2015 11:52:08 +0200,
Martin Steigerwald wrote:

> Am Donnerstag, 21. Mai 2015, 11:16:24 schrieb Takashi Iwai:
> > At Thu, 21 May 2015 10:53:46 +0200,
> >
> > Martin Steigerwald wrote:

> > > All attached.
> > >
> > > I also have full dmesg outputs available in case it is needed.

> > > If its a permissions problem, why does it happen with 4.1-rc4, but not
> > > with 4.0.1 oder any earlier kernels?
> >
> > I wanted to mean it's rather "often" a permission problem. Not
> > necessarily your case, but still worth to check.
> >
> > The mute LED behavior change is because of the new control added
> > recently. You seem to have changed the value to "On" while the
> > default should be "Follow Master". This explains the difference of
> > behavior from 4.0. It's no regression but manual misconfiguration by
> > user. In this mode, LED has no connection with the sound output at
> > all.
>
> I didn´t change ALSA configuration on upgrade from 4.0 to 4.1. Can it be it
> picked "On" as default?

It shouldn't. The default is "follow master".
Might it be changed by kmix or such...?

> Cause I certainly didn´t touch this. Unless it could
> have been changed on earlier kernels as well. Well then it could be, cause
> there have been times I tried to set stuff in ALSA for various reasons, but
> quite some time ago.
>
> I only changed "Auto-Mute Mod" to "disabled" as I tried to debug the muting
> issue, but other than that I didn´t change

OK.

> > Other than that, no different is seen in the hardware level. The
> > codec registers show all same values. That is, from the driver POV,
> > the sound should work. (Though, you set "Disabled" to "Auto-Mute
> > Mode" control which looks rather weird.)
> >
> > So, revert "Mute-LED Mode" control to "Follow Master". It can be done
> > via alsamixer, amixer or whatever. Then check whether the sound
> > works again. Check also from the headphone, too.
>
> That works. Thank you. Headphone I will check later.

Interesting. Could you confirm that changing "Mute-LED Mode" really
mutes the output, not only changing the LED? This control was
supposed to behave independently from the sound output.

thanks,

Takashi

2015-05-21 11:23:59

by Martin Steigerwald

Am Donnerstag, 21. Mai 2015, 12:07:30 schrieb Takashi Iwai:
> At Thu, 21 May 2015 11:52:08 +0200,
>
> Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > Am Donnerstag, 21. Mai 2015, 11:16:24 schrieb Takashi Iwai:

> > > I wanted to mean it's rather "often" a permission problem. Not
> > > necessarily your case, but still worth to check.
> > >
> > > The mute LED behavior change is because of the new control added
> > > recently. You seem to have changed the value to "On" while the
> > > default should be "Follow Master". This explains the difference of
> > > behavior from 4.0. It's no regression but manual misconfiguration by
> > > user. In this mode, LED has no connection with the sound output at
> > > all.
> >
> > I didn?t change ALSA configuration on upgrade from 4.0 to 4.1. Can it be
> > it picked "On" as default?
>
> It shouldn't. The default is "follow master".
> Might it be changed by kmix or such...?

I don?t know, but in my KMix setup the Mute-LED Mode is not within the
displayed channels, but on available channels, so I didn?t see this.

> > > Other than that, no different is seen in the hardware level. The
> > > codec registers show all same values. That is, from the driver POV,
> > > the sound should work. (Though, you set "Disabled" to "Auto-Mute
> > > Mode" control which looks rather weird.)
> > >
> > > So, revert "Mute-LED Mode" control to "Follow Master". It can be done
> > > via alsamixer, amixer or whatever. Then check whether the sound
> > > works again. Check also from the headphone, too.
> >
> > That works. Thank you. Headphone I will check later.
>
> Interesting. Could you confirm that changing "Mute-LED Mode" really
> mutes the output, not only changing the LED? This control was
> supposed to behave independently from the sound output.

When I set it back to "On" again output is muted. On setting "Off" or "Follow
master" I can hear sound.

by Takashi Iwai

At Thu, 21 May 2015 13:23:54 +0200,
Martin Steigerwald wrote:

> Am Donnerstag, 21. Mai 2015, 12:07:30 schrieb Takashi Iwai:
> > At Thu, 21 May 2015 11:52:08 +0200,
> >
> > Martin Steigerwald wrote:

> > > I didn´t change ALSA configuration on upgrade from 4.0 to 4.1. Can it be
> > > it picked "On" as default?
> >
> > It shouldn't. The default is "follow master".
> > Might it be changed by kmix or such...?
>
> I don´t know, but in my KMix setup the Mute-LED Mode is not within the
> displayed channels, but on available channels, so I didn´t see this.

kmix was just a wild guess from the past experiences, as it tends to
play wild. Might be something else. Who knows...

> > > That works. Thank you. Headphone I will check later.
> >
> > Interesting. Could you confirm that changing "Mute-LED Mode" really
> > mutes the output, not only changing the LED? This control was
> > supposed to behave independently from the sound output.
>
> When I set it back to "On" again output is muted. On setting "Off" or "Follow
> master" I can hear sound.

OK, then it's different from HP machines. Then I'm inclined to remove
this again, at least for Conexant codecs; it's tied with the actual
sound output, so changing it via this control is confusing.

thanks,

Takashi