2012-10-31 16:30:14

by Greg Kroah-Hartman

Subject: new daily bugzilla.kernel.org annoyance messages

Hi Konstantin,

Who is in charge of bugzilla.kernel.org? Yesterday I started getting a
"Here is a daily list of your outstanding bugs" email, saying:

You will get this message once a day until you've dealt with these bugs!

Who made this change?

And how do we turn it off?

Otherwise I'm just going to go and delete my bugzilla.kernel.org
account, as that's just about the most annoying thing I've seen in a
while. There are plenty of reasons why you don't want to send out
emails like this to developers and to do it every single day is pretty
rude.

thanks,

greg k-h

2012-10-31 16:35:50

by Konstantin Ryabitsev

On 31/10/12 12:30 PM, Greg KH wrote:
> Hi Konstantin,
>
> Who is in charge of bugzilla.kernel.org? Yesterday I started getting a
> "Here is a daily list of your outstanding bugs" email, saying:
>
> You will get this message once a day until you've dealt with these bugs!
>
> Who made this change?
>
> And how do we turn it off?
>
> Otherwise I'm just going to go and delete my bugzilla.kernel.org
> account, as that's just about the most annoying thing I've seen in a
> while. There are plenty of reasons why you don't want to send out
> emails like this to developers and to do it every single day is pretty
> rude.

Hi, Greg:

I'm sorry about that -- a few people wanted to use the "whine" option,
which required that I turn the functionality on. In turn, this annoyed
everyone with bugs assigned to it.

Let me see if setting "whinedays" to "0" will turn off the automated
whines while letting people set up custom whines as they needed. If that
doesn't work, then I'll set "whinedays" to 3650, so at least this way
the only bugs you'll get whines about will be those that have been "NEW"
for over 10 years. :)

Best,
--
Konstantin Ryabitsev
Systems Administrator

Attachments:
signature.asc (726.00 B)
OpenPGP digital signature

2012-10-31 16:45:14

by Greg Kroah-Hartman

On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 12:35:40PM -0400, Konstantin Ryabitsev wrote:
> On 31/10/12 12:30 PM, Greg KH wrote:
> > Hi Konstantin,
> >
> > Who is in charge of bugzilla.kernel.org? Yesterday I started getting a
> > "Here is a daily list of your outstanding bugs" email, saying:
> >
> > You will get this message once a day until you've dealt with these bugs!
> >
> > Who made this change?
> >
> > And how do we turn it off?
> >
> > Otherwise I'm just going to go and delete my bugzilla.kernel.org
> > account, as that's just about the most annoying thing I've seen in a
> > while. There are plenty of reasons why you don't want to send out
> > emails like this to developers and to do it every single day is pretty
> > rude.
>
> Hi, Greg:
>
> I'm sorry about that -- a few people wanted to use the "whine" option,
> which required that I turn the functionality on. In turn, this annoyed
> everyone with bugs assigned to it.
>
> Let me see if setting "whinedays" to "0" will turn off the automated
> whines while letting people set up custom whines as they needed. If that
> doesn't work, then I'll set "whinedays" to 3650, so at least this way
> the only bugs you'll get whines about will be those that have been "NEW"
> for over 10 years. :)

Thanks, that would be good. I didn't see anywhere where I could turn
the "whine" option off, or change it, what screen is it on?

thanks,

greg k-h

2012-10-31 16:49:43

by Konstantin Ryabitsev

On 31/10/12 12:45 PM, Greg KH wrote:
>> I'm sorry about that -- a few people wanted to use the "whine" option,
>> which required that I turn the functionality on. In turn, this annoyed
>> everyone with bugs assigned to it.
>>
>> Let me see if setting "whinedays" to "0" will turn off the automated
>> whines while letting people set up custom whines as they needed. If that
>> doesn't work, then I'll set "whinedays" to 3650, so at least this way
>> the only bugs you'll get whines about will be those that have been "NEW"
>> for over 10 years. :)
>
> Thanks, that would be good. I didn't see anywhere where I could turn
> the "whine" option off, or change it, what screen is it on?

I don't think that's user-settable, as I'm afraid the whole concept of
"whines" is that users can't turn them off. Which is stupid, of course,
as we all know how to set up incoming mail filters.

At any rate, there shouldn't be any future automated whines. If anyone
receives one after today, just let me know and I'll make sure it's off
for good, even if I have to remove the cronjob.

Konstantin Ryabitsev
Systems Administrator
Linux Foundation, kernel.org
Montréal, Québec

Attachments:
signature.asc (726.00 B)
OpenPGP digital signature

2012-10-31 16:56:55

by Alan

> > Let me see if setting "whinedays" to "0" will turn off the automated
> > whines while letting people set up custom whines as they needed. If that
> > doesn't work, then I'll set "whinedays" to 3650, so at least this way
> > the only bugs you'll get whines about will be those that have been "NEW"
> > for over 10 years. :)
>
> Thanks, that would be good. I didn't see anywhere where I could turn
> the "whine" option off, or change it, what screen is it on?

Turning off by default would indeed be a good thing™.

Is there any chance of also setting it so that anyone who is assigned a
bug can close it not just a few people with magical powers and the filer ?

Alan

2012-10-31 19:43:25

by Konstantin Ryabitsev

On 31/10/12 01:01 PM, Alan Cox wrote:
> Is there any chance of also setting it so that anyone who is assigned a
> bug can close it not just a few people with magical powers and the filer ?

I'm not that adept at bugzilla admin bits yet (clearly), but if I'm
reading the docs correctly, the assignee should be allowed to do pretty
much anything with the bugs:

"By default, assignees, QA owners and users with editbugs privileges can
edit all fields of bugs, except group restrictions (unless they are
members of the groups they are trying to change)."

Is that not the case?